Roland KD-10 Dual Mono Hack

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Rob
Site Admin

Roland KD-10 Dual Mono Hack

Post by Rob »

KD10-Side (Medium).jpg
KD10-Side (Medium).jpg (151.63 KiB) Viewed 8281 times

So today I managed to hack the mix-in input on my KD-10. The mix-in connection is normally connected in parallel to the output of the KD-10, such that the output and the mix-in are both connected to the tip of the TRS connector, as shown in the image below.

PCB-Normal (Medium).jpg
PCB-Normal (Medium).jpg (143 KiB) Viewed 8281 times

You can see that the Output and Mix-In connectors are simply wired in parallel, and while the jack does have a ring connector, it's not actually connected to anything. So I cut the thick trace between the two tip connections, and rewired it to the ring connector like this:

PCB-Hacked (Medium).jpg
PCB-Hacked (Medium).jpg (114.04 KiB) Viewed 8281 times

Now if I put my kick input into Dual Mono mode, I can connect another trigger to the Mix-In and have two independent mono inputs. As an aside, I actually want that mix-in connection to support a switch, but sadly there's no support for that in eDRUMin (yet). It's on my wish list.
MisterE

Re: Roland KD-10 Dual Mono Hack

Post by MisterE »

Hey Rob,

How do you intend to employ a switch connected to the additional mono input that this modification creates?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Roland KD-10 Dual Mono Hack

Post by Rob »

I would use the switch to change it's note bank. It's not a big priority for me, so it'll wait.