Hi-Hat Pedal question

dsteinschneider

Hi-Hat Pedal question

Post by dsteinschneider »

I'm very happy with the pedal and how it maps to Superior Drummer. Chick and splash work perfectly and I'm used to how I have Superior Drummer hi-hat nodes mapped.

A drummer visited my studio and asked if I could improve the action when you begin to release the hi-hat. We moved up and spread out the bottom nodes in Superior Drummer but I was wondering if changes to gain and travel might improve* that all important tight to closed to open 1 portion as you begin to release the pedal from 127.

* Improve as in a curve where the travel from when you release the pedal as it goes from tight to closed to open1 is exagerated
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Hi-Hat Pedal question

Post by Rob »

That's definitely possible. In fact I already have all that coded in the firmware, but it's not fleshed out on the UI side of things. I'll add that to my list of things to do, but for now bug fixes are my priority.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Hi Rob,

Absolutely no hurry on that request. Glad to hear it's in the works. I think people will really like that feature :D

BTW, as I think about it I realize that expanding closed to open motion smoothly is probably going to require more of your wizardry.

Doug
kristerbluegenes

Post by kristerbluegenes »

Hi I'm new to all of this and have a basic question that i have not found on the forum:
- What do we choose when selecting "pad type" for Hi hat. There is no Hi hat "pad type"....i've tried dual zone and, no matter what i choose, i can't get a sound from the hi hat. I can get sound from everything except the hi hat. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Are you talking about a sound from your hihat pad, or from your hihat pedal?
kristerbluegenes

Rob wrote:Are you talking about a sound from your hihat pad, or from your hihat pedal?

Both.. for example, for the cymbal i selected "dual zone cymbal", for the snare "mesh mounted Piezo" etc... what should i select for the Hi hat as the "pad type"?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Probably dual zone cymbal. What type of hihat are you using?
kristerbluegenes

Rob wrote:Probably dual zone cymbal. What type of hihat are you using?

Hmm ok.. i did try that one. Made the most sense...I'm using a Jobeky Hi hat and cymbals. Cymbals work well, hi hat is the problem. I'll keep trying..
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The hihat cymbal should be plugged into one of the four inputs in the front. The hihat pedal should be plugged into the single connector on the back.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I have a Jobeky hi-hat.

The Jobeky top hi-hat cymbal is a dual zone cymbal so just set it up as any other dual zone cymbal using a TRS cable. The controller is a VH-11 and works very well.