Hi Hat

A collection of useful threads for troubleshooting issues.
mrantarctica

Hi Hat

Post by mrantarctica »

Having moved to my Hat now, I've set up an ATV 14" cymbal with a Roland VH-11. What I'm noticing is that there is a lot of re-triggering when playing the cymbal. What I think happens is that the cymbal vibrates whenever struck, and as a result there is an additional 3-4 hits registered for every actual hit. This sounds like playing quad flams every time I'm playing the hat which is quite annoying. Just wondering if anybody has managed to solve this issue of isolating the cymbal more effectively. I'm using Pearl Demonator Hi Hat Pedal and the clutch came with that. Will post a screenshot when I get a chance.
mrantarctica

Re: Hi Hat

Post by mrantarctica »

For the time being, I've had to resort to using my PCY-155 as the hat instead of the ATV aD-14. It actually works much better as the hat as it is a little larger. I have set up all the zones to trigger the edge sound. Overall, I don't have the same problem as the ATV cymbal, and am able to still play fast patterns as I don't need to set the decay and hold times to extra long in order to get rid of the double triggered notes. Overall, I would say the Hi-Hat plays pretty OK, probably about 70% of a real hi-hat.

What has also been pointed out somewhere else, but is a very valid point is that it also depends on what samples you are triggering. I have found that sometimes a kit piece triggers very poorly in Superior 3.0, and then I change to a different piece and without changing any trigger settings, the triggering is much more realistic. It goes without saying that when you tweak settings, make sure you check the settings on different kit pieces as the results may vary significantly!
Gemini8026

Re: Hi Hat

Post by Gemini8026 »

mrantarctica wrote:For the time being, I've had to resort to using my PCY-155 as the hat instead of the ATV aD-14. It actually works much better as the hat as it is a little larger. I have set up all the zones to trigger the edge sound. Overall, I don't have the same problem as the ATV cymbal, and am able to still play fast patterns as I don't need to set the decay and hold times to extra long in order to get rid of the double triggered notes. Overall, I would say the Hi-Hat plays pretty OK, probably about 70% of a real hi-hat.

What has also been pointed out somewhere else, but is a very valid point is that it also depends on what samples you are triggering. I have found that sometimes a kit piece triggers very poorly in Superior 3.0, and then I change to a different piece and without changing any trigger settings, the triggering is much more realistic. It goes without saying that when you tweak settings, make sure you check the settings on different kit pieces as the results may vary significantly!
Absolutely. Ive gotten so frustrated over some hi hat play only to switch the Hats used and find it much better