eDRUMin 1.3 BETA now available (again)

dsteinschneider

Re: eDRUMin 1.3 BETA now available (again)

Post by dsteinschneider »

Rob wrote:I reread the section of the manual about the Rimshot Range control, I feel it's pretty clear. I could go more into the details, but I honestly think the extra information would only confuse the average user. Anyway, I'll give some more detail here.
I agree that the Rimshot Range control is well explained, especially if you add in the YouTube video that covers it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkNsBkd4x-E

I've been involved in software development, some coding back in the day for database applications, but more on the project management side for CRM software. We try to keep the manual as brief and succinct as possible erring on the side of oversimplification. Then we create single subject helpsheets for more elaboration. Often the end users write those after they have mastered the subject.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

MWJT42 wrote: Rob, ever considered a Patreon, as my one off purchase can only support you so far?

Also wondered if you would consider putting the source on GitHub for community contributions?
No, I haven't considered getting a Patreon. Although it's been a very long road, I'm able to make a living from my work and I'm doing okay financially for now.

As for posting my source code, I'm going to have to decline. My methods aren't exactly secrets, however. The UI itself, including this much talked about rimshot range control, show precisely how the device works.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Mylo wrote:I see the sole purpose of this control is to build a rimshot range
AND a sidestick range. Which is not always on the same liner left to right scale. It needs 2 measures to determine when to trigger the Side Stick and Rim Shot.

A left to right 'which sensor is picking it up more' measurement which tells the software when it's not a Snare Head hit (i.e. a white line to the right of the yellow(ish) block)

and then splits this middle area using a 'well how loud was it?' measurement to see if it's a Rim Shot (Green) or Side Stick (Black)

and then there's another 'well that's definitely not a head trigger hit, so it must be a Side Stick, even if it was loud' area to the right of that

So, a left to right control does allow for Snare Head, Rim Shot, and Side Stick areas like you've suggested, BUT, some quieter Side Stick hits are often in the Rim Shot range, so they're set by pulling up the line to allow a black (SS) quieter area under the green (RS).
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

I watched the video for rimshot... nicely done. And it may have generated a little more understanding for me. I may be starting to get this to the point I say don’t change anything.

So the red is head hit. Blue is rim shot and the green is rim. Correct?
BFA8B3BA-5FA5-41D3-9D37-4A09770E56BA.jpeg
BFA8B3BA-5FA5-41D3-9D37-4A09770E56BA.jpeg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 957 times
So even if I have a rim land in the middle section like the very last hit in the video shows and it is in the lower middle block I’m ok?
A0E92794-2A03-4097-B08E-8DC4FAAD5D9D.jpeg
A0E92794-2A03-4097-B08E-8DC4FAAD5D9D.jpeg (171.69 KiB) Viewed 957 times
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Rob wrote:No, I haven't considered getting a Patreon. Although it's been a very long road, I'm able to make a living from my work and I'm doing okay financially for now.
Well, I for one would like to buy you a coffee for the ongoing development. The recent HH changes themselves have improved my e10 beyond anything else I've played, especially being able to have a proper fix to mitigate the issues inherent in SD3 (Roland and Toontrack have been unable to address this!), so feel free to share a PayPal address.
Last edited by MWJT42 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWJT42

Post by MWJT42 »

Mylo wrote:So the red is head hit. Blue is rim shot and the green is rim. Correct?

Yes. Your diagram is actually really useful - Rob, would it make sense to include something a little more like that in the manual?
Mylo wrote: So even if I have a rim land in the middle section like the very last hit in the video shows and it is in the lower middle block I’m ok?
If by OK you mean a Side Stick, then yes.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

When I first updated to 1.3.0.5 (the first one with all the hi-hat improvements) I didn't know to "Link" the pedal input to the input my PCY135 is plugged into so the link went to input 1 which is my kick drum. Every once in a while the kick wasn't triggering on lighter hits. That stopped when I figured out the Link issue and correctly pointed it to the PCY135 input (3).

I'm posting this just in case this is happening to someone else.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

MWJT42, your description of the control is spot on. I could not have said it better myself.

A challenging part of writing a manual is to say everything you need to say and at the same time to occupy the correct amount of space on a page. Tricky.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

MWJT42 wrote:
Mylo wrote:I see the sole purpose of this control is to build a rimshot range
AND a sidestick range. Which is not always on the same liner left to right scale. It needs 2 measures to determine when to trigger the Side Stick and Rim Shot.

A left to right 'which sensor is picking it up more' measurement which tells the software when it's not a Snare Head hit (i.e. a white line to the right of the yellow(ish) block)

and then splits this middle area using a 'well how loud was it?' measurement to see if it's a Rim Shot (Green) or Side Stick (Black)

and then there's another 'well that's definitely not a head trigger hit, so it must be a Side Stick, even if it was loud' area to the right of that

So, a left to right control does allow for Snare Head, Rim Shot, and Side Stick areas like you've suggested, BUT, some quieter Side Stick hits are often in the Rim Shot range, so they're set by pulling up the line to allow a black (SS) quieter area under the green (RS).
Light bulb going off... to understand this control I should have sat down and tried to write the algorithm. Excellent post.
Mylo

Post by Mylo »

MWJT42 wrote: If by OK you mean a Side Stick, then yes.
Yep. That’s exactly what I meant. Thanks for clarifying it.