Do you use all 3 zones of a crash cymbal or just one ? Mute Cymbal?

Rob
Site Admin

Re: Do you use all 3 zones of a crash cymbal or just one ? Mute Cymbal?

Post by Rob »

Agreed. All the zones come in handy when the drums aren't driving the music. Bell sense is great for this purpose. Being able to softly tap the bell area and actually reliablly trigger the bell is perfect for such moments.
Ratamacue

Post by Ratamacue »

....yes, and before eDRUMin there was no reliable way to softly tap the bell of my Roland rides. I was blown away the first time I used bell sense.
Ludwig Breakbeats A2E | DDRUM Redshots, Roland RT-30K | Roland PD-120, CY-5, CY-14 (2), CY-15R, VH-10, Yamaha PCY155 | (2) ED10 + ED4 | SD3 + EZD3 + BFD3 | ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 40GB | Behringer UMC404HD
punkouter2021

Post by punkouter2021 »

which roland ride is that ?
Ratamacue wrote:....yes, and before eDRUMin there was no reliable way to softly tap the bell of my Roland rides. I was blown away the first time I used bell sense.
monospace

Post by monospace »

As it happens, I have three of the Roland ride-type cymbals, the CY-12, 13, and 15. I like the form factor and the swinging motion, but only the 15 is actually in use as a ride. That said, Bell Sense works beautifully on all of them (and on my CY-14 crash as well), with only a single cable. Having all three-zone cymbals greatly enhances the playing experience.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Ratamacue

Post by Ratamacue »

punkouter2021 wrote:which roland ride is that ?
I have a Roland CY-15. One cable with the eDRUMin works better than dual cable with my Roland module. Like Monospace, I also get bell sense to work with my Roland CY-14s. I use the CY-15 bell sense setting the for the CY-14s with minor tweaking.

I also have a Yamaha PCY155 ride. I get all three zones with one cable through eDRUMin, which is something you can not do on a Roland module. So, you can get full functionality of the Roland and Yamaha cymbals through eDRUMin.
Ludwig Breakbeats A2E | DDRUM Redshots, Roland RT-30K | Roland PD-120, CY-5, CY-14 (2), CY-15R, VH-10, Yamaha PCY155 | (2) ED10 + ED4 | SD3 + EZD3 + BFD3 | ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 40GB | Behringer UMC404HD
monospace

Post by monospace »

On a related note, I wish there was some more documentation in the manual about the different “Cymbal Type” options for Bell Sense. It seems like they range in sensitivity between the types listed (CY-8, CY-13, AND CY-15) but, for example, I’m getting much better results on my CY-13 with the CY-8 setting than I do with the CY-13 setting. Seems counterintuitive.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
punkouter2021

Post by punkouter2021 »

I have the Yamaha PCY155 too

Havent looked at the bell sense settings but I seem to get all 3 zones ok
Ratamacue

Post by Ratamacue »

punkouter2021 wrote:I have the Yamaha PCY155 too

Havent looked at the bell sense settings but I seem to get all 3 zones ok
You wouldn't need bell sense settings with thee Yamahas as eDRUMin implements them the same way a Yamaha module would. (i.e., one cable and three zones). The Roland ride bell responsiveness is not great even with Roland modules and two cables. Indeed, you can find YouTube hacks on improving the trigger response of a CY-15r by disassembling the cymbal and adding duck tape over the tape switch area. Bell sense was an attractive selling point for Roland users who sought better bell responsiveness from their Roland rides. As it turns out, "bell sense" and "edge sense" may have broader applicability across different types of pads, but not all pads. It is helpful to review the unofficially supported pads section of the eDRUMin forum: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=611
Rotil66

Post by Rotil66 »

I would agree that it depents on the music style if you need all these articulations on a crash... But I just received my ED10 a few day's ago. So I sat down to see what I could do with my Yamaha 135/155 crashes and it's really great. (and usefull)
I have created a Bell area with the bell sense option...
And with some stacking and velocity ranging in SD3. I now have all the articulations of Superior drummer 3 available. The makes it possible to play with far more nuance..... Now I can play:
bell, bell shrank, bow, bow shrank, Crash and shoke all.
Than that with a simple dualzone cymbalpad.
yes the bell sound are occasionally usefull in certain styles.
But what the hack, it's there for free so why don't learn to use it......
You could also use it for a cowbell sound or whatever....
It's a electronic kit so why not abandoning traditional thinking???
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

I’ve noticed the ezdrummer2 kits I’ve looked at similarly have just an edge articulation. I have not noticed anything negative with this, but I normally just crash a crash.

Only thing I noticed is when I send the eDRUMin MIDI back to my slave TD-17 module because I have my eDRUMin mapped to ezdrummer2 I’ll need to use the banks feature to have a bow and edge MIDI note for the TD-17. Extra work and step for me (if I care enough to make the change).
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.