Larger units with more inputs?

Rob
Site Admin

Re: Larger units with more inputs?

Post by Rob »

I'm sure I'm going to be answering questions about a larger device a lot. All I can say is that my priority is to make eDRUMin the best device it can be. That is my duty to my customers. When I've made the device as user friendly as possible and squeezed every last bit performance out of it, I will start to consider a larger device with more inputs.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Thanks Rob. Can’t wait to get mine. I hear it is pretty awesome already. :)
post@martijnvanderput.nl

Post by post@martijnvanderput.nl »

Rob wrote:I'm sure I'm going to be answering questions about a larger device a lot. All I can say is that my priority is to make eDRUMin the best device it can be. That is my duty to my customers. When I've made the device as user friendly as possible and squeezed every last bit performance out of it, I will start to consider a larger device with more inputs.
It is a good thing to hear that you start considering making larger units!

As other people already said the demo-video's look amazing and this product could potentially be by far the best option to connect your drums to a VST, if..... Yes there is a big if... Most drumkits consists of a 7 piece minimum set (mine is 9 piece) and a lot of them are larger. If you want to fully go the VST-road, you will want 1 device to attach your drums to your pc/mac.
Currently as far as I know there is only 1 competitive product with eDrumin, which is the MegaDrum. However, the MegaDrum consists of a minimal of 24 outputs up to 52 and does contains positional sensing and would cost you around $150. However MegaDrum is more DIY and a hell of a beast to configure (of what I've read).

So, for the less DIY-guys who want to go the VST-route with Roland-style cymbals and hi hat, they have 2 options, buy an older Roland module and connect it through midi OR buy the eDrumin.
But if you want only one device instead of a combination of multiple devices and do the math, you need 2 or 3 eDrumin modules. If I buy 2 eDrumin modules, it would cost me around $360 including VAT in Europe, I could also buy a used Roland TD12 for the same price and the Roland also supports the VH11/12 hi hat, includes positional sensing on the snare, toms and ride and possibly has some other benefits.

If you want the eDrumin to be really a break-through product and defeat the MegaDrum and the old-Roland-module-VST-route, you need a device with more outputs with a competitive price.
For me the current version feels more like a little extension module if you don't have a roland module to connect to a VST and want to use for example a VH11 hi hat or if your current unit runs out of inputs. In that way the eDrumin it not reaching its full potential.
Pim

Post by Pim »

post@martijnvanderput.nl wrote: It is a good thing to hear that you start considering making larger units!

As other people already said the demo-video's look amazing and this product could potentially be by far the best option to connect your drums to a VST, if..... Yes there is a big if... Most drumkits consists of a 7 piece minimum set (mine is 9 piece) and a lot of them are larger. If you want to fully go the VST-road, you will want 1 device to attach your drums to your pc/mac.
Currently as far as I know there is only 1 competitive product with eDrumin, which is the MegaDrum. However, the MegaDrum consists of a minimal of 24 outputs up to 52 and does contains positional sensing and would cost you around $150. However MegaDrum is more DIY and a hell of a beast to configure (of what I've read).

So, for the less DIY-guys who want to go the VST-route with Roland-style cymbals and hi hat, they have 2 options, buy an older Roland module and connect it through midi OR buy the eDrumin.
But if you want only one device instead of a combination of multiple devices and do the math, you need 2 or 3 eDrumin modules. If I buy 2 eDrumin modules, it would cost me around $360 including VAT in Europe, I could also buy a used Roland TD12 for the same price and the Roland also supports the VH11/12 hi hat, includes positional sensing on the snare, toms and ride and possibly has some other benefits.

If you want the eDrumin to be really a break-through product and defeat the MegaDrum and the old-Roland-module-VST-route, you need a device with more outputs with a competitive price.
For me the current version feels more like a little extension module if you don't have a roland module to connect to a VST and want to use for example a VH11 hi hat or if your current unit runs out of inputs. In that way the eDrumin it not reaching its full potential.
Hi,

I also thought about buying an old Roland module (e.g. the TD12 you mentioned). I'm glad I took the risk and bought the eDrumin. I didn't know how well it would work with my pads, but the eDrumin really works like a charm.
Here's why I think the eDrumin is a better solution overall:

1. The price is lower for 2 eDrumins than for the TD12. They'd would cost a little under 350$ in Europe (including VAT). The cheapest TD12 I found when I just checked was 350 EUR (not $)...but most of them were priced at 400-450 EUR.

2. Two eDrumins are less bulky and lighter than the TD12. Easier to travel and gig with.

3. No additional power supply needed for the eDrumins. They are powered via USB...just plug them into an USB-Hub.

4. Cable management is easier/shorter cables can be used. Put the individual eDrumins close to the pads that are used.

5. You get an amazing software with an user-friendly UI. I find it better and more convenient than to dial in the pads with the menu of my module.

