eDRUMin 1.6.2 BETA

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin 1.6.2 BETA

Post by Rob »

As is, when you load a device preset, you can select to only load the notes, so what you call "file management tasks" really amounts to couple of clicks in the UI.
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:06 pm
As is, when you load a device preset, you can select to only load the notes, so what you call "file management tasks" really amounts to couple of clicks in the UI.
How about both (or all) devices being able to save/load as one 'super' device?
How about ~20 copy/paste-able, label-able, 'note' snapshots rather than the current value of 4?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

hang12 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:44 pm
How about both (or all) devices being able to save/load as one 'super' device?
How about ~20 copy/paste-able, label-able, 'note' snapshots rather than the current value of 4?
Let's assume that the label is going to have up to 16 characters. Then four notes and channel setting is another 5 bytes. So we're at 21 bytes. Inputs are splittable, so 42 bytes per input. An then you want 20 banks, so that over 800 bytes per input. Times that by 10 inputs, and we're at 8000 bytes for an ED10. ED10 only has a total of 4096 bytes available to store settings. Can you see the problem with that?

If the settings are saved in the control application, and then sent to the ED10 as needed, then it's doable. There's probably an economical (in terms of bytes stored on the device) way to give you want you want, but I don't really have a good idea of your workflow.

Why don't you start by describing what you mean by the copy and paste functionality? How do you envision it working?

Version 1.6.2 is very solid, so I have no qualms spending several month making the next version.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've implemented drag and drop for note banks.
Ru

Post by Ru »

Thanks for recent improvements it's working really well for me.
I have a couple of possible minor bugs to report
1. Sometimes bell sense does not work reliably until I start the app and click on the ride input button. Also I'm using a Roland cy15 but the cy13 sense settings seem more accurate.
2. The strike indicators on the input buttons and articulations are not always accurate. For example when I strike the ride cymbal, my bass drum lights up unless I click the ride input. When I click the outside area of the my snare with positional sensing. The positional note plays but the articulation doesn't light up, instead it shows as a standard snare strike. It used to show separately and mixed in the green zone
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

image.png
image.png (139.71 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:58 pm

Why don't you start by describing what you mean by the copy and paste functionality? How do you envision it working?
I was wondering about the memory limitations, and so I guess I am literally asking to take things outside the box, relying on the control app and the computer. An iPad also has tons more memory these days.

I just pulled the ’20’ banks out of the air. Could be 10, could be 50, although now I have a better idea of memory constraints.

This workflow would be similar operationally for any given patch librarian application for synthesizers.

The workflow requirement would be simply to be able to copy (clone) a note bank inside the control app, and paste it to another note bank.
And then to open (focus on) that note bank for editing.
For labelling the note bank - 16 characters could be sufficient.

Then save/open an ‘all note banks’ to a file on the Mac/PC somewhere as a note bank ‘collection’ file - size determined by whatever you think is doable, relative to each eDRUMin device. It would be handy to have other types of data embedded such as date and any sort of text descriptions per note bank.

In the future, be able to open two ‘all note bank’ files, and copy/paste/swap any given single note bank between one file to the other file. Just like a patch librarian.

Then while playing, if I wanted to work on Logic drum maps, then SD3, then Native Instruments, then some other mapped SD3 file, etc., I can simply recall the note banks hopefully for all connected eDRUMin devices in one click.
Or via MIDI snapshot.

As I write this, I find a rub - can I consider all file operations to be per eDRUMin device, or as an 'aggregate' device save?

i.e. an additional and same sort of file management request is for an eDRUMin device ‘aggregate’ file save - which contains whatever the individual device presets are for -all- connected eDRUMin devices.
Hopefully the eDRUMin’s are reliably ID’able - i.e. they can be solidly distinguished from one another, so that they never swap ‘places’.
I haven’t experienced this sort of problem at all with the two eDRUMin’s, BUT I’ve had problems in the past with two ‘same’ models of any given MIDI interface , upon booting the computer any given interface becomes a 'new' interface or is 'ghosted' (unrecognized) - which wreaks havoc towards re-connection of any given set of MIDI devices. But that problem was when the multiple interfaces were separately connected via firewire or USB, not connected like the eDRUMin is now, in daisy chain fashion. So - I’ve ended up never hooking up two of the same exact models of any given interface to any one computer, due to this device ID issue.

Anyway - these 'aggregate' files are stored and retrievable from somewhere on Mac/PC/tablet (other than the desktop, hopefully).

I would like to purchase a 3rd eDRUMin in the near future - the eDRUMin 4 to replace my TMC-6, for simplicity sake and coherence. This sort of aggregate mentality for file management workflow would make for easier backup.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'll give you a better reply after I've thought about it some more, but I just wanted to make sure you realized that you can already load all the note banks from device snapshot. I'm pretty sure the MIDI Assignments include all the note banks.
image.png
image.png (64.34 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:19 pm
... that you can already load all the note banks from device snapshot.
Thanks. The main thrust of my discussion is for being able to quickly copy one note bank to another for editing. There are times when maps work mostly as is, but need to be tailored for say 'less cymbals that have three zones and need to be reassigned to play all three zones to one note (zone)'. and it is a case by case situation. Then there are times that a note map needs to be radically different, and it would be nice to be able to pick that out and load it up from a 'bank note' file, or have it on board already.
I don't see that method of sorting available yet. After quickly reviewing the latest manual, one still needs to create each input note assignment in each note bank by scratch.
There are times that merit just one or two changes in a note bank for testing or usability purposes, but with only 4 banks, any experimental 'buffer' bank becomes more critical in consideration of sacrificing it for another mapping purpose. Then it's like 'oh did I save bank 4 as the buffer bank?' It would be really nice to have some more elbow room in this regard.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I never intended Note Banks to really work that way. The idea of Note Banks was to be able to change note assignments for a pad in a hands-free manner without using the control application.

One of the issues with expanding the Note Banks functionality is that that banks are very rigid. If you move pads around, add new pads or a future device with a different number of inputs, then you Note Banks need a lot of maintenance.

I want to move instead to the concept of drum maps, where inputs are assigned a kit piece id, and they use that ID to pull their note assignments from a drum map.

Here's are the details in point form
-The device only has one drum map (economical), but the Control Application can store store as many maps as you wish.
-Switching maps should take no more than a couple of clicks.
-Maps define 20 kit pieces
-All note assignments for the kit piece are editable.
-Note assignments for a kit piece can be imported from a note bank (so you aren't stating from scratch)
-Maps can be duplicated, deleted, given names etc.
-Switching maps in the control application can switch maps for all connected devices.
-Kit pieces can be dragged and dropped so the note assignments from one piece can be quickly moved to another

Your thoughts?