Yamaha cymbal compatibility issue

evh0u812

Yamaha cymbal compatibility issue

Post by evh0u812 »

Not sure if anyone here may know, I'm guessing Rob may chime in. I've recently converted two 18" lemon cymbals to Yamaha single cable wiring. They work almost perfectly with the Yamaha 3 zone setting with the exception of the edge hit triggers the bell if hit very hard.

I have gain at the lowest setting and it takes a hard edge hit to max out the meter in the software. I wired the cymbals with the 10k resistor as I've always done. I'm at a loss as to what's happening. Next step is to disconnect the bell switch to rule out a mechanical issue. Thoughts anyone?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha cymbal compatibility issue

Post by Rob »

It's almost certainly a mechanical issue. If disconnecting the bell doesn't clean up the issue let me know.
evh0u812

Post by evh0u812 »

Will do. I'll post back when I know.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

I'm not sure if anyone is paying attention to this because it's a year old, but... the lemon cymbals are very hot. I've done the same thing with the yamaha wire conversion but I installed a 100k ohm resistor on the piezo to "cool" the pad. I made a splitter cable with the piezo and edge switch on one lead and the bell on the other. There is a 10k ohm on the edge switch and a 100k ohm on the piezo, nothing on the bell. If the problem is physical the 100k won't help but it has made my lemons less sensitive so I don't have to set the gain at the lowest possible setting and they are easier to dial in.
Glockenklang

Post by Glockenklang »

tjheller wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:35 pm
I'm not sure if anyone is paying attention to this because it's a year old, but... the lemon cymbals are very hot. I've done the same thing with the yamaha wire conversion but I installed a 100k ohm resistor on the piezo to "cool" the pad. I made a splitter cable with the piezo and edge switch on one lead and the bell on the other. There is a 10k ohm on the edge switch and a 100k ohm on the piezo, nothing on the bell. If the problem is physical the 100k won't help but it has made my lemons less sensitive so I don't have to set the gain at the lowest possible setting and they are easier to dial in.
@tjheller: What do mean by “a 100k resistor on the piezo”?

In series with the piezo?
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

I put a resistor in line with the piezo to "cool" the signal directly from the piezo. I made adapters to do this so as to not re wire the cymbal. So in my adapter I put a 100k resistor on the tip, then I split the ring with a 10k ohm resistor on the edge/bell (just one of them) I've had good luck switching the wires around and using the reverse wiring function with my CY16Rs with the same issue you described with the lemon 18. (Bell trigger with hard edge strike. If I can figure out how to add pics I'll send one.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

Screenshot_20221226_094550_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221226_094550_Gallery.jpg (244.22 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1212 times
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi mates!
tjheller wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:35 pm
I'm not sure if anyone is paying attention to this because it's a year old, but... the lemon cymbals are very hot. I've done the same thing with the yamaha wire conversion but I installed a 100k ohm resistor on the piezo to "cool" the pad.
I have some 15" 3-zone Lemon cymbals and 18" one.
On the eDRUMin10R2 I have a GAIN of 1.5.
I switched all the hot snares pads and cymbals to the eDRUMin10R2 device and I was fine.

Unfortunately, I was not aware of that, the input stages of my eDRUMin10R2 where already
"optimized" , so, I was messing around with resistors etc. If you have to build an adapter then this will be a solution.