3-cone setup and ATV aD-S13

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
nemo

3-cone setup and ATV aD-S13

Post by nemo »

Hi Rob, hello All,

Does anybody use the new feature (3-cone)?
If yes, do you use it with ATV aD-S13 or diy?
And most important: does anybody know the necessary wiring/electronics/circuit to make it work with diy snare? I tried with parallel connection of 27mm piezos so far (ceramics to tip, brass to sleeve), no success.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: 3-cone setup and ATV aD-S13

Post by Rob »

AFAIK, there isn't any special circuitry going on. What kind of mesh head are you using?
nemo

Post by nemo »

Tried with roland powerply 14". And real feel, but it doesn't count, as you always emphasize 3 ply do not work.
Ok then, will keep trying with the roland one.
Thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Focus on the Off-Cntr control first.. When you hit the center of the pad, it shouldn't light up. When you hit about halfway to the edge, you should definitely see it reacting.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
nemo

Post by nemo »

Rob, I'm not ignoring you.
Just tweaking. The issue is that the zones are not circles/rings. Trying to play with tension, cones, foam dots under piezo.
In other words the response halfway to the edge via an edge cone is not the same as the response halfway to the edge via the point between two edge cones.
nemo

Post by nemo »

Ok Rob, so I managed to reach the following:
1. I focused on Off-cntr as recommended
2. By tweaking with tension, Off-cntr and Condition I have the circles (more or less)
... so I guess in case of all diy-ers it's gonna be the major obstacle - to reach the round ranges, which depend as little as possible on how close to the cone was the hit.

All above with the Roland PowerPly, very soft cones, 1 mm above the edge of the snare, foam dot below piezo little bit bigger than ceramics. I wrote this as an evidence that I did whatever possible to have minimal hotspot thus it should be easier to get the circular ranges.

Now the issue - the edge indicator does not help. I have the rim zone (three piezos 27mm in parallel) brass to sleeve, ceramics to ring, attached to the side of the snare (located in between the head cones). As far as I understand the manual, the edge control should use the rim zone to set midi 127. The edge indicator jumps by the end of the scale no matter if I hit center or close to the edge, so I'm not able to isolate the edge zone.
Any advise/recommendation Rob?
Attachments
20231127_205455.jpg
20231127_205455.jpg (228.85 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG (111.09 KiB) Viewed 3760 times