Change sidestick to rim click

monospace

Change sidestick to rim click

Post by monospace »

If, like me, you hardly ever play sidestick and you find the sidestick sound quite jarring when you accidentally hit your rim the wrong way... Change it to a rim click sound! It sounds much more natural.
And with the Bank Switch option, it's easy to go back and forth if you so desire.

Assuming you're using Superior Drummer 3, the rim click sound is MIDI note 71 (B3). Sidestick is 37 (C#1).
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
AKA Wayne

Re: Change sidestick to rim click

Post by AKA Wayne »

Nice tip. I’ve gotta try this.
LooseSends

Post by LooseSends »

monospace wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 am
If, like me, you hardly ever play sidestick and you find the sidestick sound quite jarring when you accidentally hit your rim the wrong way... Change it to a rim click sound! It sounds much more natural.
And with the Bank Switch option, it's easy to go back and forth if you so desire.

Assuming you're using Superior Drummer 3, the rim click sound is MIDI note 71 (B3). Sidestick is 37 (C#1).
With my Alesis snare I had done that (on AD2) but still sounded weird so I built a separate trigger for rim click attached to the snare and set rim hits/SS to rimshot for now.

My main problem is that rim hits share the same articulation curve as the snare and since this snare has a nasty hotspot in the center I have to squish down the articulation so that I don't get annoying, slammed snare sounds just because I didn't keep the hit a couple inches off-center. This kind of kills the feel for rimshots since it can't be tuned to the force of the hit.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If you go to advanced mode, you can have separate velocity curves for head, rimshot, and side stick.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:08 am
If you go to advanced mode, you can have separate velocity curves for head, rimshot, and side stick.
yes, start there, but if that’s not enough, you can crank the volume of the rim click way up inside SD3.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.