10k Pot to Cool a Head Piezo?

AKA Wayne

10k Pot to Cool a Head Piezo?

Post by AKA Wayne »

Hey everyone. I’m trying to cool down a 35mm piezo. Currently at a gain of 1.0 the piezo is still too hot. Would a 10k pot resistor even do anything to cool the signal down? That’s all I have lying around right now and want some advice before I instal this r buy a new one. Thanks!
Mylo

Re: 10k Pot to Cool a Head Piezo?

Post by Mylo »

From what I understand the size of the piezo plays apart in the amount of energy it produces. So my suggestion is a smaller piezo if possible. And if possible lower it. The standard calls for 1.5mm above the bearing edge but I found with my triggers that makes them hot. I lowered them to 0.5mm.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Thanks Mylo. Size definitely does matter in this case, lol. However my only cone is already adhered to a 35mm piezocand don’t want to risk ruining taking it off and putting it on one of my 27mm piezos. Wow I always thought 1/8in (3mm) was standard, at least on my td12. I’ll try lowering. I’m in the process of redesigning my snare trigger for about the 4th time so I want this one to be nails, hence wanting the pot for further fine tuning. Thanks for the input Mylo. BTW what size piezos are you using?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I use Jobeky AI triggers on my toms and the 4 spoke on my snare. In both cases they use a 27mm for the head and 35mm for the rim. They also use foam cylinders not a cone. I’ve always wondered if the shape of the foam made a difference... cylinder or cone.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Seems like I saw 1.5mm in that famous A2E conversion video. But I just found another article that said 1/8” or 3mm. Seems like everything else in e-drums... do what works for you. On my 12” tom my cone is barely touching the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEm-IcSkepY 3:00 minute mark. Justin at 65 drums says 2-3mm.

So... less than or equal to 3mm seems to be the consensus. :D
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

You should be able to add a 10k pot to attenuate the signal. I've never tried it, but I suspect you would wire it as a rheostat.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Turns out my toms are wired to be voltage dividers following this wiring diagram for Ignotus over at vdrums. Should it work alright in the edrumin if I wire it this way?
Attachments
C91D80E4-FAA5-4788-9197-06FD32C318FD.png
C91D80E4-FAA5-4788-9197-06FD32C318FD.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1220 times
perceval

Post by perceval »

Yes, you can wire a potentiometer to the piezo.

Do you have two piezos on your toms?
You can manage with just one, and turn on Edge Sense to still get two zones out of one piezo. Then you get two toms with one input.

I have 35mm piezos on pretty much all my diy pads.

Which build version are you running with the eDRUMin device?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

I have build 24. Currently my toms are on my td12 hence the two sensors. I think I’ll wire it as a voltage divider if that will work on the edrumin. It shouldn’t have any problems, right?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

I finally got around to finishing my e-snare. The trimpots work as intended and I wired like my diagram shows. I set the gain to 3 which I recall seeing is ideal and then tuned my trimpot so my hardest hit give max velocity. I also had to tune the rim piezo since after lowering the response on the head piezo I was getting false rim triggers. I figure it was because the rim piezo was much more sensitive than the head before tuning it down with the trimpot. All in all I’m super happy with the results. I’m not getting as much hot spot triggering and PS is much more accurate. Before a hard hit on the head cone was sending an edge cc note, but not anymore. So if you’re having this problem, try a trimpot!