Crosstalk cancelation over midi din cables?

mrmbira

Crosstalk cancelation over midi din cables?

Post by mrmbira »

I am trying to decide if the edrumin 10 will work for me. I read that there is crosstalk cancelation over the usb host port but does it also work over the midi in/out ports too? I have a couple older devices I want to connect with this. An Alesis dm7x and an old roland octapad. and all the pads will be on the same stand. Mostly home made rubber pads. thanks for your help
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Crosstalk cancelation over midi din cables?

Post by Rob »

Yes, crosstalk cancellation is also applied to MIDI coming into the eDRUMin from the MIDI in DIN. I'm not sure however if your 3rd party gear works the same way. For example, if you hit a pad connected to the ED10, I don't know if the octopad will use that MIDI data to prevent false triggering on any pads connected directly to it.

Regards
Rob
mrmbira

Post by mrmbira »

thanks Rob for the quick reply. So I see what you are saying. I was hoping the ED10 would take care of that too. Does it do crosstalk cancellation on both midi in and out when connected through the USB host?
I imagine that my devices won't do any external crosstalk cancellation given their age. The Octapad doesn't even have a way to adjust crosstalk. But with them not going through each other (separate midi connections to computer) the crosstalk isn't too bad.

What is your policy with firmware upgrades? Are they free for as long as I own the ED10? thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Let me try to explain things another way. Le'ts imagine you have 2 pads mounted to the same drum frame, with one pad connected to your DM7X and one connected to the ED10 and the DM7X is connected to the ED10 with MIDI cables .

From the perspective of the ED10, there is crosstalk cancellation for all devices connected to it, whether connected via the USB Host port or the MIDI DIN connections. So if you have the ED10 plugged into your computer to trigger Superior Drummer, you will not have any crosstalk issues when hitting either pad.

From the perspective of the DM7X, that might not be the case (I don't really know to be honest). It's very likely that hitting the pad connected to the ED10 will cause the pad connected to the DM7X to trigger.

Firmware updates are free. You buy the hardware and I make it a good as it can be.

Regards,
Rob
mrmbira

Post by mrmbira »

Ok I understand. Another question I have is are there controls to adjust the crosstalk cancellation over midi/usb host? I think I saw in the forum that there wasn't at one time but you were thinking of adding that? Has it been added yet? thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The amount of crosstalk cancellation for the USB Host port connection and DIN connections is fixed at the moment. I'm currently working on version 15, but after that is done, I'll consider that for version 1.6. I haven't had any complaints about the amount of crosstalk cancellation for these connections so it's not a high priority.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:The amount of crosstalk cancellation for the USB Host port connection and DIN connections is fixed at the moment. I'm currently working on version 15, but after that is done, I'll consider that for version 1.6. I haven't had any complaints about the amount of crosstalk cancellation for these connections so it's not a high priority.
I’ve not run across a major issue with too much crosstalk cancellation. I have a TD-17 with two cymbal pads (on the same rack, with some significant potential for crosstalk) connected via USB HOST port and an alesis strike multipad connected via MIDI In cable. I’ve never experienced missed notes across the three devices (eDRUMin 10, TD-17, and ASMP). I can crash on the TD-17 connected cymbals with a kick connected to the eDRUMin. I have mostly used one pad on the ASMP as a side snare (but also used as mini kit, VH10 and kick only on eDRUMin), and I can play a normal rock beat across the eDRUMin and ASMP.

I would compare the xtalk cancellation performance (MIDI in) of eDRUMin is comparable to Roland’s TD-17 performance. My only compromise (increasing threshold, and losing some soft dynamics) I’ve had to make with my setup due to cross talk is on the TD-17 connected cymbals, because the TD-17 module does not do cross talk cancellation with USB MIDI In.

I’ve got an ED4 on order and in the mail. Question, is the crosstalk between two eDRUMin units connected via the HSB host port set at the fixed value? Or, do the two eDRUMins control crosstalk setting across each other, just like if you had a mythical unicorn eDRUMin 14 (ie a single unit with all pads connected to it)?

For example, one goal of mine is to move the TD-17 connected cymbals pads from the Roland module to the new ED4 so I can gain back the lower dynamics I lost with the TD-17? When I adjust the cross talk on the ED4 will that cross talk setting only be applicable for the pads connected on the ED4, and the cross talk with the ED10 connected pads are at a fixed value?
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.