Any interest in a touchscreen control for eDRUMin?

Rob
Site Admin

Any interest in a touchscreen control for eDRUMin?

Post by Rob »

Over the past year or so, I've been experimenting with various touchscreens, trying to get a viable solution to control eDRUMin devices.

I've got a very rough prototype working that combines a 5" 800x480 capacitive touch TFT and a rotary encoder, and have ported over some controls from my UI library just to confirm that it can update the screen fast enough. Now that I have confirmed that the hardware is capable enough, I want to figure out it there's enough demand to warrant further development.

The device would plug into the USB host port on the back of ED10 or ED8 and function much the same as the control application, but laid out differently, Here's a render of what my next prototype will look like (my current one is just a mess of wires on a breadboard). The prototype shows a DC power input, but the device is BUS powered and that barrel jack would probably not make it onto production hardware. The onscreen controls can be adjusted using touch, be also touching on a control allows it to be adjusted with the rotary encoder. Touchscreens are not cheap, and I would need to sell the device for at least $150 USD. Is there a market for this?
image.png
image.png (108.35 KiB) Viewed 9960 times
perceval

Re: Any interest in a touchscreen control for eDRUMin?

Post by perceval »

I can see such a device being a lot more precise than a phone app. Select the parameter, use the rotary to dial in perfectly... much better than a big finger sliding across the phone screen.

It would be a niche product, in my opinion.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ya, better than a mouse too, in my opinion.
perceval

Post by perceval »

Indeed!

Been playing electric ukulele lately, and got myself a little fx box that simulates amps, cabs and fx.
There's a bunch of them now, at different price points, and the best ones have that way of doing things. A touch screen to select the parameter, and a rotary to adjust it. Works very well.

Good idea to integrate the two in your unit.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Having the eDRUMin control screen always available (I usually have Superior Drummer full screen) and controlled by a more precise control is an attractive idea.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi Rob,

no, I love the application. It's all there. But I am here in my men's cave.
A touch screen might be helpful for quick adjustments in live situations. I don't know.
Fine tune thresholds, or velocity curves... but the notebook is running for the VST software, so.

Sometime it's actually a bit annoying to get the window focus back on the eDRUMin app,
but not really an issue for me.

I have here several MIDI controllers. :D
So, my suggestion would be to implement a MIDI learn functionality.
Would it be possible to get the app back to focus (Win10) if a certain MIDI event is received,
let's say e.g. for the GAIN slider?

I am using Cantabile 4, and there I can define so called "Bindings". Quite handy.
Like: Sources -> Events -> Condition -> Targets -> Action.
One Action could actually be "Activate Main Window". --- Just checked. Nah. It pops up only when it has been minimized before.
Not when it's just sitting in the background.

Anyway. Maybe you or some other guys find these ideas useful.
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

Rob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:07 am
Over the past year or so, I've been experimenting with various touchscreens, trying to get a viable solution to control eDRUMin devices.
If you made a "silent module" with let's say 16 inputs, a screen and faders to control individual pieces' volume and swap drum maps on the fly I would easily pay $700/$800 if not more for it. It would make my setup infinitely simpler and less fiddly to use.
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

Luckymethod wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:46 am
Rob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:07 am
If you made a "silent module" with let's say 16 inputs, a screen and faders to control individual pieces' volume and swap drum maps on the fly I would easily pay $700/$800 if not more for it. It would make my setup infinitely simpler and less fiddly to use.
I missed a couple features: a few buttons to trigger recording in a daw or load ezdrummer and change presets.

I'll take the first spot in the order queue if you make it 🙂
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

I can see picking up one or two of these for my needs at the suggested price.

Thanks, Rob
jacko

Post by jacko »

i wouldn't buy one personally. The occasional dip into the software is all i need and the computer is fine for that