Which headphones/Audio Interface do you use?

monospace

Re: Which headphones/Audio Interface do you use?

Post by monospace »

ledoov wrote:
dsteinschneider wrote:Headphones: Sennheiser HD280
IEM: KZ ZS10 Pro

The HD280s sound good with my Behringer UMC204HD

The KZs sound even better. There's something about they way they sound for edrums, just right.
I tried the HD280 Pro seinheizer out of my MacBook Pro and I didn’t feel they had any kick even at high volume. Should I get a focusrite or other to power them?
If you don't need any audio INPUT, just get a simple headphone amp like this and be done with it.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

ledoov wrote:
dsteinschneider wrote:Headphones: Sennheiser HD280
IEM: KZ ZS10 Pro

The HD280s sound good with my Behringer UMC204HD

The KZs sound even better. There's something about they way they sound for edrums, just right.
I tried the HD280 Pro seinheizer out of my MacBook Pro and I didn’t feel they had any kick even at high volume. Should I get a focusrite or other to power them?
Also, consider a Throne Thumper (Butt Kicker) or P&D on your stool. Makes a world of difference.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

@mwjt42

Here's a post on my "drum throne tactile feedback" :D setup
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/pr ... ost1240110

It really helps, I think I play the kick drum pedal more accurately now because I'm not pounding it to hear it. I definitely play the pedal with more nuance.
Last edited by dsteinschneider on Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsteinschneider

ledoov wrote:
The HD280's will sound better with a headphone amp such as monospace recommends but if you want out of this world comfort and sound try the KZ KS10 Pro with the New Bee foam ear tips.
monospace

Post by monospace »

I agree that the KZ-KS10s are really nice for the money, but I would highly recommend also getting a good pair of around-ear headphones. There's definitely a difference between in-ears and around-ears when it comes to the soundscape, not to mention that in-ears can be a bit fiddly. I pretty much always play with my around-ears (Sennheiser 380HD) because it just sounds both fuller, and roomier.

Bass-shakers are also very nice to have. I've been using a Buttkicker Gamer for almost a decade, and I can't imagine playing without it. The key is to dial it in as subtle as possible. Just the kind of "thump" you would get when playing a kick drum on a wooden floor. More than that, and it gets annoying, in my opinion.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
dsteinschneider

Agree with @monospace that the lowest setting you still feel is most natural, like you would actually feel playing an actual bass drum. I have the little Fosi m.2 amp mounted right next the the eDRUMin so I can dial it for different kits. The headphone amp is there also to quickly adjust headphone volume.
Seinsohn

Post by Seinsohn »

I have tried sooooo many different headphone options and I have found that nothing under $500 compares in the slightest to CCA 12s. They handle highs in the crispest clarity I’ve heard and the lows are full and punchy. Earlier today I was covering misery business by paramore triggering ad2 (with my own punchy mix of a preset) and I was amazed how great it sounded!
lalo

Post by lalo »

ok, you're gonna kill me but I bought the airpods max and I can say that's the best noise cancelling headphone I have tried and perfect to block the plop of the hihat and the clops of hiting rubber, even with noise cancelling off the block outside noise better than the beyer dynamic dt-1770 pro closed I had before. I'm using them with the lightning to analog cable and an extension cord. They sound balanced and not boomy at all even with noise cancelling on. If you have the money, try them and inmmerse yourself in SD3 sounds instead of plock plock plock...
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

monospace wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:44 am
I agree that the KZ-KS10s are really nice for the money, but I would highly recommend also getting a good pair of around-ear headphones. There's definitely a difference between in-ears and around-ears when it comes to the soundscape, not to mention that in-ears can be a bit fiddly. I pretty much always play with my around-ears (Sennheiser 380HD) because it just sounds both fuller, and roomier.

Bass-shakers are also very nice to have. I've been using a Buttkicker Gamer for almost a decade, and I can't imagine playing without it. The key is to dial it in as subtle as possible. Just the kind of "thump" you would get when playing a kick drum on a wooden floor. More than that, and it gets annoying, in my opinion.
I am testing the KZ ZSN Pro right now.... Woooow! 20€/24$ ... I like them very much. I decided to check it them out to have a bit more isolation from the pad noise and to prevent the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro from water damage because of my sweat. :lol: :roll: :?
I think it I will use the KZs for the harder stuff and the DT 770 Pro for the softer sessions.

With respect to Bass shakers: yup, I just screwed a 50$ piece under my wooden drum chair and hooked it up to an old subwoofer amp.
Really awesome.

@monospace: What is the Xover frequency for your bass-shaker (6/12/24 db)? Do you use an analog crossover or to you use the sampler/DAW/VST host to set this up.

Greetings

Manuel
monospace

Post by monospace »

mprinz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm
@monospace: What is the Xover frequency for your bass-shaker (6/12/24 db)? Do you use an analog crossover or to you use the sampler/DAW/VST host to set this up.
I have no idea of the exact frequencies, but the Buttkicker Gamer I own is spec'ed to handle between 5 and 200 Hz. I'm using this small subwoofer amp from Amazon (50 bucks), and as you can see below I have the crossover set at 12 o'clock. According to the specs on the Amazon page, the The Bass Cut Off Frequency Range of this amp is 40-300Hz; so I'm guessing it's currently set at roughly 170Hz. This gives me all of the kick and all of the floortom frequencies, depending on my SD3 mixer settings and the specific drumkit that's selected. The rightmost knob on the amp controls the volume of the signal going into the Buttkicker, and the subwoofer amp itself is fed a full signal from the headphone amp to the right of it, also at roughly 12 o'clock.

The entire setup gives me plenty of tactile feedback, and I have the headroom to dial it up or down as desired.

IMG_4584.JPG
IMG_4584.JPG (241.2 KiB) Viewed 1801 times