Which headphones/Audio Interface do you use?

AKA Wayne

Re: Which headphones/Audio Interface do you use?

Post by AKA Wayne »

monospace wrote:
AKA Wayne wrote:I’ve got the kz s10 pros in a box. I guess I ought to try them out.
Just make sure you get a good seal. It is absolutely crucial that no outside sounds get through, or you’ll lose the bass response and everything sounds like *ss. The rubber tips it comes with are garbage. I’ve tried both flanged tips and foam tips; I personally prefer the foam.
That’s actually why I never tried them. I couldn’t get a good fit. I tried them on this morning though and got a pretty good fit. Can you recommend a certain brand of foam tip?
monospace

Post by monospace »

I got some no-name foams from Amazon for 6 or 7 bucks. Brand doesn’t really matter as you’ll need to replace them after a couple months anyway. (They get kinda nasty after a while, which is normal.) I recommend getting a box of foams of different sizes first, to figure out an optimal fit. I ended up using the largest size. Then just get a replacement set of just that size only. You can get bulk packaging for really cheap.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
lalo

Post by lalo »

What do you think of this headphone amp https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/phonitor-one/ which has something called "adjustable crossfeed" which basically let you set how much of the stereo channels you want to hear on each ear. In a classic headphones setup you hear what's panned right only in the right ear and what's left on the left ear but this crossfeed lets you put some of on the left onto the right and viceversa, creating a more speaker listening experience, if you can't understand my english here is the official description of this:
"in the headphone amplifier is the Phonitor Matrix, with adjustable crossfeed, thanks to which you can create mixes with headphones that sound the same on speakers. The Phonitor Matrix in its largest expansion stage has three setting parameters: Crossfeed, Speaker Angle and Center Level.

In the Phonitor One, the center level is preset to -1 dB and the speaker angle to 30°. These are the most commonly used values.

The crossfeed function determines the crosstalk of the channels, the so-called interaural level difference. The intensity of the crossfeed is fully variable.

At the beginning of the control path the function is not in the audio path. It is only switched on by adding it via relay (hysteresis circuit). The audio signal therefore does not pass through the crossfeed stage if this is not desired."

Since many are using the best recorded samples available with SD3, do you think this headphone amp will improve the listening experience or this is just more suited for mixing?
anton

Post by anton »

lalo wrote:What do you think of this headphone amp https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/phonitor-one/ which has something called "adjustable crossfeed" which basically let you set how much of the stereo channels you want to hear on each ear. In a classic headphones setup you hear what's panned right only in the right ear and what's left on the left ear but this crossfeed lets you put some of on the left onto the right and viceversa, creating a more speaker listening experience, if you can't understand my english here is the official description of this:
"in the headphone amplifier is the Phonitor Matrix, with adjustable crossfeed, thanks to which you can create mixes with headphones that sound the same on speakers. The Phonitor Matrix in its largest expansion stage has three setting parameters: Crossfeed, Speaker Angle and Center Level.

In the Phonitor One, the center level is preset to -1 dB and the speaker angle to 30°. These are the most commonly used values.

The crossfeed function determines the crosstalk of the channels, the so-called interaural level difference. The intensity of the crossfeed is fully variable.

At the beginning of the control path the function is not in the audio path. It is only switched on by adding it via relay (hysteresis circuit). The audio signal therefore does not pass through the crossfeed stage if this is not desired."

Since many are using the best recorded samples available with SD3, do you think this headphone amp will improve the listening experience or this is just more suited for mixing?
Depends on the headphones you'r using and how easy/hard they are to drive and if you call yourself an audiophile
For me this looks like overkill
A JDS Labs Atom for example will give you more than enough power to drive most headphones and improve your listening experience alot for just 1/5 of the SPL Amps price
lalo

Post by lalo »

The idea I want to discuss here is regarding the adjustable crossfeed feature, not the amp itself, or searching for a cheaper option...
I ask SPL directly and just got their reply: "If you use the Phonitor Matrix for listening, it helps preventing hearing fatigue caused by the super stereo effect." so it seems this is more suited for listening to music rather than monitoring SD3 since there's not really hard instrument panning in SD3. Anyway, cool feature.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

monospace wrote:
AKA Wayne wrote:I’ve got the kz s10 pros in a box. I guess I ought to try them out.
Just make sure you get a good seal. It is absolutely crucial that no outside sounds get through, or you’ll lose the bass response and everything sounds like *ss. The rubber tips it comes with are garbage. I’ve tried both flanged tips and foam tips; I personally prefer the foam.
I bought mine through Luke's (Edrum Workshop) Amazon affiliate links. He and Justin Greenawalt of 65 Drums, Mike Luke and Marcel and Steph of v-drum tips (on hiatus) have been very helpful to me in my quest to build an edrum kit non edrummers find playable.

Here is the video where Luke recommended them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYXkjMPbZGU
There are separate links for US and UK

Luke's tip to get the New Bee (different branding but same product on UK link) foam tips was priceless. They are comfortable and block all outside sound. The KZ KS10 Pro's are made by several companies. Luke's link is the Yinoo, The other manufacturer name I've seen more often (on Head-fi.org) is Linsoul.
Last edited by dsteinschneider on Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
anton

Post by anton »

Go my Motu M2 today and oh my god what difference it is compared to my previous Steinberg UR22 MKII regarding sound and latency
Unfortunately I just have some Sennheiser CX 3.0 at home which are realy good for their given price but the isolation is not that good.

Have to get my Moondrop Starfields from the office and check them out on the Motu.
lalo

Post by lalo »

I use the focusrite scarlet 4i4 third gen but it has a couple of issues that bother me, the 3/4 inputs on the back are fix level and my iphone/ipad only records what's connected to the front XLR inputs on 1/2 and their control app doesn't work when connected as standalone with the ipad/iphone so one cannot make any changes to the routing, even when connected to my mac the interface only lets you change routings for inputs 1/2, while inputs 3/4 alway go to the master out at a fixed level...
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

I bought an On-Stage HA4000 headphone 4 channel headphone amplifier. I picked it based on a detailed review by someone who had previously used the Fifine N6 and the Behringer HA400 and thought the On-Stage sounded better. I run out my Behringer UMC204HD headphone jack into the HA4000 and connect IEM's to Output 1, Headphones to Output 2 and finally a Fosi M.2 sub amp to Output 3. The reason I bought the amp was to power the sub into a throne thumper, an added benefit was I like how my IEM's and headphones sound better through it.
ledoov

Post by ledoov »

dsteinschneider wrote:Headphones: Sennheiser HD280
IEM: KZ ZS10 Pro

The HD280s sound good with my Behringer UMC204HD

The KZs sound even better. There's something about they way they sound for edrums, just right.
I tried the HD280 Pro seinheizer out of my MacBook Pro and I didn’t feel they had any kick even at high volume. Should I get a focusrite or other to power them?