Planning a new eDRUMin family member

Rob
Site Admin

Planning a new eDRUMin family member

Post by Rob »

With no supply of chips for ED4 and ED10 (I do have one batch of ED10 on the way), I need to redesign using a new processor. Based on the resources available on the device, there are two possible configurations I'm considering.

Option 1: ED7
Seven trigger inputs and one pedal input all on the front of the device. USB, MIDI In / Out DIN, USB Host port on the back.

Option 2: ED8
Eight trigger inputs on the front. USB, pedal input, MIDI Out, USB Host port on the back.

Neither option would include a DC jack or power switch, but could still be powered with a USB charger for standalone operation. The device would take about 6-9 month to develop. Any thoughts? Which device would you prefer? What's more valuable, a MIDI In DIN or an extra trigger input?

Regards,
Rob
brave_kilby

Re: Planning a new eDRUMin family member

Post by brave_kilby »

So ED8 would have no pedal input? Or is it shared with trigger input?

For me personally, it was all about maxing out the amount inputs in the smallest possible package (currently running 2x daisy chained ED10s), but I see the value of midi in for some folk.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The ED8 of course would have a pedal input on the back. I've updated the original post.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Rob wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:46 am
Which device would you prefer? What's more valuable, a MIDI In DIN or an extra trigger input?
since you can split the inputs, and since it's fundamentally a MIDI device, i think the ed7 with more midi connectivity would be a better option

Just a thought - might be worth asking also on the v-drums forum
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Hi Rob,

I think the extra intput is more valuable than MIDI DIN In. MIDI DIN out has been very valuable - I use it all the time to run MIDI out to a recording workstation.

1. Kick / Floor
2. Rack Tom 1 / Rack Tom 2
3. 2 Zone Snare
4. 3 Zone Hi-hat
5. 3 Zone Ride
6. 3 Zone Crash Left
7. 3 Zone Crash Right
8. Extra inputs for wood block, cowbell, other pecurssion

This is a fairly standard setup. On editing this post I realize I could get by with 7 inputs - If I needed percussion I would reduce the hi-hat to one zone.

Question - what do people use MIDI DIN IN for?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

I believe you can use midi in to hook up another controller or module into the edrumin then to your computer. From what I understand it allows for more flexibility in combining systems. I know for some midi in/out is almost essential. I don't see anyone thinking one less input could be a deal breaker but the midi in maybe if you are working with different components. Although I'd never probably use it I'd go for the midi in from a marketability point of view.
AndreaZanini

Post by AndreaZanini »

ED8 would do it for me. I have been waiting for the ED10 for a long time, but would gladly get the redesigned ED8 if that means supply would be less problematic. Would still need 2 to cover my needs, but maxing out number of inputs is preferable.
____
Andy
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

I genuinely can't see any need for MIDI in, so ED8 gets my vote.

Presumably all inputs will have split-mono capability?
AndreaZanini

Post by AndreaZanini »

MWJT42 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:30 am
I genuinely can't see any need for MIDI in, so ED8 gets my vote.

Presumably all inputs will have split-mono capability?
+1 Second this. As per the split-mono I would say yes, like currently possible no?
____
Andy
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going with ED8, and yes, inputs will be still be dual mono capable.