ghost triggering of one pad

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
bpjacobsen

ghost triggering of one pad

Post by bpjacobsen »

I cannot for the life of me figure out why my one pad is triggering when I hit the hi hat pedal. The pad is completely separate from the hi hat and not at all touching eachother in any way. It is very random. sometimes I can go for a bit playing without it triggering then boom, it just sneaks in there at random. I tried viewing the ED screen to see if I could see what note it picks up but nothing shows when that sound triggers while I"m hitting the hi hat pedal. In SD3, I don't have note 23 assigned to anything other than the pad itself. this is a true head scratcher. any suggestions?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: ghost triggering of one pad

Post by Rob »

Isn't 23 assigned to the closed pedal note of the hihat pedal?
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

see attached. I see where it shows 23 as 'splash' in the hi hat settings. Is that my issue? In SD3, it just shows the midi as the instrument I added, nothing hi hat related. So I'm assuming that splash = 23 is the culprit? but then why does it only trigger the other sound sometimes vs everytime I hit the pedal? I don't have a membrane on the hi hat. just the box trigger and the pedal controller.
Attachments
midi2.png
midi2.png (49.89 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
midi1.png
midi1.png (71.67 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
ED hi hat settings.png
ED hi hat settings.png (170.89 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

OK, so I had tried a couple other numbers that were tied to different hi hat notes in SD3 but presumably were not being used and I still was getting the triggers of the one pad. then I decided to try one that was labeled as snare edge or something and that seemed to work without issues. I'm really only using rim clicks and snare center with some stacking for edge etc on the snare. but not truly triggering edge or whatever. I guess this will have to do for now. seems like with this giant kit of mine, i"m running out of options. LOL
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

So have you confirmed that the issue is with the hihat sending out the splash articulation? Why not just reduce the splash sensitivity? You can do that by making the green rectangle in the "Splash Sense" control both taller and narrower.
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

So now I am getting random triggers on number 127 which is one of my octobans. I confirmed none of the hi-hat levels or anything related to hi hat is assigned at 127 in ED so I"m at a complete loss with where it is getting this from. makes no sense.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Have you checked the MIDI monitor?
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Well, I just tried to make it happen again and now it seems like it's not happening anymore. very strange. will report back if it comes up again. thanks
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Still a bit stumped but I think I finally fixed it.

So it started happening a bunch again but it was when taking my foot off the hi-hat to open it. In the Midi monitor I found that it was triggering number 86 which had my number 127 mapped to it. So I clicked on the instrument in SD3 and removed 86 and replaced with 127. then had to re-learn it by hitting the pad and selecting that instrument. seems to have stopped now. But I still can't decipher why it was triggering that number from the hihat. nowhere in ED do I see anything with hi-hat linked to 86 including all of the levels if I go to that mode. the one where you can adjust the sliders for different levels of pedal. none of those showed being mapped to 86. would love to know where this is coming from.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The eDRUMin MIDI monitor said it was coming from the hihat? Can you post a screenshot of your settings for your pedal input?