Brand spankin newby

ace70

Brand spankin newby

Post by ace70 »

Hi All,
Just wanted to ask everyone’s sage advice.
I have built an AtoE hybrid converted kit, which is going to a Yamaha DTX502 module.

2 rack toms, floor Tom with single centre triggers, snare with 3 perimeter head triggers, and rim trigger, and single triggered kick. Yamaha ride, 2 crashes, and a RHH135 hihat.

Have been having issues triggering my rim on the snare utilising a Keith Raper circuit, and with other peculiarities and limitations, have decided to go down the VSTS route with an eDrumIn unit.

My question is, if I get an edrumin4, using Superior drummer 3 on a PC, can I have my cymbals going through my DTX module, which is connected to a PC, and the drums going through the edrumin4, which is also connected to the PC, all powered by Superior Drummer 3?

What connections will I need, in what order, and what cabling?

Trying to get my head around audio interfaces, midi in/out, latency, etc…

The DTX502 only has midi out, same as the eDrumIn 4,
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Brand spankin newby

Post by Rob »

You should be able to use both of them together. Just connect both of them with the USB cables and in Superior Drummer, you will be allowed to select both the eDRUMin and your DTX.
ace70

Post by ace70 »

Rob, thanks so much for the reply.
I’m currently wiring up my snare.
I’m installing 3 piezos around the perimeter, and placing one on the shell itself for rim shots.
As I’ve been wiring up the Tom’s for cabling into a Yamaha module, I’ve been configuring the jack wiring for that.
Trouble is, to trigger the rim sound on the snare the Yamaha module requires a switch, with me now having my drums going into the eDrumIn,
Should I stay with Yamaha wiring, and the eDrumIn will pick up the rim piezo?
Or should I swap over to Roland wiring?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If you think you might occasionally use the pads with your Yamaha module still, then you should probably keep the wiring Yamaha style. The polarity shouldn't make a difference to the eDRUMin.