Show us your builds!

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
dsteinschneider

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by dsteinschneider »

I swear I've only ever seen that in the news 8-)
Rabidreject

Post by Rabidreject »

dsteinschneider wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 pm
I swear I've only ever seen that in the news 8-)
Lol same here if I’m honest!

I’m kind of just realising that using my webcam for online meetings is pretty infeasible with my Mac where it is lol
Probably just connect it to my tv and move my webcam rather than tearing it all down and moving it.
On a side note, not that it really matters to anyone but iv noticed that I actually find drum racks rele annoying lol
I got into electronic drums via quite a cheap route by buying second hand alesis equipment. I wanted to make sure I actually wanted to continue my drumming quest before I threw down real money.
Anyway, I first got a Dm5. Yes old school, I know, but it was very much an impulse purchace. When it came, I soon realised the rubber pads sucked and the module sounds also sucked so I replaced it with a DM10 module and a few of their DM10 style pads. I converted them to mesh with the 682Drums foam cones and double sided tape. I kept it like that really until quite recently, replacing other bits and bobs along the way.
All this time I used the drum rack that came with the Dm5. It was pretty darn unsturdy. I was using a 2box drummit pad and the clamp was broken so I used it for my snare as it was the nicest and biggest pad I had at the time but the rest was all mounted to the rack.
It started looking miserable like it was about to keel over at any moment. Gravity was not faring well on the pretty badly braced drum rack with plastic corners.
I was starting to replace the alesis 8” pads with bigger ones at this point and so the rack looked even more strained.
As I was still trying, for some reason, to build up a full DM10 kit I decided to buy a second hand alesis rack from eBay. Iv been using this rack ever since I got it and it was ok when I had the actual DM10 pads to go on it. The spacing was ok and it was nice to be able to mount as many cymbals as I had stands and pads as I had l rods but I soon realised I actually was after bigger pads and less of them rather than smaller pads and lots of them.
I also missed the inspiration I used to get from playing an acoustic kit so I started looking at cheap second hand shells in order to convert them.
It was really when I had switched from e kit style pads to acoustic style shells with triggers put into them that I started realising how annoying the rack was.
I was trying to put my rack Tom (I only use one 12” rack T) into the post in the kick drum the other day and noticed just how different the placement of it is with an acoustic shell as opposed to a drum pad on a rack.
I also realised shortly after buying my shells that actually fitting the rack in the right place is near impossible due to the foot spikes at the side of the kick.
It is definitely better now because I decided to actually use the old Dm5 rack parts to add to the DM10 one.
I decided to make two side racks instead of having both sides connected over the kick drum. I actually got the idea from the guy who did the ed10 review video. He quite often uses random rack parts and clamps to make all sorts of things so I nabbed the idea!
As I said before, I know this post is probably incredibly useless to everyone but I have no where else to talk about this shit! Haha

Iv had my ED4 for about a week now and it continually surprises me, in a good way, rather than the alesis gear I am used to. That stuff tended to surprise me in a bad way - or shock me I should say!
I’m still getting used to the fact you have to plug the TRS cable into the pad first and then the module. There have been a couple of times - most notably with the HH pedal when I first set it up and didn’t know how to use it- where I have plugged something in and it didn’t work but pretty quickly I figured out when I unplugged it and plugged it back in again it was fine. I love how clever this thing is.

Something else that is totally beyond my understanding is the 3 zone ride working better than it EVER did on the DM10 (bare in mind the cymbal was designed to work with the DM10!).
Not only does the bell zone work better than it ever did on the module it was designed to be used with, it’s also connected via 1 TRS connector.
I set it up and literally said to myself ‘What witchcraft is this?!!’
It really is incredible.
Iv never played on a module other than the ones I have owned so just a Dm5 and a DM10 but the ED4 is absolutely light years above them.
I am using an alesis trigger IO unit in conjunction with my ED4 at the moment until I can buy me an ed10 and it is CRAZY how different these two units are. The triggering is SO MUCH BETTER than the alesis unit, even for the triggers and pads that were designed and made by alesis (I mean, I know they are actually made by Medelli or whoever but you know what I mean!
I keep having double triggering issues on the alesis unit and it’s so hard to dial in the settings I need to dial in. Both physically in terms of actually being able to touch the right buttons for the right pads as well as the actual settings it allows me to dial in. I still can’t figure out my double triggering issues on the trig IO. When I plug the Same pads into the ED4 I don’t get the double triggering in the first place. It’s weird and I dunno but hopefully I won’t actually have to deal with it much longer!

