MIDI over usb or midi cable

OftheSeven

MIDI over usb or midi cable

Post by OftheSeven »

I didn't see this answered yet and getting ready to purchase some longer cables 10ft+ of either USB or MIDI 5-pin.
Some have noted the MIDI out works better on Roland modules than using the USB out.

Is there a difference on the eDrumin module of using either?
perceval

Re: MIDI over usb or midi cable

Post by perceval »

Both are working well.

I suspect that you could buy a USB shielded 10' cable cheaper than a 5-pin MIDI of the same length.
jacko

Post by jacko »

not about ‘working better’, but if u use the midi out on the eDRUMin you have to power it externally too. if u use the usb out it takes phantom power thru usb so no need to use a power adapter
OftheSeven

Post by OftheSeven »

Related to this...is there a usb splitter like this that allows transmission of data to two computers at the same time?
I've only seen splitters with on/off switches.
USB Splitter.png
USB Splitter.png (183.31 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
I'd like to use two computers (one as a 'sound module' to just trigger the SD3) and one to record midi and accompanying musician live instruments.

I'm running the default Gretsch kit in my DAW (Digital Performer).
My MOTU 624 has good RTL but even @ 48000, 128buffer on my 2018 i7/32gig Macmini causes stutters and pops.
perceval

Post by perceval »

It shouldn't be a problem to play, and record the MIDI, with a DAW.
Do you mean you also want to record other instruments at the same time?

Then, I guess the bottleneck is the Mac mini. It doesn't have the fastest connections and components, even if it sports an i7 cpu. It's memory bandwidth is slower, its SATA bandwidth is also slower than most higher end computers.

I do not have experience with Digital Performer, but that might also be a factor.

Any reasons why you are at 48000... CDs are at 44000. Movies usually are at 48000.

I think you can achieve what you want to do, with only one computer, but it would mean upgrades of your computer (bigger and faster), and probably your audio interface as well... a Thunderbolt interface should have enough bandwidth.
Polyphonics

Post by Polyphonics »

OftheSeven wrote:Related to this...is there a usb splitter like this that allows transmission of data to two computers at the same time?
I've only seen splitters with on/off switches.
USB Splitter.png
I'd like to use two computers (one as a 'sound module' to just trigger the SD3) and one to record midi and accompanying musician live instruments.

I'm running the default Gretsch kit in my DAW (Digital Performer).
My MOTU 624 has good RTL but even @ 48000, 128buffer on my 2018 i7/32gig Macmini causes stutters and pops.

I have a similar set up. I tried connecting PCs via ethernet and that was too difficult, when I looked up connecting via USB some guy on a forum said it wasn't going to work so I don't know...

But what I did do is connect MIDI cables between my audio interface in the Drum laptop and an M-Audio midi sport into the Synth/DAW laptop, that's done the trick.
OftheSeven

Post by OftheSeven »

Thanks for the response @perceval.
I achieve great RTL numbers with my MOTU 624 -> thunderbolt -> Macmini.
Ths Macmini has it's limitations but it's great for recording (tons of plugins), never tax the cpu.

Since I also have a 2017 Macbookpro and two authorizations of SD3, I wanted to use the laptop as the 'sound module' to trigger SD3 separately, and record the midi notes on my Macmini with backing tracks or with another artist.
My work around is to pre-record musicians to a click then record the drummer. I will try a midi (5pin) merger box to use with my 2 edrumin modules. I also plan to test with Logic Pro X since it's free 90 days right now :)

I use 48000, 24bit recording out of habit and it gives me better RTL at lower buffers than 44.1k. I submit 48000 to the mastering engineer.
OftheSeven

Post by OftheSeven »

Polyphonics wrote:
I have a similar set up. I tried connecting PCs via ethernet and that was too difficult, when I looked up connecting via USB some guy on a forum said it wasn't going to work so I don't know...

But what I did do is connect MIDI cables between my audio interface in the Drum laptop and an M-Audio midi sport into the Synth/DAW laptop, that's done the trick.
Yeah, I have a feeling a midi merger is the best way to do it. I'm curious what the added latency will be.
Something like these to go out from my 2-eDRUMin units:

https://www.microdesignum.cz/EN/eshop/p ... 2-1-1.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -merge-box
perceval

Post by perceval »

I think with the Mini, the problem is not with the CPU, but with the bandwidth of the memory and hard drive systems.

I don't know of any product that would split the USB data to 2 computers, but then again, I live in a pretty remote place.

Your 2 eDRUMin devices can be added using 2 USB cables. You don't need a merger.

They can be added to your DAW directly, as two MIDI inputs.

Why can't you add the click track and instruments track into DP, then record your MIDI over that, while monitoring via SD3?

The little latency you will have, you can adjust by a few ms later, after recording your drum track.
Polyphonics

Post by Polyphonics »

OftheSeven wrote:
Polyphonics wrote:

Yeah, I have a feeling a midi merger is the best way to do it. I'm curious what the added latency will be.
Something like these to go out from my 2-eDRUMin units:

https://www.microdesignum.cz/EN/eshop/p ... 2-1-1.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -merge-box
I got a little confused reading this so just to be super clear on my end, my MIDI flow goes as follows:

Triggers > eDrumin > Drum Laptop > MIDI OUT of Zoom U24 > M-Audio MIDISport MIDI IN > DAW Laptop

DAW Laptop is recording a MIDI track that I beam back into the drum laptop in post production. Drum laptop plays all the VSTs live in Cantabile. I think if I were to use a MIDI merger in my workflow I wouldn't get any added latency, so I would presume it's the same for you.