New type of triggers for A2E conversions

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
tompasserin

Re: New type of triggers for A2E conversions

Post by tompasserin »

AKA Wayne wrote:Pretty innovative design here. Wondering how well positional sensing and hot spot suppression works. In my experience a more rigid design makes for better ps and HSS with the edrumin. I’ve used the quartz trigger which has a similar non rigid design and I’ve found my diy cake pans to trigger better with the edrumin.
I know this is meant for more than just the edrumin though so maybe that is not as much of a concern.
I just discovered the quartz trigger system. It seems to be held with straps, is that correct?
If so, while this seems like a pretty smart idea at first glance, it is actually the opposite of mine, and, to me, the opposite of what should be done.

My mounts get thicker the bigger the radius is (at least the "active" part of them, which is the lower part of the oval shape, which acts like a spring). This is made to provide higher stiffness the bigger the mounts are. The aim is to bring the same amount of load pressing the sensor against the head no matter what the drum size is. The quartz is just the opposite. The longer the straps, the lesser pressure against the head. I believe this is what makes them hard to set. If there's not enough pressure against the head, the piezo won't sense as it should, and could eventually get totally separated from the head when hitting hard, preventing it to sense the next shot. The engineer side of me wouldn't recommend that design.
tompasserin

Post by tompasserin »

Hey !

I received my eDrumIn 10 a few days ago. Thanks guys @ Audiofront for the fast shipping (one week from TW to FR, without additional fees, that's great !)

Well, as expected, this works flawlessly with my OVAL triggers. It took about one hour to setup the whole drumkit and achieve results as good as with my previous TD-9. Now I'm fine tuning them and they keep on getting better. Sadly the 10 inputs are already full :lol: I will try splitting some inputs to at least reproduce the drumkit I had with the TD-9. Roland cymbals with two wires don't help.

I can officially say that OVAL HT-01 triggers are compatible with eDrumIn, and obviously any future design will be compatible as well as the eDrumIn will be my primary tool for future development. If anyone of you plans to order some anytime soon, I will be able to supply eDrumIn presets.

I take this opportunity to announce that my triggers will soon be reviewed by digitalDrummer magazine, and 65 Drums on YouTube. Worldwide shipping will obviously come along in a few days (I'm testing the shipping provider I found by sending the two samples for review, to Australia and the USA respectively).

Thank you all for your support !
lalo

Post by lalo »

Bonjour tompasserin, how are you getting along with the testing? I'm interested in how well the positional sensing, hotspot suppression and rimshot triggering are, any update? merci.
ed
tompasserin

Post by tompasserin »

lalo wrote:Bonjour tompasserin, how are you getting along with the testing? I'm interested in how well the positional sensing, hotspot suppression and rimshot triggering are, any update? merci.
ed
Hi Ed!
Well, testing is done. I've been using the complete system with my eDrumIn since I received. Everything was basically setup within one hour. I obviously kept on refining the settings over a few days but I can now supply eDrumIn presets for any of my triggers.
Positional Sensing seems to work well based on the gauge the eDrumIn software shows. Sadly I don't have any available VST that handles it sound-wise, but the gauge behaves as intended.
Hotspot suppression is fine as well. Hotspotting was already pretty low because of the trigger design, thanks to its flexibility and foam used. But with the additional help of the eDrumIn suppression feature, I no longer get any noticeable hotspotting at all. Rimshot triggering works fine as well, with all the intended eDrumIn features showing what they should. I get well isolated head shots, rim shots and cross-sticks with no cross-triggering or missed shots. It's really enjoyable to play.

I'm now able to ship worldwide. Don't hesitate to let me know in case you'd like to give a try as I'm now able to give eDrumIn presets to start with.
lalo

Post by lalo »

Great, I‘m interested in a dual trigger for a 14“ snare, shipping to Germany
tompasserin

Post by tompasserin »

lalo wrote:Great, I‘m interested in a dual trigger for a 14“ snare, shipping to Germany
Thank you! Could you kindly send me a message over Facebook, on the Oval Drums Engineering page so that we can arrange that?
tompasserin

Post by tompasserin »

Hi everyone !

For those of you who were interested in my trigger design, digitalDrummer magazine just published an honest review of the unit I sent them a few months ago. As stated there, design has already slightly changed to include some improvements. But the performance review is there, with details on many modules the trigger was tested with, including the eDRUMin.

The magazine is free to read here, and review is at page 44 : https://fr.calameo.com/read/004305310e27a84e855ca

For those of you who would like to give this design a try, worldwide shipping at rather low rates is now available on my website. And I'm here to answer any question you may have, obviously ;)