Getting support for ATV EXS-5 drums

Relic

Re: Getting support for ATV EXS-5 drums

Post by Relic »

Mylo wrote:I have ATV Artist cymbals and they work great, bell sense and all. Based on your comments of getting just single zones on everything it seems like you are using TS cables instead of TRS cables. Just a guess.
I use top quality trs cables, but I'm sure its just something I'm still not understanding. I will keep trying to learn from whats out there though. I just figured that on the drums it would be amazing if there was a setting specifically for ATV drums the way there is Yamaha which uses a different type of 3 piezo setup afaik. I appreciate your help
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

My quick searches show that there is no positional sensing support for ATV EXS-5 pads with the ATV module or Roland modules.

I'm still interested in looking at some data from them, though.

Update your eDRUMin to version 1.3. After you have done that, reply here and I will give instructions on how to capture data from your pad.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Rob wrote:My quick searches show that there is no positional sensing support for ATV EXS-5 pads with the ATV module or Roland modules.

I'm still interested in looking at some data from them, though.

Update your eDRUMin to version 1.3. After you have done that, reply here and I will give instructions on how to capture data from your pad.
Just checked & I'm already on version 1.3.0.28. ready
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Okay.

1. Make sure 'auto-select' is on in Control Application.
2. Make sure the pad type is set to side mounted mech pad.
3. Right click on the eDRUMin logo five times and left click on it once. I record button will appear above the velocity curve area.
4. Click the record button to start recording.
5. Using a medium amount of force hit your pad about 20 times slowly moving across the head of the pad from left to right.
6. Hit the rim of your pad about 20 times from soft to hard.
7. Press the record button again to stop recording.
8. Email me the file ED_Data.hex that will appear on your desktop to support at audiofront dot net.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Relic wrote:I just wanted there to be a setting that allows me to use all 3 piezos,
What do you mean ? Those three piezo are supposed to produced the same thing as one center piezo. The reason they put three pezio is to eliminate the hotspot. Those three piezo never give you more than one sound, neither with a Roland Module nor with anyone else.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

ATV info is very confusing. The site suggests that rim shots are available but the manual says otherwise.

Here are screen shots from the xD3 and aD5 manuals on what is supported.
95C589C3-E2C4-417D-8476-924A070FE77E.jpeg
95C589C3-E2C4-417D-8476-924A070FE77E.jpeg (407.53 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
52BFCADF-8A51-44BF-AF64-B883FECC6AF3.jpeg
52BFCADF-8A51-44BF-AF64-B883FECC6AF3.jpeg (513.8 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
The snare input is the only drum that supports rim triggering. Makes me wonder if they put a rim sensor in the snare as well as the three head sensors. The toms on the other hand all appear to be single zone pads.

Now none of that means Rob (aka The Wizard) can’t work some magic.
lalo

Post by lalo »

The atv toms are single zone but only when used with atv modules, used with any other module they are dual zone. ATV says keeping them single zone helps with latency and performance...
Relic

Post by Relic »

Mylo wrote:ATV info is very confusing. The site suggests that rim shots are available but the manual says otherwise.

Here are screen shots from the xD3 and aD5 manuals on what is supported.
95C589C3-E2C4-417D-8476-924A070FE77E.jpeg
52BFCADF-8A51-44BF-AF64-B883FECC6AF3.jpeg
The snare input is the only drum that supports rim triggering. Makes me wonder if they put a rim sensor in the snare as well as the three head sensors. The toms on the other hand all appear to be single zone pads.

Now none of that means Rob (aka The Wizard) can’t work some magic.
the pic I posted is exactly the same way the 10" ATV drums are setup they have 3 piezos inside them the kickdrum I think even uses the same 3 piezos afaik(haven't opened it & you can't see through thick meshthe kickdrum utilizes)
Relic

Post by Relic »

Sly wrote:
Relic wrote:I just wanted there to be a setting that allows me to use all 3 piezos,
What do you mean ? Those three piezo are supposed to produced the same thing as one center piezo. The reason they put three pezio is to eliminate the hotspot. Those three piezo never give you more than one sound, neither with a Roland Module nor with anyone else.
then is it normal that I'm able to get multiple sounds of rim shots on every drum? (I don't know much about piezos),I haven't figured out how thats the case?
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi Rob,

did you figure out the optimal setting.
I have here the ATV xD-P13M Snare/Tom Pad with the same piezo setup.
I just have some issues triggering sidesticks, I get them ...but not quite reliable.

Thanks!