Anyway, that is WAAAAY more information than anyone needs or wants but I’m not too bothered lol

My snare is working so much better now than it was on the alesis unit it’s CRAAAZY. You would think I had a new snare.
Oh also it’s a jobeky trigger and yes the signal is hot but not to the point where I have to turn the gain all the way down.
I did at first but then I just moved the actual trigger down so that it is barely touching the skin and now it is great.
So much better than a) it was before and b) it was on the alesis units.
Over all I am incredibly happy or to we than the fact it had made me want another one!
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

I also had double triggering issues before I got the eDRUMin. I started out with an Aleisis D4 and Dauz pads on a homemade rack (iron pipe and tee's)
Rabidreject

Post by Rabidreject »

Rah I bet your rack is industrial if your using iron pipes! Are they scaffolding pipes? I bet that’s so heavy duty! What you doing for cymbals?
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

My low volume mapex pro kit. Yamaha EAD10 handles the toms and kick. Roland TD3 for kick 2 , snare and cowbell, 2 crashes. Gen16 forvrest of cymbals for now. In process of finishing triggering the 3 zone ride and hihat . But waiting for edrumin shipments in fall to rid the td3, Gen16, and possibly the EAD10.

Drum triggers diy’d. 14 and 16 floor toms have 3 edge trigger formation for better triggering. 10 and 12 toms i use single sidemount since smaller head real estate so triggering is good. Snare center mounted.

Ead10 and td3 midi to macOs running Addictive Drums 2 and Reaper. Gen16 connected to mixer with usb. For recording, Addictive drums 2 plugin on channel 1, gen16 channel 2. No issues.

Really cant wait to get my hands on the edrumin modules. Edrumin10 pushed way out so guess I’ll buy 2 edrumin4.
Attachments
73739501-F564-42B1-AE57-9EF9FA4A8952.jpeg
73739501-F564-42B1-AE57-9EF9FA4A8952.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 7685 times
Kcowie

Post by Kcowie »

MWJT42 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Happy to chat through any of this.
Nice build! What drum rack did you use?
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

It's the Yamaha one with integrated cymbal mounts, not sure of the exact model.

My build has changed a little now, an extra floor tom and now using Lemon rubber cymbals - got fed up of fixing things!
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

0121230842_HDR.jpg
0121230842_HDR.jpg (278.99 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
The Kit: 1984 Tama Imperialstar. Designed and 3D printed my own dual zone triggers. Snare has all ten lugs connect to trigger, the rest of the toms have four. Standard 27mm piezos on head and 35mm rim piezos. Quartz cones, they're the best and totally worth the money.
0121230855_HDR.jpg
0121230855_HDR.jpg (254.71 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
1204221705.jpg
1204221705.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 7633 times

I'll go into the rest tomorrow. I'm getting sleepy.
Ridge74

Post by Ridge74 »

Here´s my set..
Attachments
003.jpg
003.jpg (280.92 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (309.39 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (301.74 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
Diamond Drum kit with low volume cymbals, two eDRUMin 10
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Premier A2E conversion - a mix of 70s/80s/90s Premier parts I had lying around: 20x8, 10x6, 13x11, 14x12, 12x5 snare
eDRUMin 10
Lemon cymbals: 2 x crash, 1 x 3-zone ride, 2pc hi-hat
Heads: Roland MH2 Powerply on snare (for excellent PS), Jobeky tri-ply on BD & toms
8231-8236-1500px.jpg
8231-8236-1500px.jpg (302.77 KiB) Viewed 7495 times
R-Drums Monogon trigger on DIY aluminiun mount
R-Drums Monogon trigger on DIY aluminiun mount
IMG_1293.jpg (208.9 KiB) Viewed 7495 times
DIY two zone snare trigger and mount
DIY two zone snare trigger and mount
IMG_1350.jpg (278.85 KiB) Viewed 7495 times