Newbie with a specific Use Case regarding midi and Alesis

flaviolovestodrum

Newbie with a specific Use Case regarding midi and Alesis

Post by flaviolovestodrum »

Hi y’all
I become very interested in the eDRUMin but have some questions as to if it would work in my setup.
My setup is and Alesis Nitro drum set with a PDX-100 for a snare, a CY5 as a Hit Hat and a CY13r as a ride.
I use it for two, let’s called them modes, PRACTISE and PERFORMANCE:

- PRACTISE is using the modules sounds and practising using Roland V-drums Tutor and Melodics. The Alesis, after some changes to midi notes can use with Roland V-drum Tutor perfectly, so no problems there, same for Melodics.
- PERFORMANCE is using superior drummer 3, as far as I know that I can use two MIDI USB devices on it, so no problem there even adding eDRUMin to the mix.

My main interest in eDRUMin would be, apart from the obvious expansion potential, would be to use positional sensing on the snare, to use the different zones on the cymbals that I use as hit-hat and ride, and eventually get a FD-9 hi-hat pedal to replace the shitty alesis one.
My doubt is would I be able to connect the eDRUMin to the module through MIDI and use it for PRACTISE with the advanced features like positional sensing, multiple zones and etc, without confusing the module (I assume that the module would not make use of that data and would just register it as a hit to the pad), while also in PERFORMANCE mode being able to use those features in Superior Drummer 3, without having to reconfigure or reconnect everything.
I hope as able to explain my situation, and hope that someone can help me out with this. If it is possible to use it this way.
Cheers!
perceval

Re: Newbie with a specific Use Case regarding midi and Alesis

Post by perceval »

You could plug in the eDRUMin into the MIDI in of your module. Connect module's USB or MIDI to computer/audio interface.
Then, use the Banks as different setups, one for module sounds with no positional sensing, and one for SD3, just make sure the module is on PassThru for the MIDI messages.
flaviolovestodrum

perceval wrote:You could plug in the eDRUMin into the MIDI in of your module. Connect module's USB or MIDI to computer/audio interface.
Then, use the Banks as different setups, one for module sounds with no positional sensing, and one for SD3, just make sure the module is on PassThru for the MIDI messages.
Thanks!
Makes sense and should work, but even after reading eDRUMin manual and nitro's manual the only thing that I haven't been able to find out if Nitro supports passthrough, the only thing that it says is that "When syncing the module with another MIDI device, the Nitro module can only be the master, not the slave. ", which I don't know if it is relevant in this context.
perceval

Post by perceval »

I think they mean that if you want to play module's sounds, you can plug another MIDI unit into the MIDI IN port, and have those played through the module, but if you use the Alesis module to send to the eDRUMin (or any other module), then you will only get MIDI info, and no module sounds.

It is a bit weirdly formulated sentence.

They could have said the MIDI out port only sends MIDI information, and no sound.
perceval

Post by perceval »

But I have zero experience with Alesis modules, so, maybe you could try to ask on an Alesis forum if the Nitro does allow MIDI passthru.
flaviolovestodrum

perceval wrote:But I have zero experience with Alesis modules, so, maybe you could try to ask on an Alesis forum if the Nitro does allow MIDI passthru.
I'm doing exactly that, thanks!
Arran

Post by Arran »

I use edrum in parallel with a Nitro Mesh kit. Both devices are connected via USB to my pc and I use various drum VSTs hosted by my DAW.
The Nitro unit won't pass through midi from the edrum, it also won't accept incoming midi to trigger its internal sounds if its USB is connected to the pc.
Presuming your hihat pedal is the same as mine, then what is a 3 position pedal (open, half, closed), when used with the Nitro module becomes 4 position when plugged into the edrum and used with external software.
flaviolovestodrum

Arran wrote:I use edrum in parallel with a Nitro Mesh kit. Both devices are connected via USB to my pc and I use various drum VSTs hosted by my DAW.
The Nitro unit won't pass through midi from the edrum, it also won't accept incoming midi to trigger its internal sounds if its USB is connected to the pc.
Presuming your hihat pedal is the same as mine, then what is a 3 position pedal (open, half, closed), when used with the Nitro module becomes 4 position when plugged into the edrum and used with external software.
Mine's a non-mesh version of the nitro, so I can't be sure the pedal, but it's good to know that I might be able to wring more use out of the hi hat pedal. Anyways, if decided to get the new ED10, it seems to fit better with what I need.
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

Arran wrote:I use edrum in parallel with a Nitro Mesh kit. Both devices are connected via USB to my pc and I use various drum VSTs hosted by my DAW.
I have a Nitro Mesh module too. You said that the internal sound won't be triggered if it's USB connected, but will it trigger them if it's not connected ? Also will it trigger them if it's connected with midi out ? What I was wondering, can I use eDRUMin and the Nitro module without a VST ? If I want quick practice, I would not have to boot a computer and if I want better sound, I coud start my computer.

Thanks.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Edrumin midi out >Nitro midi in, Nitro USB disconnected = Edrumin triggers Nitro's internal sounds.
From memory in this scenario the Edrumin's midi isn't passed through to the Nitro's midi out.
Short answer - with your pc off you can trigger your Nitro sounds from your edrumin.