First Week w/ ED10

ayjaysmith

First Week w/ ED10

Post by ayjaysmith »

I've had my ED10 for a week now and overall I am very happy. With the visual tools available in the app, I have been able to eliminate all double triggers and most false rimshots/sidesticks.

The only things puzzling me are:
  • Seemingly random increases in gain on the snare. Midway through a song the volume of my snare trigger gets LOUD. resetting the cable connections fixes it.

Positional sensing is still a challenge on the snare. However this may be due to the A2E, DIY nature of my triggers and the fact that the bearing edge tolerances on this cheap acoustic kit are...let's just call them "generous."

AD2 registers a constant, very minor input from the hi-hat pedal (from an Alesis Nitro Mesh). Also, at times the pedal will lose it's ability to choke an open hi-hat note. Recalibrating the pedal fixes the choke issue, but not the constant input issue.

MacOS app crashes every 10 min or so. (MacBook Air 2014 running 10.15.16 Catalina.)
These have not preventing me from enjoying the kit. Great work Rob!
perceval

Re: First Week w/ ED10

Post by perceval »

Point 1 and 3 seems to be cable related.

90% of my woes involve a bad cable. Sometimes, the soldering is not great, or the cable is frayed a bit.
Swapping different cables usually proves the point.

I sometimes get stuck in a loop looking at all the settings, playing around, but the trouble was physical.

I haven't had a single crash from the app since I have been running it, on Windows, Mac and iPad.
Try to find the crash report and send to Rob... he might be able to help with that.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Please do send me crash reports. That's the easiest way to fix any problems.

As for the constant input from the hihat, when you go to calibrate it you might need to adjust right side of the green bar with your mouse to ensure that red indicator falls just to the left of the green bar.

Lastly, can you please update to the latest version of the Control Application / firmware. There have been bug fixes that would probably account of the rest of the strange behavior you are seeing.

Regards,
Rob
Sly

Post by Sly »

What kind of cone do you use ?

Something that maybe has to be known for DIY snare is that the foam material of the cone is a parameter that can prevent the postional sensing to work.

I've made some tests with Roland cones (bought at Drum-tec), Quartz cone, and DIY cone made from rubber foam.

All those foam works great for triggering, but only the Roland and Quartz cone let PS to work on my TD-30.
I haven't done the same test with eDRUMin, but it should be the same.
The problem with some foam types is that it's not able to vibrate at hi frenquecy, I'd say that at least 500hz are needed for position detection, as this detection is made in the 2 or 3ms of the scan time. Those foam types don't come back in place quickly enough, and then don't give a waveform corresponding to the actual movement of the mesh head.
Poron foam is the one used by Roland and Quartz.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Sly wrote:What kind of cone do you use ?

Something that maybe has to be known for DIY snare is that the foam material of the cone is a parameter that can prevent the postional sensing to work.

I've made some tests with Roland cones (bought at Drum-tec), Quartz cone, and DIY cone made from rubber foam.

All those foam works great for triggering, but only the Roland and Quartz cone let PS to work on my TD-30.
The problem with some foam types is that it's not able to vibrate at hi frenquecy, I'd say that at least 500hz are needed for position detection, as this detection is made in the 2 or 3ms of the scan time. Those foam types don't come back in place quickly enough, and then don't give a waveform corresponding to the actual movement of the mesh head.
No PS issues with Jobeky cylinder foam type either.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

MWJT42 wrote:
Sly wrote:What kind of cone do you use ?

No PS issues with Jobeky cylinder foam type either.
Head tension played a role in getting PS working with my Jobeky trigger. At first it wasn’t working very well. But a suggestion from this board, I believe it was Rob, asked me to tighten my head. After tightening the head things cleared up and now I can trust PS. The only issue is when I hit the drum head right above the bearing edge I sometimes get a rim click. I figure there are some physical limitations to all this PS stuff so I just make sure I don’t get too close to the edge. :D
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Mylo wrote:The only issue is when I hit the drum head right above the bearing edge I sometimes get a rim click. I figure there are some physical limitations to all this PS stuff

Yeah, that used to happen, but now I very rarely get a rim click. That isn't PS, that's getting your rimshot settings dialled in just right.

I use the drum tec real feel heads. As well as feeling brilliant, PS seems to work really nicely without needing to crank the tension.