some help needed on first attempt to connect

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
AKA Wayne

Re: some help needed on first attempt to connect

Post by AKA Wayne »

Do you have the sd3 map selected in edrumin? If so click the drums icon next to where it shows snare on the right side in the pic above. It will them show a graphic of the kit in the UI box on the right side of the screen. Hit your snare pad to light up/select the appropriate trigger then click the snare kit piece in the dum kit graphic UI. Then hit Tom 1 and select the Tom 1 kit piece and repeat. If you have a highly customized set you will need to go into the midi menu in SD3 and and change things to your liking. That is not to hard and pretty intuitive to use the learn function.
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

right but I can't be mapping the drums in sd3 until I have the midi mappings done correctly in eDrumin correct? right now almost all of my drums are snares when I het them. the snare is a kick and the kick is a snare. Seems like I would need to match up the midi notes in ed with what shows for each graphic when clicked in SD3 no? I do know how to use the learn etc in SD3 but pretty sure the mapping in ED needs to match what is in SD3 per kit piece in the graphic? then I can map the kit pieces in SD3?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Unless you have a huge kit you should do it the way I describe in edrumin. Then if you need any further custimazation use sd3. For example I wanted to have for dual trigger toms a dual trigger snare, three edge and bow crashes, two 3 zone rides and a 2 zone hi hat. Some sd3 don't have that many kit pieces so I have to use the midi note learn in SD3. When I wanted to add a cowbell I has to do the same thing. But start within edrumin. It's pretty easy.
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

I really think that once I figure out how to change all the midi notes in ED to match the note assignments in SD3 per instrument/kit piece, it will just work. Anyone disagree? I'm really not having success with just setting the drum map to superior drummer. It's definitely going to require some manual midi assignments expecially b/c I have a large kit and using two ED boxes, the midi is likely duplicated. If anyone can just tell me how to manually change the midi notes, the guide on this part is a bit confusing (or I'm just a dope. lol) but I cannot figure out how to manually edit the notes so I can set each pad midi note to correspond to the ones in SD3. It seems logical that if the notes per pad in ED matches the notes per pad in SD3 (meaning the graphic, not the physical pads) then it should all work. No?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Pg 10/55 in the manual. If you have not read it yet I highly suggest it. It is not long, has lots of visuals and goes a long way of the UI is not intuitive enough for you.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

There isn't a written in stone note assignment standard for edrum hardware and software. Even Superior Drummer note assignments vary depending on the kit designers. I think the goal should be to simplify as best you can but anticipate that you will need to tweak different kits. This makes sense because people have different kit configurations (4 vs 5 piece - various cymbal combinations etc) that don't match the default kit layout used in a library.

I concluded that using the Roland note map as a base standard makes the most sense. So I use that map in the eDRUMin and in Superior Drummer. I still have to re-assign notes when setting up new libraries.

I find it normal to tweak the 3 zone cymbals and 3 zone snares for each library. Also sometimes I assign my floor tom to the second of two floor toms in a library instead of the first.

Even with the amount of effort I put into standardizing I still find myself pulling up a kit occasionlly and finding that things need to be re-assigned.

It pays to make notes on how you have a kit setup on both the eDRUMin and software once you have things right.

In Superior Drummer I save a separate User Preset drum map for each library kit I use. I name them, for example, "ED10 - LoR - Jet Black" for Legends of Rock - Gretsch Jet Black. Just in case things get changed inadventently I backup the preset folders.

I also backup the entire library kit setup as a project just in case I inadvertently change something.

Finally I make and save my own drum maps in the E10
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Yep, just read and what I am going to need to do in my case is manually set each note per pad/articulation to match same in SD3. then I think it should play the correct sounds. I forgot about the custom note option which is how you assign the notes. And yes, I'm going to create a list of my SD3 mappings and I always back up my projects. So far I have the kick, snare, and all cymbals working without much tweaking, but the toms are where I will need to manually assign notes as 4 outta 5 toms are using the same note for some odd reason, despite using the superior drummer map. But I am finally starting to catch on. It's just that my brain at 51 sometimes is slow to do so. lol
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Sounds like you're out of the woods and well on your way to a well playing edrum setup. My 5 piece Ludwig Accent Combo with UFO cross bar triggers and 3 Yamaha PCY-155 for ride and crashes (PCY-135 for hi-hats mounted on a Ludwig hi-hat stand with a DIY Hall effect sensor mounted in a little project box attached using a Small Rig clamp to sense hard drive magnets attached to the rod has been performing flawlessly with the E10 for years now. Visiting "acoustic" drummers sit down and start playing the kit without missing a beat. I recently added an EV ZXA1 12" powered sub which was a big help in getting the kit to sound right in my rehearsal space.
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

dsteinschneider wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:25 pm
Sounds like you're out of the woods and well on your way to a well playing edrum setup. My 5 piece Ludwig Accent Combo with UFO cross bar triggers and 3 Yamaha PCY-155 for ride and crashes (PCY-135 for hi-hats mounted on a Ludwig hi-hat stand with a DIY Hall effect sensor mounted in a little project box attached using a Small Rig clamp to sense hard drive magnets attached to the rod has been performing flawlessly with the E10 for years now. Visiting "acoustic" drummers sit down and start playing the kit without missing a beat. I recently added an EV ZXA1 12" powered sub which was a big help in getting the kit to sound right in my rehearsal space.
Yeah, I got a ways to go though. per my other thread, I'm having an issue with some of the pads not working at all AND rack tom 1/floor tom2 are showing up on the same pad in ED and I can't assign them separately. what I set on one, dups on the other and vice versa. I sure do hope I can get these issues sorted out and don't end up finding I have a faulty unit. Hopefully it's just an issue with the wiring or something. Though, again, they have been working flawlessly on the strike before I switched over. if you you got any tips on either of these issues, please let me know. thanks
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

so I am finally getting closer to a working kit. got lots to clean up with my connections and such but I ended up ultimately having to manually assign midi note numbers in the control app for ED to match the correct ones in SD3 that correspond to the kit pieces. some stuff is not working right but hopefully when I clean up all my connections, things will start to work properly. For example, tom1 and floor tom2 for some reason are on the same midi note and I can't split them up. it's as if they are on the same wire or something which is weird b/c it was not like that with the strike module. Nonetheless I'm going to put all dual zone split pads on their own TRS jack and use the recommended Hosa splitter for each pair. (instead of the wires with metal connectors. This will make for cleaner, less cluttered, and more stable connections with little/if any room for a bad connection. I have had mixed results with those metal crimp wire connectors so I'M getting rid of those and doing it the recommended correct (but more expensive) way. lol I did find a 20 pack of GLS TRS jacks on Amazon for about $21 so that should work fine at minimal cost.