New user - crosstalk and melodics

LogeshDrumin

New user - crosstalk and melodics

Post by LogeshDrumin »

Hi, I just received my edrumin 10 today after a long delay by custom.

Plugged it in, anddd... I got a few issues. Of course, I'm aware I need to tweak it to get everything to work as expected, but some help on the below would be appreciated.

1) crosstalk.. when I hit the cymbal, the tom gets triggered randomly. I tried setting the crosstalk, but doesn't seems to do anything. How should I start setting crosstalk between two or multiple pads?

2) Melodics.. once I set drum map as addictive drummer 2, it works fine with ad2. But once I switch over to melodics, i go into mapping, and use the kick pad, it registers it, but snare, tom etc doesn't seems to get registered. Complaints about sending wrong midi note.

As I'm slowly upgrading from a Yamaha dtx452k, my hi hat cymbal and second crash is still a single zone pcy95. If I set as two zone cymbal, it seems to work sporadically. What should I set it as for optimal usage.

From time to time, the pads gets an exclamation mark. Not sure what's wrong here.
Dadwrshpdrum

Re: New user - crosstalk and melodics

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

LogeshDrumin wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 am

1) crosstalk.. when I hit the cymbal, the tom gets triggered randomly. I tried setting the crosstalk, but doesn't seems to do anything. How should I start setting crosstalk between two or multiple pads?
Assuming you have all this pads connected to the eDRUMin.
My suggestion. Turn off auto select and dial in each pad’s trigger settings individual disregarding xtalk at the moment. The default xtalk is usually sufficient if pads are correctly set up. What you are looking for is just below your hardest hit you are getting 127 velocity and you lightest hits are 5ish. This includes the head/bow and rim/edge. Check your rimshot as well. Use the scalers to make sure the rim/edge has the right velocity. The velocity curve will help you get the playability/dynamics you want, but if your hardest hit on the rim is only registering a 90 velocity your scaler is off.

Once your pads are dialed in and you have got your max and min velocity set without double triggering then you work on xtalk. So still with autoselect off manually select the pad you want to eliminate the xtalk. In other words not the source of the xtalk but the victim. Do a hard velocity hit on surrounding pads (ie the source of xtalk). Look at the signal on the victim pad (ie the pad you are trying to eliminate xtalk on). If the signal is super weak and just slightly above the threshold you may want to start by increasing your threshold. If you increase your threshold check your softest hit on pad to make sure you didn’t lose your dynamics you just dialed in before. Be careful to not increase threshold too much or else you’ll start losing your soft ghost notes. Once you’ve checked your threshold now you can incrementally increase the xtalk meter on the victim pad until the xtalk is eliminated. If the xtalk must be ridiculously high then check your mechanical mounting and/or revisit your trigger settings (e.g gain, threshold, scan time, mask time and hold).

In summary I recommend you get each pad triggering well using the default xtalk settings ignoring any xtalk, and then tackle xtalk only after your pads trigger well.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
LogeshDrumin

Post by LogeshDrumin »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 pm
LogeshDrumin wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 am

Assuming you have all this pads connected to the eDRUMin.
My suggestion. Turn off auto select and dial in each pad’s trigger settings individual disregarding xtalk at the moment. The default xtalk is usually sufficient if pads are correctly set up. What you are looking for is just below your hardest hit you are getting 127 velocity and you lightest hits are 5ish. This includes the head/bow and rim/edge. Check your rimshot as well. Use the scalers to make sure the rim/edge has the right velocity. The velocity curve will help you get the playability/dynamics you want, but if your hardest hit on the rim is only registering a 90 velocity your scaler is off.

Once your pads are dialed in and you have got your max and min velocity set without double triggering then you work on xtalk. So still with autoselect off manually select the pad you want to eliminate the xtalk. In other words not the source of the xtalk but the victim. Do a hard velocity hit on surrounding pads (ie the source of xtalk). Look at the signal on the victim pad (ie the pad you are trying to eliminate xtalk on). If the signal is super weak and just slightly above the threshold you may want to start by increasing your threshold. If you increase your threshold check your softest hit on pad to make sure you didn’t lose your dynamics you just dialed in before. Be careful to not increase threshold too much or else you’ll start losing your soft ghost notes. Once you’ve checked your threshold now you can incrementally increase the xtalk meter on the victim pad until the xtalk is eliminated. If the xtalk must be ridiculously high then check your mechanical mounting and/or revisit your trigger settings (e.g gain, threshold, scan time, mask time and hold).

In summary I recommend you get each pad triggering well using the default xtalk settings ignoring any xtalk, and then tackle xtalk only after your pads trigger well.
That's very helpful, will work on it as recommended.

Any idea why I'm getting exclamation marks on those single zone cymbals?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Change the input to mono.
mono.png
mono.png (74.19 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
LogeshDrumin

Post by LogeshDrumin »

Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:41 pm
Change the input to mono.

mono.png
Thanks Rob.

One more question, on the drum map, if i select AD2, which cymbal correlates to ride cymbal?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure, to be honest. Cymbal 2 perhaps? If you tell me know, I'll update the tool tips for that map to indicate it properly.
LogeshDrumin

Post by LogeshDrumin »

Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 pm
I'm not sure, to be honest. Cymbal 2 perhaps? If you tell me know, I'll update the tool tips for that map to indicate it properly.
That was the weird part, I tried each cymbals available in the drum map, and tested which one light up the ride graphic... None. So I just custom mapped it in ad2.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks... I'll look into this today.