eDRUMin 1.5 BETA now available

Rob
Site Admin

eDRUMin 1.5 BETA now available

Post by Rob »

I’m pleased to announce the BETA release of eDRUMin 1.5. This version brings a lot of changes, both to the UI and to the underlining eDRUMin engine. Save presets with version 1.4 before you update because downgrading from version 1.5 will factory reset your device.

https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 5.0.22.zip
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 5.0.22.zip

New Features
  • Completely redesigned Preset Manager
  • New Hihat Levels Mode to support applications and devices without CC4 Support
  • Proper support for Roland BT-1
  • Manual Save Control
Notable Improvements
  • New Decay profile for cymbals, rubber pads, and acoustic triggers
  • Yamaha 3-zone pads will now trigger the proper articulations (SS and RS were reversed)
overview.png
overview.png (134.93 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Save Control
In the past, saving was always done automatically. While this is still default, in version 1.5 you can disable the ‘Auto’ save and instead save manually. The top part of the control switches auto save on and off. This setting is global so turning it on and off affects every device connected to the control application. The bottom part of the control is device specific. If the currently selected device’s settings are ‘dirty’, the save icon will turn from grey to white and clicking it will save the settings on that particular device.

Redesigned Preset Manager
resonantDecay.png
resonantDecay.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
In version 1.5, the Preset Manager icon has moved to the side bar. It now allows you to load and save settings for drum pad inputs, pedal inputs, and complete device snapshots. There is now also a search function, and the list of presets can now be scrolled. More factory presets to come.

Hihat Mode: Levels
hihatLevels.png
hihatLevels.png (135.44 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
There is now a new hihat mode called ‘Levels’. With this mode, you define up to 8 levels of openness, with separate BOW, EDGE, and BELL notes associated with each level. The transitions between levels are all user adjustable. Currently the Drum Map does not affect these values.

Proper BT1 Support
BT1.png
BT1.png (99.13 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
In this version there is proper support for the BT-1 with its built-in crosstalk cancellation capabilities (when used on a stereo input). You can switch between ‘sensor’ and ‘xtalk’ mode. When in xtalk mode, the BT-1 can be associated with a snare pad, preventing false ‘sidestick’ triggering on the snare when the BT-1 is hit.

New Hit Decay Profile
For all pad types except for the BT1 and the two mesh pad types, I’ve implemented a new decay profile designed to perform better with pads that are going to shake a lot when they are hit (more resonant). The new profile will allow the hit decay line to tightly follow the natural decay of the pad while taking a bit longer to completely return to the level of the thresh setting. Because of these changes, you might need to adjust your existing decay settings after you update. Below is a pic of my VH-13 when hit on the edge.
presetManager.png
presetManager.png (136.02 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
monospace

Re: eDRUMin 1.5 BETA now available

Post by monospace »

That looks like a solid list of new features, can’t wait to try them out.
I’m very excited about the new presets manager, and finally being able to load and save device snapshots. Combined with optional auto-save this will allow for some serious experimentation while still being able to recall previous working sessions.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

For BT1 operation. Do the BT1 and connected pad (like a snare or Tom) do they need to be on the same eDRUMin unit?

Also, if I select “sensor” mode for BT-1 can I still set up another mono pad using the ring side of eDRUMin input using a stereo splitter?

All of this looks really good and I look forward to testing it out. I have some presets to save before I start using the new beta. ;)
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I LIKE IT!!!

I took a few minutes to upgrade and did an initial quick test. All my pads, pedals and switches maintained their settings just as they were before the upgrade.

Except...

I have two hi-hat controllers. The controller plugged into controller input 2 did not maintain my note and CC mappings. The CC was set to 62 instead of 8 and my foot and splash notes were wrong. It was easy enough to fix though.

I look forward to trying out the other features. Saving the pedals and device snapshots are big. Thanks for that. Experimentation will be a lot easier now.
Superfish

Post by Superfish »

wauee... Rob i must say you are really working 27/7 on this module.
Thanks for a great product. ;)
monospace

Post by monospace »

Minor in the scope of things, but as a UI professional in daily life, I really like seeing the pedals listed up top and the presets moved to the side.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Superfish

Post by Superfish »

okay just installed the update.

First impression:

The Hi-hat levels feature is awesome. The visual way to see how the pedal moves is just brilliant, and the way to control how open you want your hi-hat is just a game changer.

The longer decay feature is also just spot on, specially for me if you have bigger tom size than 10".
Bigger toms will indeed shake more, and with this new feature you will be able to control this.

Brilliant work Rob. ;)
monospace

Post by monospace »

Not sure if bug or if I'm doing it wrong. For my BT-1, I select "BT-1", "stereo", and "sensor" mode. I get two zones on the pad now (I suppose edge and center?) so I hear two distinct instrument sounds, but there's only one MIDI note that I can enter or change.
When I select "mono" (or "dual mono"), I get an X-stick scaler, but again, only one MIDI note.
monospace

Post by monospace »

First crash report. Happened when I tried adjusting one of the level controls on the new HiHat Levels screen.

(I'm still using a long USB repeater cable, so if this is related to that, let me know what to look for so I can only submit relevant crashes. This looked different though.)
edrumin_crashreport_051021.txt.zip
(21.75 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:For BT1 operation. Do the BT1 and connected pad (like a snare or Tom) do they need to be on the same eDRUMin unit?
Also, if I select “sensor” mode for BT-1 can I still set up another mono pad using the ring side of eDRUMin input using a stereo splitter?
Yes, they have to be connected to the same unit. Yes you could connect the BT-1 with a splitter, but you will loose the built in xTalk functionality.
Mylo wrote:I have two hi-hat controllers. The controller plugged into controller input 2 did not maintain my note and CC mappings. The CC was set to 62 instead of 8 and my foot and splash notes were wrong. It was easy enough to fix though.
Thank-you. I will investigate.
monospace wrote:Not sure if bug or if I'm doing it wrong. For my BT-1, I select "BT-1", "stereo", and "sensor" mode. I get two zones on the pad now (I suppose edge and center?) so I hear two distinct instrument sounds, but there's only one MIDI note that I can enter or change.
Yup, that would be a bug. Thanks.