Field 18” 3-zone Ride

Mylo

Re: Field 18” 3-zone Ride

Post by Mylo »

Pim wrote:
Mylo wrote:
Exci wrote:Can you get both signals to trigger at the same time using a splitter with eDRUMin?
I think you can. According to the manual... dual mono (two single zone pads connected to a single TRS cable). You have a single TRS coming out of the device and split to the single zone pads. Wiring seems possible. But triggering at the same time? Don’t know. If I had a splitter I’d give it a go.

Rob?

Hi,

I am using a normal Stereo-Y-Cable that is connected to two pads: my bass and my crash. You can tweak the settings for both individually and also play both simultaniously. It works.

The cool thing is, with the Edge Sense function, I still have a dual zone crash, both edge and rim trigger just fine for me (I'm using two different crash sounds...I haven't tried it yet with, let's say, HiHats when you would trigger the pad more often).

But getting a sound from both mono pads does work either way.

Best regards,
Pim
Thanks Pim. This is pretty standard functionality with other modules and I assumed eDRUMin could do it too. A lot of people use splitters to add more toms and simultaneously triggering sounds never seems to be a problem with these other modules.
Pim

Post by Pim »

Mylo wrote: Thanks Pim. This is pretty standard functionality with other modules and I assumed eDRUMin could do it too. A lot of people use splitters to add more toms and simultaneously triggering sounds never seems to be a problem with these other modules.
As I just recently learned: there are also special splitter cables for e-drums...well, for certain e-drum modules that is which need these specific splitter cables. With them it seems that you can't trigger both at the same time. And standard splitter cables (Stereo-Y-Cables) won't work with these modules (if I remember correctly it had something to do with the Ohm value).

But for the eDrumin you can just use a standard Stereo-Y-Cable. As you would use to go from your headphones out to two stereo speakers (L/R).
Exci

Post by Exci »

Mylo wrote:
Thanks Pim. This is pretty standard functionality with other modules and I assumed eDRUMin could do it too. A lot of people use splitters to add more toms and simultaneously triggering sounds never seems to be a problem with these other modules.
That would be news to me. With a Roland module and a drum-tec splitter it's not possible. If you use a splitter for two toms for example, you cannot get two sounds if you hit them together. You can flam them, but simultaneous hits produce only one signal.

Pim wrote: As I just recently learned: there are also special splitter cables for e-drums...well, for certain e-drum modules that is which need these specific splitter cables. With them it seems that you can't trigger both at the same time. And standard splitter cables (Stereo-Y-Cables) won't work with these modules (if I remember correctly it had something to do with the Ohm value).

But for the eDrumin you can just use a standard Stereo-Y-Cable. As you would use to go from your headphones out to two stereo speakers (L/R).
That's pretty convenient, as the "other splitters" that you mention can get quite pricey ($30 for mine) which would add too much to the total cost.
I assume you still can't get choking if you split a cymbal?
Pim

Post by Pim »

Exci wrote:
Pim wrote: As I just recently learned: there are also special splitter cables for e-drums...well, for certain e-drum modules that is which need these specific splitter cables. With them it seems that you can't trigger both at the same time. And standard splitter cables (Stereo-Y-Cables) won't work with these modules (if I remember correctly it had something to do with the Ohm value).

That's pretty convenient, as the "other splitters" that you mention can get quite pricey ($30 for mine) which would add too much to the total cost.
I assume you still can't get choking if you split a cymbal?
Hi,

I can't check this right now but if I remember correctly, Dual Mono mode still let's you assign a choke midi note so it should work.

But maybe Rob can verify this.

Best regards,
Pim
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

No choking is available in Dual Mono modes. If the UI lets you set a value there, then it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Bell Sense and Edge sense should still be available. Just no choking.
Pim

Post by Pim »

Rob wrote:No choking is available in Dual Mono modes. If the UI lets you set a value there, then it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Bell Sense and Edge sense should still be available. Just no choking.
Thanks for the clarification. I can check next week if the UI shows choke or if my memory just played a trick on me.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I checked. Looks fine.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Exci wrote:
Mylo wrote:
That would be news to me. With a Roland module and a drum-tec splitter it's not possible. If you use a splitter for two toms for example, you cannot get two sounds if you hit them together. You can flam them, but simultaneous hits produce only one signal.
Good to know. I shouldn’t be speaking with authority on this matter anyway since I don’t own any of these modules. When I read about people using splitters they never mention the drawback of losing sounds on simultaneous hits. I just assumed it worked or people would mention it.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

There are no problems with simultaneous hits on two mono pads connected to a single input. I thought you were asking about cymbal choking on a mono pad. Sorry for the confusion.
Pim

Post by Pim »

Rob wrote:There are no problems with simultaneous hits on two mono pads connected to a single input. I thought you were asking about cymbal choking on a mono pad. Sorry for the confusion.
Both questions were part of the discussion so your clarification on the cymbal choking in dual mono mode was still valuable.