Add new icon for metal cymbals using two piezos

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Mr_Bluesguy

Add new icon for metal cymbals using two piezos

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Hi Rob- It appears that many DIY'ers are experimenting with Magnatrack triggers and novel piezo configurations for their LV cymbals.
I have configured a two zone LV ride with one piezo under the bell (non-Magnatrack) and one on the bow (Magnatrack). This works extremely well with the center mesh setting in stereo mode. Striking the bell triggers the SS function and striking the bow triggers the RS. SS is assigned to bell sounds and RS assigned to bow sounds. There is a wide degree of separation easily adjusted in the rimshot range box. Of course it's only a 2 zone cymbal, but I think that many don't necessarily use their ride as a crash.
This configuration works for crash cymbals as well - SS assigned to bell and RS assigned to crash sounds. I know some drummers like to use the bell of their crashes for ornamentation sounds.
The problem is that the trigger icons display a pad for piezo/piezo configurations. It gets confusing looking at all those pads and trying to remember which ones are actually metal cymbals!
I was wondering if you might be able to create a 2 zone metal cymbal icon for 2 piezos and instead of RS and SS designations you could choose bell, ride, or crash. This is so simple and highly effective I would guess many are doing it already. If this was a one-off weird custom request I could understand it not being worth your time, but if others aren't actually using this method they sure might be able to benefit from having a 2 zone metal cymbal option without having to contend with a switch, increasing the edrumin's utility value even further. Just something to consider.....
Thanks.
Ronyd

Re: Add new icon for metal cymbals using two piezos

Post by Ronyd »

Are you using 1 jack for bell and bow?

Seems like a great assessment and justification for your request.

👍
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm glad the problem is simply cosmetic and luckily there is already a solution. What I suggest it that you use eDRUMin drum maps instead of custom notes. That way the icon shown for the input matches the kit piece you have assigned to it, and not the pad type.

Rob
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Ronyd- yes one jack for bell and bow.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Rob- of course. Sometimes the obvious just bites you on the a**! What you said makes perfect sense in retrospect. Since posting, I have been exploring the custom notes page, and am beginning to see how it all works together. I'll give your suggestion a try, but it sure seems like the right solution. Thanks!
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:28 pm
I'm glad the problem is simply cosmetic and luckily there is already a solution. What I suggest it that you use eDRUMin drum maps instead of custom notes. That way the icon shown for the input matches the kit piece you have assigned to it, and not the pad type.

Rob

Cool. Got the icons working now using kit pieces instead of custom notes. Just one more detail (and no big deal) - when I use the 2 piezo center cone in stereo mode input for my cymbals, the triggered notes show as Hit, SS, and RS. Would getting them to show as Edge, Bell/Bow (as would be seen if the input was designated as a 2 or 3 zone metal cymbal) also be a cosmetic fix, or too complicated? Not a biggie, just thrilled to have the proper icons appearing. Thanks for the help!
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:48 am
Ronyd- yes one jack for bell and bow.
ok thankx just checking to make sure i understood.

I'm just did a 3 zone Ride using the Metal 3 zone. Works well. My bow piezos (have 2 equidistant apart. Basicslly form a triangle with the bell piezo) a little to hot so need to calm them down.

Tried to pull this off with a Roland Module (different wiring) but Rob has done such incredible job to make us DIYers not pull out our hair.

More to learn about the module..
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:24 pm
Cool. Got the icons working now using kit pieces instead of custom notes. Just one more detail (and no big deal) - when I use the 2 piezo center cone in stereo mode input for my cymbals, the triggered notes show as Hit, SS, and RS. Would getting them to show as Edge, Bell/Bow (as would be seen if the input was designated as a 2 or 3 zone metal cymbal) also be a cosmetic fix, or too complicated? Not a biggie, just thrilled to have the proper icons appearing. Thanks for the help!
So my plan to deal with this more eloquently is to add an option to the Metal 2-Zone cymbal preset to switch between piezo / switch and piezo / piezo configurations.

Right now you are using one of the mesh pad types and using the Rimshot Range control. Using that control, I assume you are only able to get two separate articulations. Is that correct?
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Rob wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:23 am
Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:24 pm
So my plan to deal with this more eloquently is to add an option to the Metal 2-Zone cymbal preset to switch between piezo / switch and piezo / piezo configurations.

Right now you are using one of the mesh pad types and using the Rimshot Range control. Using that control, I assume you are only able to get two separate articulations. Is that correct?
Correct, only two articulations. Your plan to add the choice between piezo/switch and piezo/piezo in the 2-zone metal pre-set is exactly what I was hoping for! Your responsiveness to problems and suggestions still astounds me. Thanks so much.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

What an amazing product developer.