eDRUMin 1.6.2 BETA

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin 1.6.2 BETA

Post by Rob »

I don't believe there were any changes that would affect the BT-1. I used to use BT-1 in sensor mode too, but ended up creating xtalk mode because I found it was impossible to get BT-1 and the snare triggering properly in sensor mode.

Maybe check that your lug connecting the BT-1 is still tight. I've 3D printed a special cap to cover the lug and prevent it from loosening.
image.png
image.png (792.71 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Setup: ED10 with a VH10 cymbal set to HH levels on an xhat stand, and an ED4 with a VH13 set to HH levels. The VH13 controller signal is split to both ED10 and ED4. The ED10 is set to pedal mode and the midi channel is set to 11. The ED4 is set to impact mode and the midi channel is set to 10. On both pedal inputs the only advanced setting selected is fast stepping fix. I’m using EZD2, and midi map is none. Also I use abelton and I have the midi track set to only MIDi channel 10.

Issue: Doing HH chics/pedal notes there is a faint ring out of a cymbal. When looking at EZD2 I see CC4 and some open tip articulations (this note changes and is intermittent) along with the foot note. My guess it’s the open tip articulations that are ringing out…

My troubleshooting: I changed the ED4 pedal midi channel to 9. I could still see pedal notes and intermittent CC4 on EZD2. That was not expected. There was no ringing out. There is also no foot splashes.

Next I disconnected the ED4 usb cable from the USB hub. No longer saw any more pedal notes or CC4 on EZD2. Other observation (I wasn’t expecting) the ED10 pedal was stuck on tight articulation. Maybe that has to do with the ED4 depowered, and the signals split. I didn’t look any further into this.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That's still just the same old Toontrack auto splash artifacts that you're hearing, the same issue that Fast Stepping Fix is supposed to fix. Fast Stepping Fix is a bit of a hack, and while it greatly reduces the level of the artifacts, it doesn't completely eliminate them.

You can test that this is the issue by ensuring that you foot stays down after performing a pedal note. If you keep your foot down and the ringing is gone, then it's certainly the Toontrack auto-splash that is causing the problem.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:56 pm
That's still just the same old Toontrack auto splash artifacts that you're hearing, the same issue that Fast Stepping Fix is supposed to fix. Fast Stepping Fix is a bit of a hack, and while it greatly reduces the level of the artifacts, it doesn't completely eliminate them.

You can test that this is the issue by ensuring that you foot stays down after performing a pedal note. If you keep your foot down and the ringing is gone, then it's certainly the Toontrack auto-splash that is causing the problem.
Yeah that must be it. Not sure what has changed that I would be getting that. I went back to CC4 for HH and a Roland midi map within EZD2. There was no change.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I thought I'd share some pics of the work I'm doing for the next version. This pic shows the drum map selector in the top right, and this particular pad is set to 'Drum Map Kit Piece' and 'Mid Tom'. If I switch the drum map, it's not assignments will automatically switch to match the drum map. These note assignment can't be changed, but I will add 4 user defined kit pieces that can be customized.
image.png
image.png (164.34 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
The input can also be set too 'Notes', which what will happen when existing users upgrade. This will be the familiar system from version 1.6. These note assignments will not change with the device drum map, but can be changed using bank changes instead.
The attachment image.png is no longer available
Attachments
image.png
image.png (160.48 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:31 pm
I don't believe there were any changes that would affect the BT-1. I used to use BT-1 in sensor mode too, but ended up creating xtalk mode because I found it was impossible to get BT-1 and the snare triggering properly in sensor mode.

Maybe check that your lug connecting the BT-1 is still tight. I've 3D printed a special cap to cover the lug and prevent it from loosening.

image.png
Hi, so I think I understand a bit more about what I’m experiencing and why I noticed it. It appears at times when SS (from BT1) and RS articulations trigger at the same time the RS articulation is prematurely muted. It doesn’t ring out. So you get a sidestick articulation and the first snap of a rimshot that then mutes strangely. So I notice it more.

Today I was playing around with a bit and I was triggering with my right stick the BT1 and with my left hand a rimshot. The SS seems to mute the RS. I recently upgraded from EZD2 to SD3, so I was in SD3.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

I like the 4 user defined pieces - I like to have a wood block, claps and tambourine on my kits.
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rob wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:54 pm
I thought I'd share some pics of the work I'm doing for the next version.
Not sure if it applies to what you're implementing, but is there screen real estate for a 3rd rack tom, for 5 toms total?
I don't know if there is a default note assign for RT#3 in any of the hardware kits, but there are definitely libraries out there with 5 toms (which unfortunately don't seem to be consistently mapped across libraries).
I guess that a RT#3 could fall within the user defined pieces, although graphic placement is kind of nicer.

Or...maybe the end user could define a default kit layout (or number of kit pieces), and then a graphic layout conforms to the personal hardware setup?
How to fit X number of extra cymbals and X number of extra toms (beyond the 'default' 2 crashes, 1 ride, 2 RT's and 2 FT's)?
monospace

Post by monospace »

hang12 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:49 pm
Or...maybe the end user could define a default kit layout (or number of kit pieces), and then a graphic layout conforms to the personal hardware setup?
The graphic layout in the control app reflects the layout of the ports on the physical device.
Allowing users to move it around is going to make things needlessly complicated
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
hang12

Post by hang12 »

monospace wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:20 pm
The graphic layout in the control app reflects the layout of the ports on the physical device.
Allowing users to move it around is going to make things needlessly complicated
Complicated setup is really not what I'm asking for. I'd simply prefer the 'note assignment kit piece' graphic to best represent my own (or anyone's) hardware layout. I'd like to have one more rack tom shown, than what was presented by Rob, rather than having an extra tom or cymbal (or whatever) be placed off to the side - like an 'aux drum', or X-drum.
Possibly implemented would be a graphic layout choice - that represents a 'standard' size kit, and also, a 'larger' kit. With the larger kit, extra toms, cymbals and percussion pieces are graphically in place for assignment, or simply left blank (unassigned). There are plenty of layout examples in the Toontrack SD3 libraries for 5 tom kits (or more).
Or this could be implemented as small / medium / large kit choices.
Just some ideas.
The Roland TD modules are all kit piece hard labelled, other than the AUX In's - so the paradigm is nothing unfamiliar. It doesn't stop anyone from assigning any sound to any hardware trigger. I wasn't suggesting any sort of complication in that regard, for the eDRUMin, because it's all freely assignable anyway.

The main issue is note re-assignment on the fly, and also having only 4 choices via patch changes is limiting. Recalling different note assignment set-ups using two eDRUMin-10's currently requires two different file management tasks, in the control app, and a lot of separate but matching file management tasks in a VST/AU host. For example - if I want to open a 'complete' project from 6 months ago and have everything properly, totally recalled, and playable, it's a lot of forethought, labelling and steps. With the Roland TD modules, I just spin a dial and recall saved patches.

My own best solution may to leave the eDRUMin note assignments fixed, and build a MAX patcher that intercepts the two eDRUMin's (and a TMC-6) outputs and re-assigns notes/channels on the fly, which is then sent to -any- software or hardware sound module. I need that additional flexibility but maybe it's just a larger kit kind of consideration, and not mainstream enough to bother implementing for Rob. Not everybody wants to take the time to roll their own software either, but that is what MAX is for, and it's saved me a lot of extra work many times over.