Can I connect three eDRUMin 4 in a powered USB Hub?

Intini

Can I connect three eDRUMin 4 in a powered USB Hub?

Post by Intini »

Hi,
This is my first post. I just want to trigger SD3 (VST). I used to have a Roland TD-20 (back in 2007) but I sold it and now I am starting again. I still don't have any pads or other parts. I came here for advice. I would like to get one eDRUMin 10 to start. But since the eDRUMin 10 is out of stock until August 2023, I am thinking about buying three eDRUMin 4s and connecting them to a powered USB hub hoping to get a 12-port system to set up a new e-drum kit to trigger SD3 (VST). Will it work? Or should I just wait for August 2023?
Thank a lot.
Last edited by Intini on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mylo

Re: Can connect three eDRUMin 4 in a powered USB Hub?

Post by Mylo »

It will work just fine. I had four ED4s before the ED10 was released. Ran them through a hub just like you are describing. Works great.
Intini

Post by Intini »

Thank you so much for your kind reply. That is very good to know indeed!
Is there an advantage of using an ED10 over three (or 4!) ED4s? What was your rationale? Was it a consolidation move to simplify your setup?
Will this arrangement be better, in terms of accuracy, than a TD-20X or TD-30 to trigger SD3 (VST)?
perceval

Post by perceval »

One unit is always a bit easier to diagnose problems when they arise. Also easier to update the firmware!

Myself, I use a ED10 on one side (computer side) and one ED4 on the other side, connecting the pads that are farther away from the computer, leaving only one cable running right to left of the kick drum, instead of 5 or 6. Using the ED10, I can daisy chain the 4 to the 10, so no need for a hub.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Intini wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:08 am
Thank you so much for your kind reply. That is very good to know indeed!
Is there an advantage of using an ED10 over three (or 4!) ED4s? What was your rationale? Was it a consolidation move to simplify your setup?
Will this arrangement be better, in terms of accuracy, than a TD-20X or TD-30 to trigger SD3 (VST)?
Mostly I wanted 20 inputs. Then came manageability of devices. With the two ED10s I didn’t need the hub anymore. I had first generation ED4s so the ED10s also brought better hardware if I’m not mistaken.
Intini

Post by Intini »

Thanks Mylo and perceval for their kind replies.
It is a shame I cannot get an ED10 soon (only Oct/2023).
What strategy would you follow in my place? Should I get an acoustic kit now to start the ball rolling and wait until October 2022 to get two ED4s and then convert my acoustic kit and wait August next year to get a ED10? Does this plan look reasonable?

Alternatively, I was also thinking about Audiofront's DSP Trigger plugin - perhaps as a momentary solution. I have a very powerful audio interface from RME (Fireface UFX+) with several inputs. Could this be used instead in the mean time (for a year) with the converted acoustic kit?
Intini

Post by Intini »

Hi, just an update!
I saw ED4s for sale here on Audiofront website and I just bought 3 units! So, at least now I can move on to setting the whole kit up.
Any suggestion as to what to avoid in terms of pads, brands, DIYs?
I was thinking of buying a Pearl Export acoustic drumkit and converting it either with DIY triggers or buying ready-made triggers. And cymbal wise I am also in doubt where to go, either Roland or other brands. Any experiences or suggestions?
Currently I am checking a small Brazilian company that sells the triggers, cymbals, and hi-hat controller, called (coincidentally) eDrum MIDI (!). Does anyone have experience with this company?
Last edited by Intini on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacko

Re: Can I connect three eDRUMin 4 in a powered USB Hub?

Post by jacko »

diy is an undertaking. plenty of people do it, but you have to be 'in it for the journey'. if that's you, have a look at the diy threads here and on the vdrums forums for advice

if you're more interested in 'just playing' and looking for a relatively fast and cheap option, i would recommend looking at lemon pads and cymbals (search this forum and also the vdrums forums)

getting 2nd hand Roland or Yamaha pads and cymbals is another possibility worth looking at depending on prices and the 2nd hand market where you are
jacko

Post by jacko »

duplicate post
Intini

Post by Intini »

Thanks, @jacko! I will go the DIY way. I would like it to "look" acoustic, too.
I decided to start a new thread asking advice on the a to e conversion on Vdrums.com forum because I realised that asking the question on this same thread would change the subject considerably.
Here I simply asked about what brands to avoid (if any) with respect to the eDRUMin4s I bought. I also asked for suggestions on cymbals for the eDRUMin4s and asked about a particular trigger manufacturer in Brazil, but then these will not be DIYs.

The new thread asking for suggestions on a new the A to E conversion using eDRUMin4s is on:
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/performanc ... recordings