Unofficially supported devices

LooseSends

Re: Unofficially supported devices

Post by LooseSends »

pumpkinking wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:30 pm
I have tested two Alesis e-drum kits (Surge and Crimson II) with a single eDrumIn 10. As such I've been able to try out all of the Alesis components across the two kits through the eDrumIn module. Below are the tested components and my notes.

Summary: all of the Alesis Surge and Crimson II triggers and controllers work properly with the eDrumIn module.

Kit contents tested:

Surge kit:
8” dual-zone pad tom (center/rim)
8” single-zone pad kick (center)
10” dual-zone pad tom/snare (center/rim)
10” dual-zone cymbal (bow/choke)
10” single-zone hi-hat (bow)
DMHat hi-hat control pedal

Crimson II kit:
DMPad 12” dual-zone cymbal (bow/choke)
DMPad 12” single-zone hi-hat (bow)
DMPad 14” triple-zone ride (edge/bow/bell - single connector)
8” dual-zone pad tom (center/rim)
8” single-zone pad kick (center)
10” dual-zone pad tom (center/rim)
12” dual-zone pad snare (center/rim)
DMHat hi-had controller pedal

Comments:
- setup the 12” snare (single TRS connector) for multi-zone with eDrumIn and it works fairly well
- setup the 14” ride (single TRS connector) with 3-zone cymbal support and while the bell trigger is solid, the edge trigger is picked up as bow infrequently, and the bow trigger is sometimes picked up as edge or bell. This is likely an issue in the triggers, not in eDrumIn, as it has degraded over time with playing (and the bow velocities are highly variable with some hot spots on the cymbal)
- setup one of the 8” toms for multi-zone, and I’m somewhat happy with the support (even though I do not use it much as the 8” head is pretty small)
- since there are two hi-hat controller pedals between the two kits, I was able to use a single eDrumIn 10 to configure dual hi-hats in Superior Drummer 3 (not sure I could do this with the two Alesis controllers)
Sounds eerily close to my setup. A Surge kit with the snare moved to floor tom and replaced with a Crim2 12" snare, plus two extra 8" alesis toms and an extra alesis cymbal.

I just received the ED10 and have no problems with setting up pads and the interface features in general, but I'm not sure what the best way to map the pads so Addictive Drums 2 can match them up properly. I think I get that you need to send the right notes from the control software but I'm not that fluent in MIDI so I'm not sure exactly how.

The control software shows the triggers as notes with numbers and ADD2 sees keys. I'm also not familiar with the wiring type for alesis pads whether they use Yamaha wiring or not. I'm so far guessing, not.

I know this is entry level stuff and I'll probably figure it out but was hoping to save some time and headache if there are any tips for mapping a custom kit using alesis pads. To be honest, I thought it would simply be setting up all the kitpieces in the control software (which I've done) and then just having ADD2 midi-learn whatever the ED10 is sending.
DC1970

Post by DC1970 »

@LooseSends - perhaps not really relevant to this thread but does this help ?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=975&hilit=MIDI+NOTE+NUMBERS
LooseSends

Post by LooseSends »

DC1970 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:15 pm
@LooseSends - perhaps not really relevant to this thread but does this help ?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=975&hilit=MIDI+NOTE+NUMBERS
Yes it does, thank you for that. I must've missed that part of the manual I guess.

It's been a pita translating between notes and keys every time the ED10 seemingly randomly decides to change my hihat pedal to a different type of input, or I need to swap pad inputs and reconfigure.
tempoleague

Post by tempoleague »

Anyone know if the new Roland CY-16R-T works with the eDRUMin?
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

Yes it does. I had one for a few days and it worked just as expected.
tempoleague

Post by tempoleague »

Awesome, great to hear. Thanks for the quick reply!
Jf450

Post by Jf450 »

Can confirm that the ED4 and ED10 works flawlessly with Diamond Electronic Drums

Dual zone snare and toms and single zone Bass drum
20in Metal 3 zone ride (Bell triggered on bow hits but now triggers perfectly by adjusting gain and threshold)
16in Metal dual zone china
14,16,18 Metal dual zone crashes
10 Metal splash

Everything seems to setup very well just using the standard metal cymbal and mesh piezo trigger pads settings.
brave_kilby

Post by brave_kilby »

Mylo wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:45 pm
Yes it does. I had one for a few days and it worked just as expected.
Did you manage to get bell sense to work? I can't find a setup where it works with just 1 cable. Any tip on how to set it up or preset would be very appreciated :)

Standard 2 input wiring is perfect though and that's what I use for now.
cdodkin

Post by cdodkin »

I've tested the following Simmons SDS pads (from the 80s) successfully with eDRUMin

Original SDSV (5) Tom Pad - hard plastic surface with metal edge and XLR connector
SDS8 Tom Pad - rubber surface, smooth shell and 1/4" connector
SDS8 BD Pad - rubber surface, smooth shell and 1/4" connector
SDS9 Tom Pad - suspended rubber surface, angular shell and 1/4" connector
SDS9 Dual-Zone Snare Pad - suspended rubber surface, angular shell and 1/4" connector

SDSV and SDS8 pads require a gain of 20 (Max) as they have a lower output from the piezo sensor.
SDS9 pads only require a gain of 4-5, and have much higher output and the best playing surface
SDS9 Dual-Zone Snare has two sensors, and can be set up as dual input to trigger two sounds using a single TRS cable, but curiously not as dual-zone, as eDRUMin complains about the wiring with an error message when you select dual-zone. Dual input works just fine when you tune the Crosstalk settings.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The SDS9 is probably piezo/piezo. Use it as stereo with the mesh side mounted sensor pad type.