6. Speaking of software: with the Edge Sense function, it might be that you can use one input of the eDrumin with a normal Y-cable to connect two pads and still get 4 individual sounds. It worked for me (or rather with my pads). That gives you the chance that you might have double the inputs suddenly.

7. The next point was a huge selling point for me: Roland gear works great with the eDrumin. But you are not limited to Roland. Got Yamaha pads? Or other brands? Great, you can use them with the eDrumin, too. A TD12 module limits you in that regard immensly.

All in all, the eDrumin is the superior product in my opinion. Cheaper, more convenient, more flexible. At least when you are a VST-drummer. Additionally, I'd rather support an innovative one-man-company than to buy used Roland gear. By the way, this also makes it more likely that other products get released in the future.

Best regards,
Pim
Last edited by Pim on Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

It is a good thing to hear that you start considering making larger units!

Currently as far as I know there is only...
Much better explanation of what I was trying to say.

For me an eight input unit at $200-$250 would be great option. I can have one on either side of the kit. Setup a small USB hub in the kit as well. Shorter cable runs to the eDRUMin. One cable to the PC. Cable management would be so much easier.

Pim makes some good points as well and I can’t wait to get mine (ordered a week ago). I’ll play the role of early adopter. The software and well written manual alone was enough to get me off the fence. MegaDrum is great, but man... the setup. I suspect I’ll be ordering two maybe three more.
post@martijnvanderput.nl

Pim wrote: Hi,

I also thought about buying an old Roland module (e.g. the TD12 you mentioned). I'm glad I took the risk and bought the eDrumin. I didn't know how well it would work with my pads, but the eDrumin really works like a charm.

1. The price is lower for 2 eDrumins than for the TD12. They'd would cost a little under 350$ in Europe (including VAT). The cheapest TD12 I found when I just checked was 350 EUR (not $)...but most of them were priced at 400-450 EUR.

2. Two eDrumins are less bulky and lighter than the TD12. Easier to travel and gig with.

3. No additional power supply needed for the eDrumins. They are powered via USB...just plug them into an USB-Hub.

4. Cable management is easier/shorter cables can be used. Put the individual eDrumins close to the pads that are used.

5. You get an amazing software with an user-friendly UI. I find it better and more convenient than to dial in the pads with the menu of my module.

6. Speaking of software: with the Edge Sense function, it might be that you can use one input of the eDrumin with a normal Y-cable to connect two pads and still get 4 individual sounds. It worked for me (or rather with my pads). That gives you the chance that you might have double the inputs suddenly.

7. The next point was a huge selling point for me: Roland gear works great with the eDrumin. But you are not limited to Roland. Got Yamaha pads? Or other brands? Great, you can use them with the eDrumin, too. A TD12 module limits you in that regard immensly.

All in all, the eDrumin is the superior product in my opinion. Cheaper, more convenient, more flexible. At least when you are a VST-drummer. Additionally, I'd rather support an innovative one-man-company than to buy used Roland gear. By the way, this also makes it more likely that other products get released in the future.

Best regards,
Pim
Hi Pim,

I do believe that the eDrumin has something good in it. And indeed 2 eDrumin modules are including VAT (and ordered seperately to prevent import tax) are about € 326,-. But I need 3 eDrumin modules for my 9 piece set (which maybe even expanded tot 10 or 11 pieces) and I don't feel comfortable starting splitting inputs with Y-cables. and 3 eDrumin modules comes to € 489,-

1) I happen to have bought a TD-12 today for € 349,-with a lot of VEX packs included. However, I am still going to hook it up through midi to my VST. But this also gives me the ability to quickly startup and play without a pc connected.

2) For me it is used as a static drumset at home and it is not going to be dragged around to gigs, so that one doesn't count for me. But dragging 1 module and hooking it up or dragging 3 little ones and hooking it up, does it really matter?

3 & 4 & 5) true

6) As mentioned before, splitting inputs with Y-cables and let the software do its magic doesn't sound to stable to me. But that is just a personal preference.

7) In most cases I'd rather use Roland hardware than other brands, but that is also a personal preference.

For me the eDrumin can be superior, but the current version is too limited with the inputs, which makes the price out of balance.
Additionally, I'd rather trigger an innovative one-man-company to improve the product to really standout and give it a broader market to serve. ;)
Pim

Post by Pim »

post@martijnvanderput.nl wrote:
Pim wrote: Hi,

Best regards,
Pim
Hi Pim,

I do believe that the eDrumin has something good in it. And indeed 2 eDrumin modules are including VAT (and ordered seperately to prevent import tax) are about € 326,-. But I need 3 eDrumin modules for my 9 piece set (which maybe even expanded tot 10 or 11 pieces) and I don't feel comfortable starting splitting inputs with Y-cables. and 3 eDrumin modules comes to € 489,-

1) I happen to have bought a TD-12 today for € 349,-with a lot of VEX packs included. However, I am still going to hook it up through midi to my VST. But this also gives me the ability to quickly startup and play without a pc connected.

