eDRUMin 1.5 BETA now available

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin 1.5 BETA now available

Post by Rob »

There's nothing I can do. You'll notice that when you hit the edge (hard enough to engage the edge switch) the decay gets extended in the UI. I do this because when you hit the edge of a cymbal, it's going to resonate a lot more and extending the decay after an edge hit compensates for that. In your particular case, you're hitting close to the edge, without engaging the edge switch, so the cymbal is more resonant but the eDRUMin isn't compensating the decay. Make sense? You can either make the decay less aggressive and lose the ability to detect the shaft of the stick bouncing on the edge (what's the correct term for that), or just accept that there's a small sour patch and avoid that.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Stumbled across something. I had auto save off because I was experimenting with the VH10 decay. I power cycled to go back to a good baseline and I didn’t realize (or think about it), and I had the pedal depressed. When the eDRUMin powered back up the pedal was not smooth at all. I looked at the pedal screen and the pedal position is very “blocky” and not smooth, long hang ups at certain positions. It clears up with a power cycle and with my foot off the pedal. It does not matter if auto save on or off.

So I tried two more things. If I power off the unit with my foot on pedal but then I have my foot off the pedal when it powers up, no issues. Second, I had my foot off the pedal on power off, but when I started the unit up I had pressure on pedal. In this scenario the effects were much worse. Very bad pedal performance. So I power cycled the unit right way to clear it. It did clear. I thought I did a bad thing…. Anyways I shut it off again and gave a moment and restarted. No more issue. Whew.

I have auto sense off but auto polarity on. I never mess with those settings.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:No firmware update in this build--just UI performance optimizations.

https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 5.0.15.zip
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 5.0.15.zip
I've been noticing that since the last few updates, my laptop fan kicks in almost as soon as I start the control app. Didn't use to be like that.
Activity Monitor shows eDrumIn consistently running at 70-75% CPU.

System specs:
MacBook Pro 2015, macOS Big Sur (11.2.3)
2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Build 15 should have reduced CPU usage. I'll double check.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Couple of observations on the new 1.5 iOS version that was released today.

In general, it's super responsive and behaves more or less the same as the desktop version. It does seem a tad more laggy in terms of Auto-Select though.

One obvious thing that's missing however is the outgoing MIDI value display (in the curves panel). This is for all inputs.

I also noted that on both my PDX-100s (used as floortoms) connected to my ED-4 (which is connected to my ED-10), the Decay graph is a flat horizontal line that cannot be dragged or moved. Oddly, only for those two inputs (3 & 4). The Decay looks fine when viewed on desktop.

Just like I observed on the desktop, making small changes to sliders does not immediately get reflected in the numerical value display for those settings. This makes it not immediately obvious that the value has indeed been changed unless you select a different control and then move back. This makes editing needlessly tedious.
A9D95322-3347-45FB-973E-A5C5EB776B82.jpeg
A9D95322-3347-45FB-973E-A5C5EB776B82.jpeg (300.9 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Last edited by monospace on Sat May 29, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the feedback. The velocity indicator is removed for performance reasons. If it's updated, that whole velocity curve display gets redrawn as well resulting in a much lower frame rate. I'm not sure if this is a bug with the iOS implementation of VSTGUI, but the best way to fix it is to draw less.

I think I have a solution for the small value changes. I'll test next week and investigate those bugs as well.
monospace

Post by monospace »

That’s a bummer because those outgoing velocity values are really handy.

The iOS version is especially handy in my physical situation. I can run a long MIDI cable to the rack mounted laptop w/SD3 no problem, and use a short USB cable to connect to the Control App on my iPad.

The one thing I did like about the Splashtop remote control app that I’ve been using for the past couple of months was the ability to pinch and zoom in, and make really small adjustments that way. Especially useful on a phone or tablet where one’s fat fingers are the sole means of interacting with the screen. I’m assuming that this is not possible on iOS?

I noticed the grayed out lightning bolt in the left vertical panel. Does that serve a purpose?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I think pinch to zoom on iOS might be doable. I'm not entirely sure though. As for the velocity indicator, I can probably move it Maybe it can be incorporated into the input selectors as they are getting updated already so there would be no extra redrawing. Incidentally, this iOS redraw performance issue is the same reason why I'm not very interested in adding VU meters to the velocity curve area.
Superfish

Post by Superfish »

Hi Rob.

i have firmware 1.5.0.13 installed on both my eDRUMin10.
But when i try to install firmware 1.5.0.14 or 1.5.0.15 its still on 1.5.0.13.
and it dont show the exclamation mark to indicate there is a new firmware update. like it use to do.
is this normal?