Not enough inputs, is another version being produced? I need 15 inputs!

TheJay

Not enough inputs, is another version being produced? I need 15 inputs!

Post by TheJay »

This product looks amazing but I need way more inputs without having lots of hardware and splitters.

Why hasn't a version been made already with more inputs like the MegaDrum module?
perceval

Re: Not enough inputs, is another version being produced? I need 15 inputs!

Post by perceval »

Please read the thread on the device at VDrums.com

I know you have seen it, but if you read than just a couple of posts, you will know why there's only a 4-input version.
Inputs are splittable, so two units would get you about 12 inputs.

As you mention, if you want a bunch more inputs, there's always the Megadrum unit.
vandroiy

Post by vandroiy »

I guess the company Audiofront allocated all their 247 Engineers and 20 factories to build the 4 input version.

Wait...it`s that large of a company? ;)

Sorry for the Smartass comment, but while a "full Module" version would be amazing, the edrumin is out now for little more than half a year and Rob will have to establish the product and it`s features before anybody buys a module.

For me, paying 150 Bucks to try this thing out was a very small risk, but If Rob would have started with a 16 Input Version for 500 $, no way I would have blindly ordered that based on a guy on a forum and a youtube video.
vandroiy

Post by vandroiy »

perceval wrote:Please read the thread on the device at VDrums.com

I know you have seen it, but if you read than just a couple of posts, you will know why there's only a 4-input version.
Inputs are splittable, so two units would get you about 12 inputs.

As you mention, if you want a bunch more inputs, there's always the Megadrum unit.
Right on point.

I have a Standard 5 piece Setup with 2 Crashes and the Ride (all 3 Cymbals have 3 Zones!), the Snare and Toms Dual Zone. Only the Bass Drum is Single Zone.

With 2 edrumins, I still have 1 Stereo Input to spare, which easily could be split into a cowbell and a splash.

Splitting Inputs on a Roland Module was a pain, with the edrumin it`s no hack but a useful feature.
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

I get what you are saying but it all means more cables. Splitters, USB/power and more hardware to hide.

The thing is, every company has to start somewhere and people will always try out a product even if it doesn't yet have a reputation but looks like a good solution.

It would have made sense to come to market with two hardware options in my mind.

I was hoping it was going to be coming out soon but doesn't sound like it.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

At first I was in the same boat as the more inputs crowd but I started looking at the advantages.

1. I have two hi-hats. The MegaDrum only has one foot controller input. I had to buy two MegaDrums anyway to achieve this. I have four eDRUMin devices which gives me four foot controller inputs. I’m using two for the two hi-hats. My plan is to eventually use the other two to control macros in SD3. I should be able to do some interesting things if I ever get around to it. And now that Rob has added note banks I may be able to experiment there as well.

2. Even with four eDRUMin devices, SD3 and a new laptop I still saved $800USD over buying a Mimic or TD-50. I don’t split anything except for my single zone bass and single zone China. All dual zone drums and dual and triple zone cymbals are fully functional.

3. I built up a little case to hold my devices and it really doesn’t take up any more room than my two MegaDrums. Square centimeter wise it is probably less.

4. Cables... In order to run my MegaDrum software side by side with SD3 I had to have the USB cable and a Mio USB-to-MIDI cable connected and have all the inputs and outputs set correctly in all the software. So two cables for the MegaDrum times two MegaDrums is four cables. Four eDRUMins with one USB cable each is four cables... same number of cables.

5. The controller software... WOW! Setup time is measured in minutes not hours like the MegaDrum.

I don’t miss the big multi-input device like I thought I would. It actually works out for the better for me.

If I could ask Rob for one thing right now it would be to allow me to update the firmware over the USB hub. Updating the firmware for four devices is a small pain point right now.
perceval

Post by perceval »

Thanks for the very well explained and concise reply, Mylo.

Some people see problems, others see opportunities.

I can imagine trying to update the firmware of 4 units as troublesome... We'll see if Rob can do something about that in the future...
Maybe something like a cascading system update. But, I'm dreaming... I have no idea how to code! :)
It would have made sense to come to market with two hardware options in my mind.
Well, not everyone has a pile of cash sitting around and wondering..."how should I try to spend this money?"
TheJay

Post by TheJay »

Mylo wrote:At first I was in the same boat as the more inputs crowd but I started looking at the advantages.

1. I have two hi-hats. The MegaDrum only has one foot controller input. I had to buy two MegaDrums anyway to achieve this. I have four eDRUMin devices which gives me four foot controller inputs. I’m using two for the two hi-hats. My plan is to eventually use the other two to control macros in SD3. I should be able to do some interesting things if I ever get around to it. And now that Rob has added note banks I may be able to experiment there as well.

2. Even with four eDRUMin devices, SD3 and a new laptop I still saved $800USD over buying a Mimic or TD-50. I don’t split anything except for my single zone bass and single zone China. All dual zone drums and dual and triple zone cymbals are fully functional.

3. I built up a little case to hold my devices and it really doesn’t take up any more room than my two MegaDrums. Square centimeter wise it is probably less.

4. Cables... In order to run my MegaDrum software side by side with SD3 I had to have the USB cable and a Mio USB-to-MIDI cable connected and have all the inputs and outputs set correctly in all the software. So two cables for the MegaDrum times two MegaDrums is four cables. Four eDRUMins with one USB cable each is four cables... same number of cables.

5. The controller software... WOW! Setup time is measured in minutes not hours like the MegaDrum.

I don’t miss the big multi-input device like I thought I would. It actually works out for the better for me.

If I could ask Rob for one thing right now it would be to allow me to update the firmware over the USB hub. Updating the firmware for four devices is a small pain point right now.
Thanks for your reply. Can you please share photos so I can get a better idea?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

So here was my thinking. I had the MegaDrum sitting on my left side so I have a bunch of 12 feet cables everywhere going to the MegaDrum. When I switched over to the eDRUMin I decided to take advantage of my TRS cable investment and just put all my devices in the same location as my MegaDrum. I needed a good way to mount them. Using the strap was not a good option. So I built a little box.

If I were starting fresh I would consider putting two devices on the right and two on the left and using shorter TRS cables and long USB cable runs. I think in the end it would be cleaner cable wise.

As you can see it is built for six devices. I always have an eye toward expansion. :D

I have a 3D printer coming later this summer. I want to try to print a new box for holding these.

Pictures are attached. Front, back and wide angle for context.
Back
Back
4476092B-ACC6-40B8-8301-E96BEAF906C8.jpeg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Wide angle
Wide angle
1C8BDB47-F450-49EF-A415-74C43CE7F26B.jpeg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Front
Front
3DDA4B55-3E1A-4570-A26B-70A528011609.jpeg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
perceval

Post by perceval »

Those are MASSIVE trs cables!