2) For me it is used as a static drumset at home and it is not going to be dragged around to gigs, so that one doesn't count for me. But dragging 1 module and hooking it up or dragging 3 little ones and hooking it up, does it really matter?

3 & 4 & 5) true

6) As mentioned before, splitting inputs with Y-cables and let the software do its magic doesn't sound to stable to me. But that is just a personal preference.

7) In most cases I'd rather use Roland hardware than other brands, but that is also a personal preference.

For me the eDrumin can be superior, but the current version is too limited with the inputs, which makes the price out of balance.
Additionally, I'd rather trigger an innovative one-man-company to improve the product to really standout and give it a broader market to serve. ;)
Hi again,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I understand that everyone has their individual situation and therefore preferences. So if you want to be able to also have on-board sounds as a backup, the eDrumin cannot provide that, that's true.

About 'letting the software do its magic'...well, in the end, it's always just 'relying on the software doing a stable job'. Even in modules. If it works, does it matter?

If you are exclusively using Roland gear, then this selling point vanishes, too. Since you mentioned that the eDrumin is too expensive (or out of balance) compared to the number of inputs provided: I think the price is fair for what you get but as you said, it always depends on the personal (and financial) situation. Comparing the price of the eDrumin to Roland prices, I think rather the latter is charging too much for their E-drum gear. Again, it comes down to personal preferences.

But I can understand the thought process behind your post: if enough people say that they'd buy a eDrumin if it had more inputs, it will make it more likely that a bigger version will be developed some day.
I guess, first enough units (of the "small" eDrumin) need to be sold to generate income and show that the development of the current eDrumin was worthwhile in the first place. And as Rob mentioned, he will squeeze out every bit of performance first.
So a bigger unit might come our way some day in the future...but who knows when. In the end, it IS a one-man-company, it's not easy to improve the existing product(s) and simultaniously design a new product (almost) from scratch.

Best regards,
Pim
post@martijnvanderput.nl

Pim wrote:
Hi again,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I understand that everyone has their individual situation and therefore preferences. So if you want to be able to also have on-board sounds as a backup, the eDrumin cannot provide that, that's true.

About 'letting the software do its magic'...well, in the end, it's always just 'relying on the software doing a stable job'. Even in modules. If it works, does it matter?

If you are exclusively using Roland gear, then this selling point vanishes, too. Since you mentioned that the eDrumin is too expensive (or out of balance) compared to the number of inputs provided: I think the price is fair for what you get but as you said, it always depends on the personal (and financial) situation. Comparing the price of the eDrumin to Roland prices, I think rather the latter is charging too much for their E-drum gear. Again, it comes down to personal preferences.

But I can understand the thought process behind your post: if enough people say that they'd buy a eDrumin if it had more inputs, it will make it more likely that a bigger version will be developed some day.
I guess, first enough units (of the "small" eDrumin) need to be sold to generate income and show that the development of the current eDrumin was worthwhile in the first place. And as Rob mentioned, he will squeeze out every bit of performance first.
So a bigger unit might come our way some day in the future...but who knows when. In the end, it IS a one-man-company, it's not easy to improve the existing product(s) and simultaniously design a new product (almost) from scratch.

Best regards,
Pim
Hi, also again ;)

I sure understand that everyone has a different point of view, different situation and different opinion and I totally respect that.

With your last point that the eDrumin is a one-man company and the current version has to be sold first before there is maybe even time or budget to create a bigger version, I 100% agree. Based on what I saw in the demo-video's, I would recommend everyone to try this product, even though I don't have one myself (yet)....

About the Roland parts, yes they are too expensive, but the build quality is most of the time better than other brands. However, at this moment I only have a Roland TD-12 module, all my other components are different brands. I used to have other Roland parts in the past and I bought most of them used, because of the lower price.

I just hope that such an innovative and promising product as the eDrumin will keep evolving and grow into a worldwide-known brand. Because the potential is there!
BenoitL

Post by BenoitL »

Hello
Anybody to explain how to connect 2 eDrumin module to have 8 input
I dont understand how to do that
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

You don’t really connect them. If your PC has enough USB ports just plug them in. The eDRUMin controller software will recognize and let you configure up to 4 devices at once. If you don’t have enough ports on the PC then a simple USB hub works just fine.