Do you use all 3 zones of a crash cymbal or just one ? Mute Cymbal?

punkouter2021

Do you use all 3 zones of a crash cymbal or just one ? Mute Cymbal?

Post by punkouter2021 »

Looking at AD2 and SD3 it seems AD2 only has ONE crash cymbal sounds right?

And SD3 has about 6..

Do it really make a difference ? Who plays the bell of a crash cymbal ? And on the trigger why

Also, mute cymbal stopped working but somehow when I first hooked it up it worked. Is there a setting in edrumin ?

for my yamaha 3 zone 13 inch the bow edge bell seem all kinda random so maybe its better off to just make it all one cymbal sound anyways
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Do you use all 3 zones of a crash cymbal or just one ? Mute Cymbal?

Post by Rob »

Sounds like your pad has perhaps seen better days? Maybe your cable has a loose connection? There are no special choke settings, other than the ability to use a MIDI note in addition to aftertouch messages for choking.

I personally like to have as many different sounds at my disposal as possible, but I think it depends a lot of your style and the pads you're using.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

punkouter2021 wrote:Looking at AD2 and SD3 it seems AD2 only has ONE crash cymbal sounds right?

And SD3 has about 6..

Do it really make a difference ? Who plays the bell of a crash cymbal ?
For me this is personal preference. Of all the rock songs I’ve ever played I don’t think I’ve ever heard a crash bell. Ride bell yes... crash bell no. Not that I’ve noticed anyway. So do you need bells on the crash... probably not if most of your drumming is just doing covers.

But... if you are more of a percussionist and you want to get all the musicality out your drums that you can (think Neil Pearl R40 solo) you don’t want to be limited in any way, shape or form. Having bells on all your cymbals, even your hi-hats, gives you more options to be creative. All my cymbals are three zone ATV and with SD3 every one of them is setup for bell/bow/edge and choke. I just like it that way.
punkouter2021

Post by punkouter2021 »

its a brand new

Yamaha PCY135 13"

So I need to have these turned a certain way or should it detect correctly 360 ?

Rob wrote:Sounds like your pad has perhaps seen better days? Maybe your cable has a loose connection? There are no special choke settings, other than the ability to use a MIDI note in addition to aftertouch messages for choking.

I personally like to have as many different sounds at my disposal as possible, but I think it depends a lot of your style and the pads you're using.
punkouter2021

Post by punkouter2021 »

How about edge and bow ? I think I prefer AD2 which only has one sound for cymbal.. though kinda sad the 3 zones on the cymbal goto waste

Mylo wrote:
punkouter2021 wrote:Looking at AD2 and SD3 it seems AD2 only has ONE crash cymbal sounds right?

And SD3 has about 6..

Do it really make a difference ? Who plays the bell of a crash cymbal ?
For me this is personal preference. Of all the rock songs I’ve ever played I don’t think I’ve ever heard a crash bell. Ride bell yes... crash bell no. Not that I’ve noticed anyway. So do you need bells on the crash... probably not if most of your drumming is just doing covers.

But... if you are more of a percussionist and you want to get all the musicality out your drums that you can (think Neil Pearl R40 solo) you don’t want to be limited in any way, shape or form. Having bells on all your cymbals, even your hi-hats, gives you more options to be creative. All my cymbals are three zone ATV and with SD3 every one of them is setup for bell/bow/edge and choke. I just like it that way.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

punkouter2021 wrote:How about edge and bow ? I think I prefer AD2 which only has one sound for cymbal.. though kinda sad the 3 zones on the cymbal goto waste
I think you definitely want edge... that’s the crash part. Bow is nice to have for the same reason as having the bell. I believe Sid (from the band Boston) used the bow of his crashes in More Than A Feeling.
punkouter2021

Post by punkouter2021 »

So I guess if theres only one sample for crash its the edge right?

Maybe its good enough. .. Its like positional sensing.. maybe in the end if I used it and didnt use it the end user could never hear a difference anyways
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

punkouter2021 wrote:So I guess if theres only one sample for crash its the edge right?
I would assume so. But my experience is limited to SD3 and a little playing with SSD5.
Maybe its good enough. .. Its like positional sensing.. maybe in the end if I used it and didnt use it the end user could never hear a difference anyways
Yep... it all comes down to what your music requires and what your budget allows. If your audience is mainly non-drummers or non-musicians, drunk and slam dancing in the pit they can’t tell if you miss a couple of beats much less know the subtle differences between edge/bow/bell.
monospace

Post by monospace »

If it's in SD3 and my cymbal pad can trigger it, I use it. Same with toms; I use heads, clicks, and rimshots.
You'd be surprised how useful it is to have different bell sounds available.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Ratamacue

Post by Ratamacue »

Yes, all three zones + choke. During quiet, melodic passages (classic rock) I might softly tap the bow and bell across all cymbals. For example, check the the outro of "Ready for Love" by Bad Company. ....and Rush covers without choke?... forget about it!
Ludwig Breakbeats A2E | DDRUM Redshots, Roland RT-30K | Roland PD-120, CY-5, CY-14 (2), CY-15R, VH-10, Yamaha PCY155 | (2) ED10 + ED4 | SD3 + EZD3 + BFD3 | ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 40GB | Behringer UMC404HD