eDRUMin 1.6.2 BETA

Dadwrshpdrum

Re: eDRUMin 1.6.2 BETA

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:01 am
I never intended Note Banks to really work that way. The idea of Note Banks was to be able to change note assignments for a pad in a hands-free manner without using the control application.

One of the issues with expanding the Note Banks functionality is that that banks are very rigid. If you move pads around, add new pads or a future device with a different number of inputs, then you Note Banks need a lot of maintenance.

I want to move instead to the concept of drum maps, where inputs are assigned a kit piece id, and they use that ID to pull their note assignments from a drum map.

Here's are the details in point form
-The device only has one drum map (economical), but the Control Application can store store as many maps as you wish.
-Switching maps should take no more than a couple of clicks.
-Maps define 20 kit pieces
-All note assignments for the kit piece are editable.
-Note assignments for a kit piece can be imported from a note bank (so you aren't stating from scratch)
-Maps can be duplicated, deleted, given names etc.
-Switching maps in the control application can switch maps for all connected devices.
-Kit pieces can be dragged and dropped so the note assignments from one piece can be quickly moved to another

Your thoughts?
I like your ideas. It’s refreshing to read your willingness to expand eDRUMin from the original vision to something new.

My suggestions:

I concur with a graphic that included three rack toms and two floor toms. For cymbals at the minimum: HH, Crash 1, Crash 2, Crash 3, Splash, and China would cover most everything. If I counted correctly that is still less than 20 kit pieces.

Any ability to include in the drum map whether the positional sensing is Note or CC? Not the most important thing, but I was wondering.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

We'll see. I'll add provisions in the memory structs for the kit piece images and names, so it could be fleshed out at a later date. One issue is that the data will all be stuck on in the Control Application. If you're on PC and switch to OSX for example, your drum maps won't be available. Might need to add a feature to export all the presets/maps. It might be possible to plug a USB memory stick into the ED10 host port and use that to syncronize.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I managed to implement sending and receiving drum maps to and from devices today. I think I'm just going to implement it in the preset manager. On the right hand side panel, I'll make it so kit pieces from one preset can be dragged and dropped onto other presets. That should make Hang12 happy. I guess I should change Brand Filters to Application Filters to make it easy to see your 'Superior Drummer' maps, for example.

Btw, those 'U' pads are for user defined. If you want a fifth tom, you can simply use one of those. I can probably allow the image for those to be changed to something more meaningful. I could possibly add more user defined kit pieces, but I'm assuming 20 total kit pieces is probably enough.
image.png
image.png (177.23 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:25 pm
I managed to implement sending and receiving drum maps to and from devices today. I think I'm just going to implement it in the preset manager. On the right hand side panel, I'll make it so kit pieces from one preset can be dragged and dropped onto other presets. That should make Hang12 happy. I guess I should change Brand Filters to Application Filters to make it easy to see your 'Superior Drummer' maps, for example.

Btw, those 'U' pads are for user defined. If you want a fifth tom, you can simply use one of those. I can probably allow the image for those to be changed to something more meaningful. I could possibly add more user defined kit pieces, but I'm assuming 20 total kit pieces is probably enough.

image.png
This works for me. Looks great and I like the idea how it will work. I’m so impressed with your willingness to solicit feedback and then turn it into something that is workable. Very cool.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Dadwrshpdrum wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:21 pm
I’m so impressed with your willingness to solicit feedback and then turn it into something that is workable. Very cool.
+1 on this and recent similar comments. i also greatly appreciate the attitude towards user experience in general. bug / fault reports are taken seriously, investigated and dealt with. I've seen no other musical software or edrum companies that come close to this level of support for their product or genuine engagement with their customers. and this from the maker of one of the most innovative products out there

kudos rob
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:25 pm

This is great! Note maps and drum maps and kit pieces and whatever nomenclature to move us forward. I hope that my current allocation of inputs across the two eDRUMin10's mostly fits into this implementation, but hopefully it doesn't matter(?).
Looking forward to new betas versions to try things on for size. ;)
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Still experiencing the 'auto-select won't follow the 2nd eDRUMin10' situation. It happened yesterday after letting the system sit idle for a few hours. I clicked on the second eDRUMin and some hardware triggers were showing as being incorrectly triggered in the control app (as other triggers), and then some weren't being triggered at all after manually selecting them (as shown by the lack of velocity dots) while playing them.
The first eDRUMin continues to be displayed just fine. Power cycling the two eDRUMin's clears this, and again it's just a visual GUI thing, doesn't affect triggering - not a show stopper.
I reported this at the beginning of this beta release, but just wanted to confirm that it continues to happen from time to time.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm implementing the ability to edit drum maps directly in the preset manager so they don't need to be sent to the device to make changes. Do you think I need to include the hihat transition points in the drum map like is shown in the pic? Probably not right. I'm starting to think that I should have made the number of levels fixed at 8. And for applications that use fewer, the note assignment could just be duplicated. That would make the hihat function properly when switching maps without needing to adjust transition points...not really sure what to do here.
image.png
image.png (109.87 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:52 am
I'm implementing the ability to edit drum maps directly in the preset manager so they don't need to be sent to the device to make changes. Do you think I need to include the hihat transition points in the drum map like is shown in the pic? Probably not right. I'm starting to think that I should have made the number of levels fixed at 8. And for applications that use fewer, the note assignment could just be duplicated. That would make the hihat function properly when switch maps without needing to adjust transition points...not really sure what to do here.
image.png
IMHO, adjusting HH transition points is an empirical practice, done hands on while interacting with the device. So, I believe your intuition is correct. You probably don't need to include hihat transition points in the preset manager. Just my two cents.

Thanks for these continued upgrades, Rob!
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:52 am
I'm implementing the ability to edit drum maps directly in the preset manager so they don't need to be sent to the device to make changes. Do you think I need to include the hihat transition points in the drum map like is shown in the pic? Probably not right. I'm starting to think that I should have made the number of levels fixed at 8. And for applications that use fewer, the note assignment could just be duplicated. That would make the hihat function properly when switching maps without needing to adjust transition points...not really sure what to do here.
I'm using CC's, which would seem to be more flexible for cross mapping, as it is determined on the receiving end.
Are you able to copy/paste instruments/pedal presets from one drum map to another, or save and load into a drum map? If so, it might be easier to work outside of this window for this task, then load it into the drum map.
But...honestly I don't really have a grasp on the larger picture yet of how this new functionality is going to work, overall.
Is there a way to share a pre-owners manual, user step by step, outline type of doc? pictures do help. everyone develops products a little bit differently, so if not, no biggie... :)