VH-11 noise/unwanted movement in hihat CC

Iskulaatikko

VH-11 noise/unwanted movement in hihat CC

Post by Iskulaatikko »

Hi!

I had a weird noise with my hihat pedal (vh-11) and was trying to figure out how to fix it.
https://youtu.be/5Icdw7fJzrA

The video shows how there's some constant movement going on, and i have no clue where it's coming from. i tried the following:

- Switching between cables, stereo plug patch cables
- disconnecting my dtx-12 from the usb through port, no effect.
- testing another usb midi cable,
- making sure there was no physical vibration on the controller, by removing the vh11 pad
- restarting just about everything in my setup
- nothing in the ground would shake or vibrate the hihat stand either

I'm on a macbook pro 2019, osx Catalina.

The problem appeared yesterday in rehersals and i've never had this issue before. I'm having a rehersal today aswell, and will try to reply with more info if needed, but most likely will not be able to deeply dig into the issue before sunday, but if there's a quick fix i'm missing, i'm all ears.

Any tips are welcome, thanks in advance!
Rob
Site Admin

Re: VH-11 noise/unwanted movement in hihat CC

Post by Rob »

What.do you have the polarity setting set to?
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Well, I agree, that's a strange one.

(Though it doesn't appear mechanical in nature) I would start with a complete inspection of all the mechanical bits related to your hi hat pedal, the obvious being...
Is the VH-11 cymbal well attached?
Is the clutch rigidly connected through to the footboard? - meaning the rod that runs through the core of the hi hat stand.

Apart from that, there's a way to diagnose it rather quickly, which I'm sure you've considered. If you can get to a music store or a buddy's kit, do the swap out experiment - swap your VH-11 onto another module and vice versa. You'll know where the root cause lies - either in the module or the VH-11.

If it's the VH-11 it seems that it could be the mechanical piece that converts pedal position to electrical resistance that sits under the hi hat cymbal and rests on your hi hat stand plate. Though a Roland replacement part will run you well over $100 used on eBay, fortunately you can get a GoEdrum equivalent on eBay for about $60. I have one that i've never really used if you want to pick one up quickly. I'll sell it for $25 plus shipping.

If it's the module, I'm afraid that's obviously more of a concern. That said, it could be the hi hat pedal input jack. I had a TD-7 years ago that had a similar issue and all I had to do was touch up the solder connection of the jack to the PCB with a soldering iron.

Hope this helps.
Iskulaatikko

Post by Iskulaatikko »

The polarity was set to auto. Never had to touch it before so i didn't.

I just connected my laptop back to my setup, and the problem had magically disappeared, without touching anything. I'm just now curious what could have caused it, if it comes back at some point.

I'll report back if the problem reappeares, as i don't have the time right now to dig deeper into it right now, but i'll keep an eye on it. I now set polarity to Roland.

weird. and thanks for the quick reply, as usual. :)
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That issue can happen if you connect the hihat to the eDRUMin when it's not properly setup on the stand--especially if you connected the cable to the eDRUMin first before connecting it to the hihat. I suspect if you set the polarity to 'Roland' instead of 'Auto' the issue won't return.