Field 18” 3-zone Ride

Mylo

Field 18” 3-zone Ride

Post by Mylo »

I recently acquired a Field 18” 3-zone ride cymbal. According to the Field manual it is comparable to a Roland CY-15R. It has two jacks. This cymbal is one where the bell is actually separated from the rest of the cymbal to help with zone isolation.

My problem is I can’t get the bell to work properly. When I hit the edge I sometimes get a bell articulation but when I hit the bell all I get are low volume bow articulations.

I’ve tried both methods... using one jack with bell sense and both jacks in a traditional Roland setup.

Any suggestions?

(For reference my Jobeky 3-zone ride works just fine.)
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Field 18” 3-zone Ride

Post by Rob »

I read somewhere that's it's switchable between 3 zones over a single TRS and 3 zones over two jacks. How is yours setup?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Rob wrote:I read somewhere that's it's switchable between 3 zones over a single TRS and 3 zones over two jacks. How is yours setup?
This is the cymbal https://fieldelectronicdrums.com/?produ ... ide-3-zone

My cymbal does not have a jack box with the A-B option switch. Mine has two jacks labeled Output 1 and Output 2. On the Field web site they call this option: DUAL OUTPUT JACKS. 3 zones on 2 jacks (Standard).

Possible useful link. https://fieldelectronicdrums.com/?page_id=2578. Warning... the page load is slow. This link is attempting to take you to the Connections and Settings section of the page but the page jump doesn’t always work. Just click Connections and Settings at the top of the page.

Page 5 and 14 of the Field manual also has possible relevant information. This cymbal is supposed to be very Roland friendly.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

This is from Field support:

—————
You will need to use piezo/switch for the output 1 on the cymbal for bow/edge. The use output 2 for the bell which is piezo only. Think of the ride cymbal as 2 cymbals in 1. The bell is on a separate output jack 2 and gets assigned the bell sound. The edge of the cymbal is a switch while the bow is a piezo on output jack 1. Set the bell threshold higher for more zone isolation if you need to, it’s up to your playing preference.
—————

Given the above I don’t understand why this isn’t working.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Based on the excerpt from the manual, you will need to set the pad up as two separate cymbals.

Output 1 should be setup as a Dual Zone cymbal (piezo / switch) and will handle the bow / edge. Output 2 should be setup as a Mono Input (you can use any pad type) and will serve to trigger the bell. You'll likely need to turn up the xTalk on both inputs to prevent them from triggering each other.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

That works. Simple. I can eventually split this jack with my base drum so it really works out better this way.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Exci

Post by Exci »

Can you get both signals to trigger at the same time using a splitter with eDRUMin?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Exci wrote:Can you get both signals to trigger at the same time using a splitter with eDRUMin?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Exci wrote:Can you get both signals to trigger at the same time using a splitter with eDRUMin?
I think you can. According to the manual... dual mono (two single zone pads connected to a single TRS cable). You have a single TRS coming out of the device and split to the single zone pads. Wiring seems possible. But triggering at the same time? Don’t know. If I had a splitter I’d give it a go.

Rob?
Pim

Post by Pim »

Mylo wrote:
I think you can. According to the manual... dual mono (two single zone pads connected to a single TRS cable). You have a single TRS coming out of the device and split to the single zone pads. Wiring seems possible. But triggering at the same time? Don’t know. If I had a splitter I’d give it a go.

Rob?

Hi,

I am using a normal Stereo-Y-Cable that is connected to two pads: my bass and my crash. You can tweak the settings for both individually and also play both simultaniously. It works.

The cool thing is, with the Edge Sense function, I still have a dual zone crash, both edge and rim trigger just fine for me (I'm using two different crash sounds...I haven't tried it yet with, let's say, HiHats when you would trigger the pad more often).

But getting a sound from both mono pads does work either way.

Best regards,
Pim