Metal Dual Zone Cymbal - HiHat swells and splash ?

Ronyd

Metal Dual Zone Cymbal - HiHat swells and splash ?

Post by Ronyd »

Couple of pics attached showing eDrumin HiHat and Pedal displays.

I'm using Addictive Drums 2. The Hihat is a DIY controller, bow piezo, and edge membrane. The controller uses a TCRT5000 Infrared Reflective Sensor. the Pedal is set to Expression for power. No issues with pedal travel. Works as expected. Calibration looks good.

With the Hihat open, striking the hihat i get a note 57 ==> AD2 HH Open D with open sound. Closing the HiHat, note 48 ==> AD2 HH Foot Close and sound off. Works as expected.

Questions;
1. Performing a swell, note 57 ==> AD2 HH Open D with open sound, BUT, Closing the HiHat, note 48 ==> AD2 HH Foot Close , the sound is not turned off. what should i be looking for in the logger?
2. Splash Sense - even though the pedal transient travels up and out of the box, not always getting a foot splash (note 48 followed by note 8), only a closed hihat note 48. Why do i need to set the time window to be so high ? What triggers a successful foot splash?
Attachments
HiHat Display.jpg
HiHat Display.jpg (105.79 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Pedal Display.jpg
Pedal Display.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Metal Dual Zone Cymbal - HiHat swells and splash ?

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure why AD2 is not properly choking your open hihat, but that's unlikely an issue with your eDRUMin.

The controls for splash sensitivity take into account other factors that can't be controlled from the UI, so maybe one of those is affecting your hats.

That said, when I look at the movement of you hats, it seems like the signal is bottoming out too easily and not rebounding quickly enough, which is likely the source of your problem. Within reason, you should always be able to apply extra pressure on your hats to get them to close tighter. What I mean by this is that it shouldn't be easy to close the hats and get a CC4 value of 127, you should need to apply a fair amount of force. Mechanically on a two piece hihat, this pressure resistance is handled by the flex on the cymbals. On something like a VH-10, Roland provides a rimg with some foam on it to add extra pressure sensitivity as well as a firm rubber dampener on the bottom of the hihat cymbal.

The issue with your setup could be with the sensitivity of the sensor, the calibration in eDRUMin or a design issue that's not giving the needed pressure sensitivty and causing your hats to bottom out hard.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Thankx rob, i had previously viewed the vh10 video. Looks like i have more work to do to understand the action of the hats using a dw5000 stand.
Thankx for explaining
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:19 am
I'm not sure why AD2 is not properly choking your open hihat, but that's unlikely an issue with your eDRUMin.

The controls for splash sensitivity take into account other factors that can't be controlled from the UI, so maybe one of those is affecting your hats.

That said, when I look at the movement of you hats, it seems like the signal is bottoming out too easily and not rebounding quickly enough, which is likely the source of your problem. Within reason, you should always be able to apply extra pressure on your hats to get them to close tighter. What I mean by this is that it shouldn't be easy to close the hats and get a CC4 value of 127, you should need to apply a fair amount of force. Mechanically on a two piece hihat, this pressure resistance is handled by the flex on the cymbals. On something like a VH-10, Roland provides a rimg with some foam on it to add extra pressure sensitivity as well as a firm rubber dampener on the bottom of the hihat cymbal.

The issue with your setup could be with the sensitivity of the sensor, the calibration in eDRUMin or a design issue that's not giving the needed pressure sensitivty and causing your hats to bottom out hard.
Hi Rob,

Reviewed your comment again about pedal bottoming out to easy and reviewing the VH13 video. Gone threw the calibration again, and also changed the HiHat Level Mode to Control Change to view the pedal display. So now i can see that CC4 of 127 doesn't not reports until I apply more pressure to fully close the pedal.

As far as the swell not turning off when hihat is closed works as expected also. But, (there's always a but LOL), sometimes closing the HiHat does not stop the sound. I hear some other cymbal sound when that happens. Looking at the logger, I see another cymbal note 51. That is cymbal 1 (AD2 China) connected with a splitter on input 6 and the HiHat input is input 9. Looking at the AD2 kit display, sure enough Cymbal1 hightlighted. So the hiHat sound is probably being killed, but I'm hearing the China cymbal.

Is this xTalk and which to be adjusted ?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Increase the the xtalk control for you cymbal.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:54 pm
Increase the the xtalk control for you cymbal.
Learned alot understanding hihat control.. thankx for that Rob.

Still getting inconsistent crash cymbal note when hihat swells. Tried both xTalk and even threshold setting for the crash cymbal.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Is there a path for vibrations to travel from your hihat cymbal to the cymbal?
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:51 pm
Is there a path for vibrations to travel from your hihat cymbal to the cymbal?
Rob, the complete kit is on a rug. the Cymbal is over the Floor Toms opposite the HiHat. see pic.

I also covered the xcymval with a towel so no vibrations could be triggering. Still have it getting triggered.

Really not a big deal because how many times do we swell on hihats. Just curious why this is happening
Attachments
My Low Volume  Kit - eDrumin.jpeg
My Low Volume Kit - eDrumin.jpeg (227.25 KiB) Viewed 2178 times