ATV Artist Drums

whoisjb

ATV Artist Drums

Post by whoisjb »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to eDRUMin. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give some background on how I ended up here.

I had been playing a Roland TD-20 since 2007. I never cared much for the Roland sounds and I thought the toms had too much machine gun effect. I heard about Superior Drummer 2.0 about a year later and got it all set up and loved it! I've upgraded since to SD3.0 and love it even more. But I always wondered if I really needed the TD-20 module if I'm not using the sounds? Big expensive device just for MIDI to SD3.0. I had someone respond to me on a Facebook group about a question saying I should try eDRUMin. After looking into it I decided to order the eDRUMin 10.

I was going to use it on my TD-20 but found a great deal on an expanded ATV Artist series kit with two 10" toms and two 13" floor toms. They seemed very similar to the Roland VAD506 which I considered buying originally just for the digital snare and ride. I just couldn't justify the price this time around. I got the ATV kit without a module planning on using the eDRUMin instead. It took a lot of work the past couple of days to figure out exactly how to get my drums to respond the way I want. Not sure I'm 100% there yet but pretty happy so far!

One question I have is if anyone else has created any presets or have tips on the ATV or VAD type drums where they have three sensors in a triangle shape near the edge of the drums? Also, if anyone knows if the 18" ATV kick drum is a center trigger or also side mounted like the toms? One thing I've tried with no success is getting the 18" ride cymbal to use bell sense with just one cable. It seems others have been able to so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Also, having some issues with the snare which has this externally mounted wood rim for sidestick. It seems to trigger the drum unless I keep my hits pretty light. Having a similar issue with a Roland BT-1 that is mounted to the snare. I have the Xtalk setting all the way up on it and linked it to the snare but it still tends to trigger the snare when I play it. Lastly, is there any way to use positional sensing on the snare or does that only work on center triggers?

I will record a video of me playing the kit and point out some of the issues if that helps troubleshoot.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: ATV Artist Drums

Post by Rob »

Update to version 1.5 to resolve your BT-1 issues. It has a built in BT-1 pad type that will take care of the crosstalk problems. Positional sensing is only available for center mounted triggers. For your kick it doesn't matter which pad type you use, just set the input to mono. For your snare, have you adjust the rimshot range control?

Regards,
Rob
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

Thanks for the prompt reply Rob! How do I see which version of eDRUMin controller that I'm using? I thought I installed the latest but not sure.

I have adjust the rimshot range and I've got working pretty well overall. I will get a video posted today to show what's happening.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Click on the eDRUMin logo to see which version you are using.
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

Says 1.5.0.19. Maybe I have it mounted too close to one of the side sensors?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Are you using the BT-1 pad type? Have you set it to XTalk mode? Have you linked the BT-1 to your snare in the control application?
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

Yes, yes, and yes. Here's the video which may help.
https://youtu.be/NGtaZmYMrv8
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Looks like you're making good progress. Thank-you for the very illustrative video.

1. For your snare, adjust the right side of your rimshot range and that will clear up the false rimshots.
2. Set the crosstalk for your BT-1 to the default 15. The crosstalk control will not prevent your snare from mistriggering.
3. For your ride in input 7, you should increase the HOLD time to about 4ms, and relax the hit decay ever so slightly. I can see that it's double triggering in your video (2:55). Relaxing the decay a tiny bit will resolve that issue.
4. For your hihat and the cymbal connected to input 5, I would reduce the hold time to at most 10ms, and relax the decay to prevent some of the double triggering I'm seeing.
5. Relax the decay for your kick a tiny bit to prevent very minor double triggering.

To diagnose the issue with the BT-1 / snare, I would need to know if the BT-1 or the snare sends a note first. It would also be helpful to turn off the auto-select and watch the snare input as you hit the BT-1.
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

Thanks so much Rob! I will make the suggested changes and record the BT-1 with auto select off while viewing the snare input when I get a chance tomorrow. I really appreciate the help and look forward to making the most of your awesome product.
whoisjb

Post by whoisjb »

Thanks again for all the help! I've made another video focused on the BT-1 and snare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tkbtTbwt4