Hotspot not detected

A collection of useful threads for troubleshooting issues.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Hotspot not detected

Post by Rob »

Leave HHS enabled and don't use a velocity curve.
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

Rob wrote:Leave HHS enabled and don't use a velocity curve.
Ok thanks, I sent it.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

So I looked at the data, and it's better. I can now clearly see the hotspot signature, however your signal is still too hot and that clipping is preventing HSS from working properly. Also, you have the 'amount' control way too high. Drop it down to about 50% and you'll see an improvement.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

thenewdrummer wrote:
Now the trigger is directly stick to the bar with the double side tape that was already on the Quart Trigger.
Glad it's working better for you.
Is that foam tape? If not, that may be the cause of your signal being too hot as Rob mentioned. Mine is stuck on with 1-2mm foam tape.

For most of my triggers I have a 10mm block of foam under the piezo (as that's how the Goedrum ones came to be made up), they are stuck down securely using sticky pads or doublesided foam tape.

Did you change the head?
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

Rob wrote:So I looked at the data, and it's better. I can now clearly see the hotspot signature, however your signal is still too hot and that clipping is preventing HSS from working properly. Also, you have the 'amount' control way too high. Drop it down to about 50% and you'll see an improvement.
Thanks for checking it.

Would a 27mm piezo work differently than a pot or it's about the same thing?
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

MWJT42 wrote:
thenewdrummer wrote:
Now the trigger is directly stick to the bar with the double side tape that was already on the Quart Trigger.
Glad it's working better for you.
Is that foam tape? If not, that may be the cause of your signal being too hot as Rob mentioned. Mine is stuck on with 1-2mm foam tape.

For most of my triggers I have a 10mm block of foam under the piezo (as that's how the Goedrum ones came to be made up), they are stuck down securely using sticky pads or doublesided foam tape.

Did you change the head?
No there's foam tape because some recommendations told me to not use it. I don't know exactly what it's under because they came like this but it's a double sided tape with some kind of rubber but really thin, not 1mm thin. I could try the foam tape, in the worst case it wouldn't work and in the best case it would :)

Are you using 27mm or 35mm piezo? Is all your trigger goedrum? You said for most there's a block, the one that you are talking, does it have any or just the foam?

I didn't change the heads because they are quite expensive in the equation and because I was able to make the HSS work. It seems only direct hits are too hot. Maybe the angle or light of the picture were not good because they really have great reviews. Have you seen this : https://youtu.be/B5YjZ3Big_g I've also read it at couple of different places. Maybe I will do it later.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Mine are all 27mm piezos.

Goedrum side mounted for toms
Jobeky AI for snare.
Kick also has a Jobeky AI bar, with a DIY trigger as the one it came with was damaged. I put a larger piece of foam behind the piezo on the kick as the skin is moving quite a bit relative to the others.

Snare trigger photo attached if that helps:
PXL_20201107_171821848.jpg
PXL_20201107_171821848.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1552 times
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

MWJT42 wrote:Mine are all 27mm piezos.

Goedrum side mounted for toms
Jobeky AI for snare.
Kick also has a Jobeky AI bar, with a DIY trigger as the one it came with was damaged. I put a larger piece of foam behind the piezo on the kick as the skin is moving quite a bit relative to the others.

Snare trigger photo attached if that helps:
20201107_123939_9537.jpg
20201107_123939_9537.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Thanks, it looks a lot alike. I might have to try 27mm piezo
20201107_123939_9537.jpg
20201107_123939_9537.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Sly

Post by Sly »

I might have to try 27mm piezo
definitly
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

Sly wrote:
I might have to try 27mm piezo
definitly
OK so using 27mm piezo work so much better than the 35mm.

I still sometimes have some more louder hit but I think it's only some tweak that I need to do.

So the 35mm was really too hot for my build.

I was a little bit afraid to tried it because I had to unstick the hi quality Quartz Trigger to remove the piezo that came with it to replace it with a 0.10$ piezo bought on Ali Express but it works :)

So if anyone is buying a trigger for the eDRUMin, you should consider more 27mm than 35mm piezo.