Is there a video or a more comprensive guide on crosstalk?

A collection of useful threads for troubleshooting issues.
CapCrunch

Is there a video or a more comprensive guide on crosstalk?

Post by CapCrunch »

Is there a video showing how to get rid of lots of crosstalk? I read the bit on page 16 of the manual but need some more basic explanation of how to go about it. If I see 3 pads lighting up then how do I get rid of the two that shouldn't be lighting up. Thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Is there a video or a more comprensive guide on crosstalk?

Post by Rob »

Turn up the crosstalk controls on the inputs that shouldn't be triggering. Make sure all three pads have scantimes are reasonably close each other (no more than 2 ms difference) and make sure the gains for the pads are properly set.
CapCrunch

Post by CapCrunch »

I'll try that approach. If I turn the crosstalk control up to maximum does make problems for the pad that's interfering? I've never understood the difference between crosstalk control and threshold. What is the auto select button doing? I only see it mentioned on page 16 saying I should turn it off to see crosstalk in the scrolling window. So the basic plan is to keep turning the crosstalk control up and the gain down on the interfering pads? Thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Here is a pic describing what crosstalk is.
crosstalk.png
crosstalk.png (53.84 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Without crosstalk cancellation, both pads would produce a note. To prevent pad 2 from triggering when you hit pad 1, we use crosstalk cancellation to momentarily filter out unwanted to triggers. Crosstalk cancellation on eDRUMin is measured in percentage. Let's imagine that pad 2 has its crosstalk set to 20%. This means that if you hit pad 1 and it produces a note with a velocity of 100, than any simultaneous notes from pad 2 with velocity of less than 20% of 100 will be ignored. Typically the default value will be good for 99% of situations. If you need to increase the control past a value of 50, I think you have some mechanical problems. Can you send a picture of the pads that are having problem for you so I can see how they are connected to each other? Also, are you using an ED4 or ED10?

Another point to make is that when the Control Application is open, the transfer of digital information between the eDRUMin and the Control Application can add extra noise into the system. If this the problem you are facing, you might want to increase the thresh controls slightly.
CapCrunch

Post by CapCrunch »

Thanks for the explanation of crosstalk cancellation. I have an ED10. I don't doubt I've got mechanical problems with this diy setup. With that said, they have managed to function adequately but with limited sensitivity. When I got the Edrumin I redid the pads with various foams to try to reduce crosstalk but because I could have more pads they are closer together. So I knew going in there could be crosstalk problems but because I could see the controls better on my PC I hoped to be able to use software adjustments to get around it. I've got the pads all built in now so can't send a useful picture but I'll work on that. I may have to go to work on the foam and go from 27mm to 20mm next.Now I have to learn about what scan times are. Cheers.
CapCrunch

Post by CapCrunch »

Actually did find some mechanical problems. I made a lot of changes and most were OK but I tried a different double sided tape that seemed real strong at the start but after a day started to have a few piezos loosen. Also one Piezo seemed completely dead. So learning better about the crosstalk settings and fixing these has me making progress. Thanks.