Quest for the ultimate Hi-hat "feel"

monospace

Re: Quest for the ultimate Hi-hat "feel"

Post by monospace »

Gemini8026 wrote: E-drums are good, but the Hi hat is the most complex of all drum equiptment and they havent figured out a way to translate perfectly. Some will say that getting 75% of the way there is good enough, but perfectionists and true musicians always want the best instrument they can get.
Completely agree. But that’s also why I ditched my Roland module within a week after getting my eDRUMin. I don’t think there’s anything better, in combination with Superior Drummer 3, on the market right now.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
trommeldoll

Post by trommeldoll »

So, has anyone experience with the bell on the VH-10? Is the Bell Sense feature working well here? This thread about supported devices did not offer any insight viewtopic.php?f=29&t=611
monospace

Post by monospace »

I tried enabling the bell on my VH-10 and can confirm it works. However, because the VH-10 doesn't have much of a physical "bell area", I found that triggering it reliably was more trouble than it was worth, for me anyway. I've since disabled it again because I also don't have much use for it in my playing style.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
punkouter2021

Post by punkouter2021 »

I am interested in the new VH10 and maybe it has more level of hihat closing than the yamaha.. but then again I could spend all that money and maybe its not any better or maybe worse
monospace

Post by monospace »

I have no experience with Yamaha hihats, but I will say that the Roland VH-10 in combination with eDRUMin is a joy to play. If it's within your budget, I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

I’m a new eDRUMin 10 owner and user. I’ve had a TD-17 for about a year. In that year I’ve watched YouTube and read forums, but I’m still very much a beginner. My point with the background story. I set up the eDRUMin with a VH10 (and my other TD-17 pads). I watched the tutorial video for setting up a HH. After just a couple tries I think I got it just as good as my TD-17. Maybe better but I’m not a good judge for that. I think I need to fine tune the splash triggering, but that is minor.

I like the control I have for tweaking the VH10 to my playing style. If I was a lot more serious player I could see getting a lot more out of the eDRUMin and the VH10. For right now it’s all I need and then some plus it was easy to set up.

Question for the forum. How does the VH10 and eDRUMin compare to a VH13 paired with a TD-50? From watching videos I know the TD-50 and VH-13 allow the “extra” closed sound when you press just a bit harder. It seems like that is what the VH10 does as well the way the tutorial advises you to set it up. I was wondering what the experts think.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote: Question for the forum. How does the VH10 and eDRUMin compare to a VH13 paired with a TD-50? From watching videos I know the TD-50 and VH-13 allow the “extra” closed sound when you press just a bit harder. It seems like that is what the VH10 does as well the way the tutorial advises you to set it up. I was wondering what the experts think.
If you're talking about the "Tight" articulation, in my experience that's something best set up inside of SD3. The hihat on eDRUMin just goes from 0 to 127, so it hits "Tight" no matter what. But you can adjust the sliders in the SD3 Midi/Edrum settings so that you only get "Tight" at 127, and "Closed" right before that.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Yes that was what I was talking about. I guess I never felt like the “calibration” in the TD—17 gave me the control or sense of control to know 122 pedal position vs 127. I don’t have SD3 so I wouldn’t know if VH10/TD-17 and SD3 could be set up for tight. It is nice that the eDRUMin let’s you look under the hood and see what is going on vs TD-17 which has the simple, but little information, calibration set up screen.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rotil66

Post by Rotil66 »

Just created the most realistic e-Hihat I have ever played.
I always played my VH-12 thru a TD-12 to Superior drummer 3. But a few day's ago I received my eDrumin10 trigger convertor..... wow what a great device. Ran the pad of the VH-12 thru the ED10 that is capable of creating a bell trigger with this bell-sense option. (VH-12 has NO bell trigger !!!!) I set it as Dual trigger cymbal and took the CY-8 as bell sense option.
Now I can play all the bell, bow, edge, splash and shoke articulation of SD3. (about 25 or so). Tight, close to open....
I only had to run the Hihat Control thru the TD-12. (midi thu in the ED10) because the VH-12 happens to be one of the few devices having an issue with the ED10. But this workaround is splended.
Other hihat should be able to be controlled directly by the ED10.

Unbelievable great hihat......
Gemini8026

Post by Gemini8026 »

I got my VH-10 the other day.

Got it all set up and configured. No matter how tight my spring is, I still "feel" the plunger go down on my foot after a heavy hit and I dont like that. I cant see how it moves in the app and I know Rob has that fix in place, but I want perfect control of my hi hat open/close positions. It doesnt feel perfect so I am going to go back to a unique solution where I use a fixed pad with my hi hat stand and the Goedrum controller. Im going to create some resistance using foam/springs/whatever to create some "feel" without the side issue of having to worry about mis triggers and such from too much force. Either way, the current implementation works great with the VH-10 , but I am OCD and the other big factor is I would prefer my hat stand in a different location since I have a double pedal setup and it isnt easy to get it set up perfectly.

Either way. I love having options and experimenting. Hi hats are a unique game and generally it all comes down to personal preference! Its just getting expensive to keep buying and selling stuff. I have an FD-9, a VH-10, and a Goedrum controller now on the way. Mix that in with 2 KT-10 pedals I tried out and Im spending more then I would like. In the end I dont want to tinker, I just want to play and Edrumin is really helping me on this quest.

I gave up years ago when I couldnt configure the lower end rolands hi hat solutions at all.