eDRUMin version 2 Alpha

perceval

Re: eDRUMin version 2 Alpha

Post by perceval »

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party!

Just loaded V.22.
Didn't have much time other than updating and hitting all the pads, making sure they trigger still.
No problem there. :)

A quick little thing, cosmetic only.
When you select a new Drum Map, the tambourine and clap pictograms disappear, and by clicking Advanced/Standard, they re-appear.

I hope to have more time tomorrow.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Anyone interesting is the BETA version of the iOS Control Application can get it through TestFlight with this link:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/X8YyFO6m
monospace

Post by monospace »

I'm a little confused as to the Note Bank functionality in the Alpha.
It seems like once I make my pad a Kit Piece, all Note Banks have to then be kit pieces as well?
That's fine for triggering percussion bits on a BT-1 for example.
I'm using a switch to change note numbers on my rack tom pads, but when I change that to Kit Pieces I can no longer get the numbers I want. I'm guessing I would need to create a custom Kit Piece? It's not at all clear to me how to go about that.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

monospace wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:04 am
I'm a little confused as to the Note Bank functionality in the Alpha.
It seems like once I make my pad a Kit Piece, all Note Banks have to then be kit pieces as well?
That's fine for triggering percussion bits on a BT-1 for example.
I'm using a switch to change note numbers on my rack tom pads, but when I change that to Kit Pieces I can no longer get the numbers I want. I'm guessing I would need to create a custom Kit Piece? It's not at all clear to me how to go about that.
I was confused as well, but then Rob explained to me that note banks for kit pieces only change the MIDI channel. You’ll have to use custom notes I believe to do what you want on your rack tom pads. I don’t know if a footswitch can be programmed to only change custom note note banks vs all note banks which would include kit pieces note banks which are midi channel only changes.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It should be reasonably easy to implement changing the kit piece of an input with a footswitch, but perhaps that's something for version 2.1.
Ratamacue

Post by Ratamacue »

Rob wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:04 am
Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:44 pm
- lastly, I can’t see the purpose for note banks and kit pieces. It may make sense but I didn’t see anything in the manual excerpt on this post explaining what note banks do for kit pieces. I accidentally manually changed a note bank for the HH pedal, and I noticed the the TD-17 was no longer receiving pedal notes. Even though the MIDi notes for that note bank and kit piece appeared to be correct. Seems to be an error.
Having the banks accessible when an input is set to 'Kit Piece' allows you to still change the MIDI channel of the input using a footswitch, while still using the notes defined in the map. I'm sure someone out there will use it.
I would be looking to switch between 4 VST drum kits preloaded into RAM in the following manner:

Note Bank 1: Superior Drummer 3 / SD3 Drum Map / Channel 10
Note Bank 2: EZ Drummer 2 / EXD2 Drum Map / Channel 9
Note Bank 3: EZ Drummer 2 / EXD2 Drum Map / Channel 8
Note Bank 4: EZ Drummer 2 / EXD2 Drum Map / Channel 7

This would allow me to instantly switch between kits with no kit load time. I never implemented this before because I was too lazy to manually enter scores of MIDI notes across 4 banks.

Is this doable in V2 or can drum maps not be saved to a note bank? The quote above "while still using the notes defined in the map" makes it sound like drum maps are global across all note banks.
Ludwig Breakbeats A2E | DDRUM Redshots, Roland RT-30K | Roland PD-120, CY-5, CY-14 (2), CY-15R, VH-10, Yamaha PCY155 | (2) ED10 + ED4 | SD3 + EZD3 + BFD3 | ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 40GB | Behringer UMC404HD
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It was doable in version 1.6 and is still doable in version 2.0. You will need to set all your inputs to 'Custom Notes'. Once set to 'Custom Notes' you can still load those notes from the drum maps just like you did in version 1.6. No lose of functionality.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:18 am
It should be reasonably easy to implement changing the kit piece of an input with a footswitch, but perhaps that's something for version 2.1.
Okay, but seeing your latest comment, I should just not bother with Kit Pieces for what I want to do.

I have a footswitch that lets me change note numbers for my (physical) rack tom, so I can switch between triggering Tom1, Tom2, or Tom3 in Superior Drummer. The "Kit Piece" paradigm doesn't apply here, am I right?
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Yes, that's correct. I didn't think about switching kit pieces with a pedal earlier. It seems like such an obvious omission, but honestly it was pretty difficult just to map brain around how to make everything work without loosing functionally from version 1.6
monospace

Post by monospace »

Okay, so maybe the Kit Pieces thing in its current configuration is not for users like me, and that's fine. I'm just glad that I have been able to focus on playing ever since I got my eDrumIn, and shit just works. That said, the re-worked hi-hat controls in the v2 Alpha are worth the price of admission alone. Keep up the good work!