Presets vs drum maps?

negativei

Presets vs drum maps?

Post by negativei »

So I’m trying to run a all Roland pd8 setup and I’m fiddling around with setting up a preset but not sure I’m understanding how to drag and drop from a drum map or if I even need to be fooling with a map. Is there a way to map from a clean slate? I’ll leave a pic so you can see what I’m trying to do. I’m essentially just using a bunch of pads to integrate into my existing setup like a ferry Bozzio type of deal with dedicated notes. I’m using and ed10 and ed4 with the pads and the 2 Roland trigger pedals you can’t really see. Native Intruments Battery 4 is handling samples. Most of this is maybe learning curve stuff just understanding presets and customs notes. Everybody chime in! Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (441.31 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Presets vs drum maps?

Post by Rob »

If you have an extremely customized setup, as yours seems to be, then using a drum map is probably not going to be of much help. You probably would be better off setting your pads to use 'Custom Notes'

If you are only using PD8 pads, then I would get one pad sounding good in terms of triggering and dynamics and then same a preset for it. Then you can use that same preset for your other pads, and simply change the notes that each pad triggers.
negativei

Post by negativei »

Ah ok. So far I copied the Roland pd8 and used those settings and it’s been working. Haven’t duh in with any fine tuning as I’ve just been trying to get everything to work still. I’ll take your recommendations and dig in a bit and see how far I can get thinks working for me. Thanks!
negativei

Post by negativei »

Ok Rob, I’m understanding the custom notes vs not using the maps but things don’t seem to be bypassing built in mapping even when I click on custom notes.
When I go to change the notes in Edrummin control they aren’t being triggered by the notes from my software. When I check things in midi monitor it’s giving me V1 and V2 from only drum map pads instead of note info I’ve manually put in and saved even when I have it checked to do so. What am I missing?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

negativei wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:05 am
When I check things in midi monitor it’s giving me V1 and V2 from only drum map pads instead of note info I’ve manually put in and saved even when I have it checked to do so. What am I missing?
You're going to need to show me some evidence (screenshots). I just checked here and custom notes is working properly.
negativei

Post by negativei »

10/4. I’m having trouble getting attachments to work in the forums right now so I’ll send pics and/or a vid in messages or an email if that’s cool.
negativei

Post by negativei »

Up and running. Native Instruments has a default midi transpose setting that needs to be set to zero otherwise whatever is reading is shown in midi monitor will register an octave or more (note wise) than what a user sets. Had to go down a rabbit hole but damnit things look pretty perfect now!!!