Which trigger system for DIY center mounted snare trigger (positional sensing)

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
mprinz

Which trigger system for DIY center mounted snare trigger (positional sensing)

Post by mprinz »

Hi eDrum-Freaks,

I want to build a DIY center mounted trigger snare pad, because I WANT that positional sensing. :D

I am thinking of what shell material I should get and which trigger design I should use:

I would buy a cheap acoustic snare.
A wood or metal snare? Will there be a difference at the noise level when playing?

2ply play head and 1ply resonance head.

If I got that right, the most important part is the decoupler, that decouples the head- front the rim-trigger.
And of course a good triggercone.

But - should I mount the system just on a wooden bar, aluminum profile or
should I use the aluminum plate design, or the 6/8 "super" regid radial metal struts/spokes design.

I think it's not a matter of stiffness (a mounted 5x5 wooden bar will be even more rigid than these few spokes or a aluminum plate. Won't it?)
but a matter of how much and from where the vibrations on the rim are traveling to the rim trigger.
It's just a guess: I think the spokes/metal plate design, having a mechanical connection to actually all parts of the shell
will trigger the rim hits better and all around the rim. The single bar design will have hot spots on the parts of the rim where it's mounted ...
Any accurate experiences?

Ah, Rob, do you use, for the positional sensing head and rim trigger signals?

Another way to pick up signals from all around the shell is to stick some piezos directly onto the inner shell.

That are the designs I found so far.

Thank you for some suggenstions, having in mind the pos. sens.

Manuel
MWJT42

Re: Which trigger system for DIY center mounted snare trigger (positional sensing)

Post by MWJT42 »

I think you’re over thinking this.

Wood, metal, spoke all will be absolutely fine. eDRUMin is incredibly tolerant of whatever is thrown at it.

The positional sensing amazingly only requires the centre mounted piezo (using some sort of magic...), but the rim shot / side stick articulations need the shell trigger.

Also, why bother with a reso head, it just adds more noise. I’ve gone for triple ply top, Jobeky AI bar on a 14x5 wooden snare, and a regular reso head, cut close to the shell for aesthetics only.

Only thing letting my build down is the rubber rim (drum tec) keeps splitting where I rim shot. The 3.5mm jack that Jobeky use (so it fits through the vent and can screwed from the inside) wiggles loose, but nothing a little glue won’t solve.
mprinz

Re: Which trigger system for DIY center mounted snare trigger (positional sensing)

Post by mprinz »

Ok, maybe I got "infected" by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDkPe0o8iRg&t=580s

For me it is important that the construction is a good as physically nesseccary.
If a 450$ system makes no sense, from the trigger-result point of view, than I may switch to
a 70$ system.

After my todays investigations and summing up all needed components,
I think I will just get a Jobeky snare, and I am ready to rock!
I haven't got a snare yet, I need the mesh heads, the trigger:
I thought to buy a used snare, but ... no. I won't.

Low Price Snare: 90€
Trigger: 4 Spoke Jobeky 80€
MeshHeads, RimNoiseEleminator: 60€

Here is all in, brand new - like this:

https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/prest ... onic-drum/

What do you think?
What trigger do they put into the shells? the 4 spokes. That woud be important to know.

First I quitted the DIY trigger. We are in a lockdown and so the hardware stores are closed.
I mean, I won't have the experience mounting a trigger system into an acoustic snare, but I know I am able to do that.
But I have to order the decoupler, the cones, the piezos, the jacks... pfff...
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Again, you're massively over thinking this!

Jobeky use the same trigger system throughout their range it seems. A 27mm piezo, glued to something sturdy, with 2 cylinders of foam glue on top.

[quote=mprinz]
I won't have the experience mounting a trigger system into an acoustic snare, but I know I am able to do that.
But I have to order the decoupler, the cones, the piezos, the jacks...
[/quote]

Or just buy the Jobeky AI trigger bar...

First question to see which route to go, (full DIY, or inserting a bought trigger) - can you solder well?

You're smacking this with a stick for fun, so the solder joints need to hold up.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Overthinking?
Maybe ... I ordered a Jobeky snare.

The thing is, I have no experience with such trigger systems.
So, would a way more rigid system really perform better than a stinky wooden bar with decent
cones and decouplers...
Or would it perform the same even with cheap cones...

What are good cones ... and so on... you know what I mean?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hey guys. I ordered an edrum4 and I'm building an A to E snare. Does it matter where the inside shell piezo is mounted? Rimshot area? Crossstick area? Both? Thanks for any help.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Josh wrote:Hey guys. I ordered an edrum4 and I'm building an A to E snare. Does it matter where the inside shell piezo is mounted? Rimshot area? Crossstick area? Both? Thanks for any help.
I put mine where I rim shot, and I can get both RS and SS dialled in fine. I don't think placement matters too much.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Thanks so much! I will place it the same as you near rimshot then. Can't wait to get this! Thanks.