USB cable length - eDrumin

Thumdar

USB cable length - eDrumin

Post by Thumdar »

I'm aware that eDrumin uses USB 2, which has a max speed of 480mbps.

1) If I buy a cable that's 15 feet, will there be any latency or pops/clicks issues? I've read length an create problems.
2) Would using a USB 3 cable with greater speed remedy any of these issues?

Thanks!
monospace

Re: USB cable length - eDrumin

Post by monospace »

I'm using a 15ft USB cable with a 6ft extension without any problems at all.

My understanding is that cable length isn't really an issue unless you're talking 60ft or more. And even then it's kinda negligible.

USB3 will not make a difference.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Thumdar

Post by Thumdar »

monospace wrote:I'm using a 15ft USB cable with a 6ft extension without any problems at all.

My understanding is that cable length isn't really an issue unless you're talking 60ft or more. And even then it's kinda negligible.

Thanks monospace! That's great to hear. Getting my edrumin 10 this week and EXCITED :D
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

Thumdar wrote:
monospace wrote:I'm using a 15ft USB cable with a 6ft extension without any problems at all.

Thanks monospace! That's great to hear. Getting my edrumin 10 this week and EXCITED :D
I also think that the cable is only used for configuration. After it's setup, you only use the midi cable.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

While you can, you don't need to use a MIDI cable at all. It's a USB MIDI device, so it passes MIDI over the USB cable and the MIDI out port.
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

Rob wrote:While you can, you don't need to use a MIDI cable at all. It's a USB MIDI device, so it passes MIDI over the USB cable and the MIDI out port.
Good to know
Ratamacue

Post by Ratamacue »

The maximum length of USB 2.0 cable is 5 meters (~16 feet). Powered USB hubs or repeaters can extend that to 30 meters.

Reference:
http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable ... reakingusb
Ludwig Breakbeats A2E | DDRUM Redshots, Roland RT-30K | Roland PD-120, CY-5, CY-14 (2), CY-15R, VH-10, Yamaha PCY155 | (2) ED10 + ED4 | SD3 + EZD3 + BFD3 | ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 40GB | Behringer UMC404HD
monospace

Post by monospace »

It’s true that I haven’t been able to find USB cables for sale longer than 15ft, but like I said, I’m running one of those right now plus a 6ft extender and I’m not noticing anything amiss.

Ideally I would run my 25ft midi cable to my rack, and use an iPad to run eDrumIn controls at my kit, but my current midi interface has an annoying tendency to conk out randomly (I checked: it does that with shorter cables too) so for now, extended USB it is. Absolutely zero issues.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.