eDRUMin version 1.4 BETA now available

monospace

Re: eDRUMin version 1.4 BETA now available

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:Again, it's another obscure crash. I have had the control application running 2 days now running on my mac mini which out a crash. Are any other mac users seeing these crashes?

It might be worth looking into that USB cable? How long is it? With long cable lengths, there can be signal integrity issues (weather using a powered hub or not). As the cable length increases, more noise can enter the cable, and the edges of the data bits get less well defined. Active repeater cables are often used in long runs because they can maintain the signal integrity. I'm not saying that's the likely cause, but it's worth investigating, especially if it turns out that others aren't seeing these crashes.
Good point, and I've been wondering about that. Moving my laptop or my drum kit is not an option, and I'm using the long USB cable basically as a way to control the device while connecting to the laptop with Splashtop on an iPad.

The other option, which is less convenient, is to use the iOS control app on the iPad (using a 6ft USB cable+adapter), and run a long MIDI cable from the ED10 to the laptop. I will attempt some recabling this evening and see how that goes for a couple of days.

Just to clarify, I should still use the USB host port to connect the ED4 to the ED10, even when I use MIDI to connect the ED10 to the laptop. And obviously I will need a 9V power supply.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

@monospace - I was running through a hub connected to the computer with a 6ft cable. Then another 6' to the e10. I also had a 14' direct cable that I velcroed to the the end of the one coming from the hub so I could easily swap out for the upgrades. I now have the edrumin and laptop right next to my floor tom. I'm on a PC. I think you mentioned a 20ft USB cable - that's pretty long...although it had been working fine for many builds - correct?

I usually don't keep the control app running unless I'm going to make an adjustment
monospace

Post by monospace »

@dsteinschneider: I've been running a 20ft USB cable with a powered hub since August with no problems, except for last week when a firmware update bricked my device, and these recent random crashes. So for basic MIDI transfer, i.e. playing my drums into SD3, this setup works fine, but I think Rob is onto something when he suggests the Control App might be more finicky about the integrity of the signal.

Obviously, using my long MIDI cable instead will not prove or disprove this hypothesis, but I just measured and it looks like I can get away with a 16ft cable. So I ordered one of those from Amazon to swap it out and see if cable length/cable quality is a factor. Like I said, moving either my laptop or my drum kit (and using an even shorter cable) is not an option, so hopefully this will yield some more clues.

And yeah, I don't really need to have the Control App open all the time either. But it would be nice to figure out why I'm seeing these crashes and others apparently are not.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Rob wrote:Are any other mac users seeing these crashes
I wish I could play enough to be a good data point for you. I have not seen a crash in the background. I’m on Catalina.
I left the app running over night. From about 2100 to 0800 the next morning. I tapped some pads a bit at the start of the experiment, left the app running, laptop plugged in and turned down the screen. When I checked on this morning the app was still chugging along. I tapped on the pads again and the app worked just fine. So then I ended the experiment because my family needed the laptop for the day.

I am running the latest 1.4 beta firmware update.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Changes in build 29
  • Right-Clicking a note control will toggle notes/numbers for all note controls and setting is saved between sessions.
  • Adjusting the curve for an articulation will automatically set it to 'independent'.
  • Improved behavior of tool tips for knobs and faders.
  • Adjusted default settings for hihats.
PC
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 4.0.29.zip

macOS
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin_Cont ... 4.0.29.zip
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Rob wrote: Right-Clicking a note control will toggle notes/numbers for all note controls and setting is saved between sessions.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This little change is huge for touchscreen users like myself.
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Thanks again, Rob!
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Rob wrote:Are any other mac users seeing these crashes
I wish I could play enough to be a good data point for you. I have not seen a crash in the background. I’m on Catalina.
I left the app running over night. From about 2100 to 0800 the next morning. I tapped some pads a bit at the start of the experiment, left the app running, laptop plugged in and turned down the screen. When I checked on this morning the app was still chugging along. I tapped on the pads again and the app worked just fine. So then I ended the experiment because my family needed the laptop for the day.

I am running the latest 1.4 beta firmware update.
2nd night of letting the app run. No crashes. I updated to latest firmware this morning. Another round of excellent improvements. Thanks!
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote: 2nd night of letting the app run. No crashes. I updated to latest firmware this morning. Another round of excellent improvements. Thanks!
Thank-you.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:Changes in build 29
  • Right-Clicking a note control will toggle notes/numbers for all note controls and setting is saved between sessions
First, this is major improvement and is very helpful. However, I don’t know what “saved between sessions” means. I changed from notes to number, and I went from every pad, pedal and note bank. Numbers remained the default everywhere, very nice. I assumed a session was closing the app and reopening. This did not work. Defaulted back to notes. However, I don’t think that is an issue for my own use case using a laptop.