Unofficially supported devices

monospace

Re: Unofficially supported devices

Post by monospace »

Just as a datapoint: I have two PD-80Rs as rack toms. They both work great with identical settings. My two floor toms, both PDx-100s, require different settings each. It would stand to reason that identical pads would work with identical settings, but that's not always the case. It could be that the cones have worn out differently, or that the piezos simply aren't a match (this happens a lot). I would recommend going by ear and by feel.

And yes, angles matter too. Rimshots are easier/harder to trigger depending on what angle you hit them with, so the angle of the pad is definitely a factor as well. Same with edge hits on cymbals.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Picked up one of these for bank switching. It is working great.
79FD07B6-749A-42EA-809E-798E2AB90448.jpeg
79FD07B6-749A-42EA-809E-798E2AB90448.jpeg (737.75 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Rotil66 wrote: Roland CY13/15 Dual and single cable (bell sensing) works well.
(stacking with velocity ranging in SD3 to have Bell and bow shrank sounds)
Yamaha 135/155 single cable (bell sensing) Works great.
(stacking with velocity ranging in SD3 to have Bell and bow shrank sounds
Are using assigning the bell tip and shank articulations to the same MIDI note in SD3 and then using velocity gates on each articulation to determine what is played?

This is a cool idea. I’m going to try it. I was thinking about using bank switching to bring the shank articulations back in but this might work better.
Rotil66

Post by Rotil66 »

Mylo wrote:
Rotil66 wrote: Roland CY13/15 Dual and single cable (bell sensing) works well.
(stacking with velocity ranging in SD3 to have Bell and bow shrank sounds)
Yamaha 135/155 single cable (bell sensing) Works great.
(stacking with velocity ranging in SD3 to have Bell and bow shrank sounds
Are using assigning the bell tip and shank articulations to the same MIDI note in SD3 and then using velocity gates on each articulation to determine what is played?

This is a cool idea. I’m going to try it. I was thinking about using bank switching to bring the shank articulations back in but this might work better.
Hi Milo,
Yes I did excacly this... Having the Bell tip and Bell shrank sound stacked to the same midinote in SD3. With the velocity gate you can determine when you switch the sounds.... Works great... If you take some time to adjust the Gate level it feels pretty natural.
I did the same for the Bow tip/shrack sound.
On my Cy15 Ride it gives a lot of extra dynamic playing.
But Note: Doing this on your crashes will ask for some playing accuracy. Since being ably to play all these articulations will force you to pay attention how you hit the cymbal off course....
It works very well. But when things get a bit 'hectic' in rare occasions I miss the crash sound because I hit the cymbal not correctly on the edge. But that's my bad, I have to practise a bit more to play acurate.....
Also I added the bellsense option to my VH-12. Giving me the whole bell atriculations as extra.. also working very good...
But take some time to adjust well !!!
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Rotil66 wrote: Hi Milo,
Yes I did excacly this... Having the Bell tip and Bell shrank sound stacked to the same midinote in SD3. With the velocity gate you can determine when you switch the sounds.... Works great... If you take some time to adjust the Gate level it feels pretty natural.
I did the same for the Bow tip/shrack sound.
On my Cy15 Ride it gives a lot of extra dynamic playing.
But Note: Doing this on your crashes will ask for some playing accuracy. Since being ably to play all these articulations will force you to pay attention how you hit the cymbal off course....
It works very well. But when things get a bit 'hectic' in rare occasions I miss the crash sound because I hit the cymbal not correctly on the edge. But that's my bad, I have to practise a bit more to play acurate.....
Also I added the bellsense option to my VH-12. Giving me the whole bell atriculations as extra.. also working very good...
But take some time to adjust well !!!
Took a minute to figure out how to properly stack the cymbal in SD3 but I got it. The individual velocity curves in eDRUMin really makes this work well.

As a side note, this little adventure also revealed how badly I was inadvertently accenting my ride with my right hand when my left hand hit the snare. I need to work on that. :D

All my cymbals are ATV... I have three zones working on all them, including hi-hats, using bell sense. Again, eDRUMin makes it all happen.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

I recently connected an Alesis RealHat Pedal. Auto sensed correctly called it a HH pedal. Looked like it worked a okay as a HH pedal, but since I have a VH10 already I changed it to a switch type pedal. I use it to switch notes banks, and it works just fine.

I have an alesis strike multipad that has a HH input, but it is not very good (only open or closed best I can tell, and doesn’t send CC4 MIDI). I was using the pedal with that input. For now on I will use the eDRUMin, and in situations I need a mini kit I will leave my VH10 at home and use the eDRUMin 10 with a KD-10 and RealHat Pedal. MIDI out from multipad to MIDI In of eDRUMin 10. Then USB HOST midi to a slave TD-17 module. End result is a TD-17 mini kit. Thank you eDRUMin.

As an aside with my multipad MIDI out to eDRUMin 10. I found that if I set the correct MIDI notes for the multipad’s pad I can use the VH10 controller and a multipad pad as the cymbal. I also set a pad to be always closed HH for when I use my double pedal. Plus a pad for rimshot. I tried to use the looper function to creat MIDI loops as well, but that didn’t work the first time I tried. I need to look at my multipad settings to see if I fouled up the looper.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

@mwjt42 - I'm on a recording forum recommending the eDRUMin and the Goedrums GHC hi-hat controller looks like a good recommendation for someone who doesn't want to solder up a Hall effect sensor. I'm curious, what pedal type do you choose or does the eDRUMin "Sense" for the GHC? I'm thinking it would be type "Expression"
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

dsteinschneider wrote:@mwjt42 - I'm on a recording forum recommending the eDRUMin and the Goedrums GHC hi-hat controller looks like a good recommendation for someone who doesn't want to solder up a Hall effect sensor. I'm curious, what pedal type do you choose or does the eDRUMin "Sense" for the GHC? I'm thinking it would be type "Expression"
I just rigged up a Goedrum GHC today. It worked great, swapped out for a VH10, with with a simple calibration, and I couldn't tell a difference in performance between the VH10 and the Goedrum. What's great about the Goedrum is you can use any cymbal pad with it, unlike the Roland VH-10 or VH-11, which must be used with the Roland counterpart (or require you do DIY a special part). I tried the Goedrum with the ROland VH10 cymbal and a Yamaha. All good. It's an excellent low cost solution, particularly because the eDRUMin, once again, shines at getting the settings and curves dialed in to your liking.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

@MisterE

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm thinking of getting one just to check it out.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Not sure how many are still floating around, but my Roland FD-7 works, also Triggera Intrigg triggers as dual zone/head/rim