Re: Best-care Practices for Preserving the eDRUMin (and connected devices)

Ghersic

Post by Ghersic »

I just bought an eDRUMin and it seems pretty great. I am wondering about how to best care for this unit - specifically, can it be left on for long periods of time? For example, say I leave it plugged into my PC while you're doing other things for work all day, will this shorten the lifespan of the unit or have other negative effects? It's not like it's super expensive, but best to protect the investment!

The eDRUMin seems great.
Last edited by Ghersic on Mon May 04, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghersic

Post by Ghersic »

With respect to preserving other devices, I also recently asked about the statement in the manual that there's a slight risk associated with the wrong device settings on the eDRUMin relative to the plugged in pad, and if this could potentially damage a pad given differences in voltages, etc.

Rob's response was buried in that thread (specific to a given pedal), so I'll quote it here for convenience:
Rob wrote:To be honest, it would be extremely unlikely for any pad to be damaged by the eDRUMin. For switch based pads, the eDRUMin applies about 1V DC to the ring of the TRS connector in order to read the switch. That's a pretty small amount of current and probably wouldn't do any damage if applied to a piezo/piezo pad, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry. And out of an abundance of caution, the eDRUMin also checks to make sure a piezo isn't connected to the ring before applying the 1V, so there's really little be be worried about.

In the case of the KT-10, there's nothing connected to the ring-- no piezo and no switch, so there's absolute zero chance of it getting damaged.
So it sounds like you don't have much to worry, and for simple devices, pretty much nothing to worry about.
Last edited by Ghersic on Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I doubt there is any problem. Electronics have no moving parts really. As long as they don’t overheat, or otherwise get an overload they are happy. Just think about all the devices in you house running 24/7... like a modem/router.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

As with any electronics, being 'on' will shorten its life. By how much is really hard to say. eDRUMin doesn't produce much heat, and doesn't use any electrolytic capacitors, so it should keep going and going for a very long time. As for connected pads, the only damage they will experience while connected to the eDRUMin is when you hit them with your stick :).
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

I have observed over a long career in IT that the computers left on (sleep mode or not) lasted the longest. The ones that got shut completely off every night failed more often.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

dsteinschneider wrote:I have observed over a long career in IT that the computers left on (sleep mode or not) lasted the longest. The ones that got shut completely off every night failed more often.
Same for me. Back in the day I was told to leave a spinning hard drive spinning... the parking of the heads, the platters having to spin up, etc. The initial jolt of electricity was hard on all that voltage regulation circuitry and it eventually fails.
Ghersic

Post by Ghersic »

Sounds good, thanks all. Your work is very impressive, Rob!